Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

DWBS

When I noticed this:

If you're using Hotmail, please do not send us your picture. It ends up as garbage over here.

I take it that means anything else as well. Like submissions for the contest? Kinda disheartening...

I got around it by posting the level up at my site, and told where it was in the hotmail link. :)

...but I have no idea if it actually was recived, as I haven't gotten any kind of sign about it. Might be coutious to just make a simple message to reply to people so they don't spam with 50 of the same email, just to make sure. :^)

Test-0

If I could turn back the clock I would redo my entire entry in wadC. I've had to redo a lot of stuff and lost many hours to undoing stupid things wadauthor has done. Wadauthor is the most retarded editor I have ever seen in my life. It has so many stupid bugs- one of which was compressing 6 unique sectors into one for example.

Guest Excalibur_Z

Hey I won't be submitting an entry because of my nonexistant knowledge of Boom-specifics, but here's an idea I think one of you should use (not sarcasm, I used it in one of my levels and found it to be pretty fun).

It has to do with multiple start positions - you know, the Statue Concept. I had a level where I made a maze full of barrels. You start in the middle and there's a BossBrain on the other end. To get to the BossBrain you have to destroy the barrels around you. Once you start the barrels on their course they start exploding in the direction of your Statue, so you have to kill the BossBrain before the trail of barrels reaches the other Player 1 Start.

I timed it perfectly so there's about a 2-second window of opportunity, BUT once you kill the BossBrain and win, you STILL die because the barrels still reach the Statue. You still get credit for beating the level however and you start off the next level with 50 bullets and a pistol.

I think the greatest part about that level was it subjected the player to the ultimate test - not the monsters, but the time.

Someone should use this same idea but in a larger concept (my level was only 3 sectors and that was all there was, it was basically a sketch-map). Have winding turns so that it takes approximately 60 seconds before your Statue dies, so you have to race against time... like an Indiana Jones thing =)

Whaddya think? Would anyone want to use that?

Heh... actually I got a level with a big race against barrels. Pretty fun although no voodoo doll which kills you at the end.

On the subject of guessing who's made what levels, was it by an chance that louis900 retard who made the really crappy 1 sector level? ;)

Guest destROYer

OOOOOOH im a lumberjack and im okay
i work all night and i work all day...

Guest Lowen

These entries are getting progressively more frightening. But what about the ones that .. aren't so good? Would the ones that are just awful enough to be jokes be in a large enough quantity to finally make Mockery out of it? =)

Thanks for your response and suggestion. I don't know if that will work. I don't have a webpage anyway. I think my level is good enough to share with others so I will just upload it to cdrom.com after the deadline expires. That way I can still participate sorta :)

stphrz: if it's a choice between submitting your level through Hotmail, or not entering at all, send it in Hotmail; they might have fixed it so attachments work now, I am not sure.

Man, that's just bad.. I've got a better idea.. Leave the poll table up there, with the nice blue curves it had before, leave the "New in /newstuff" at the right, and if possible, put the latest five comment posts at the right of the poll table. Man, that poll and that curvy table simply belongs up top!

Guest wondersmith

I reiterate that I'd love to see a second megawad for "runners-up" if there's enough good material left over for it. There probably is (with 71 entries and more on the way) and I'd hate to see so much hard work go to waste. Or...do I remember correctly that Boom supports wads with more than 32 maps?

Guest Fingers

I did a timed level way back in '95 or so.. I think it was map03 (not sure?) in dystopia3.. It had a "racing track", you had to reach the finish line before the time runs out.. (damn that episode had some weird levels in it)

I remember that map... the first time I played it and I got through the racetrack, I entered it again and saw that the barriers blocking the way into the buildings along the route had been turned out of the way... I was like, "WTF?!? Since when Can sectors move like that in Doom?!?" Then I opened it in a level editor and saw that you just made parts lower and raise to make it appear as if the obstacles had turned aside :) I had a similar "WTF" crisis when I saw the second-story windows in Addictiv.

Sorry to tell you that, but that idea is actually nothing new.

I suggest you to download Cyber Dreams. It is a TC (32 levels, I think), where your only mission is to kill Cyberdemons - but you won't get any rockets in most of the levels.

Instead you must be strategic, like telefrag the Cybs or crush them. I think the last few levels use the trick with the multiple player 1 starting points.

I cannot remember any TC except CyberDreams that I played through until the final map.

Guest Firebrandt

Ikka are you entering too? That would rock. =)

Guest Fingers

I doubt it.. I thought about it, even did a paper plan for a map.. But we're in a total death-crunch mode at Rogue right now trying to get Alice out of the door, so I probably won't have time to do anything else until it's over..

I don't know if I should do a contest map anyway... Coz, like.. There are people who would need the possible fame/recognition much more than I do.. Or can't afford to buy a good video card or whatever. It's a cool idea though, I might just build a 10 sector map for fun some day.

This entries look impressive, secont shot especially. But as I know that type of fake 3d bridge needs inserting of new cyan-only texture in to the pwad. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm going to have to send in my entry soon too. I don't know what the obsession with cyberdemons is... the toughest nme on my map is the cacodemon (on uv).

I agree with others that I want to see ALL entries, in additional wads or whatever. What would be coolest is if all entries were put in the wad in order of ranking, i.e. map01 being the v5 winner, etc. That way you can start playing, and decide at which point maps start to suck too much to play seriously :) There is no hope in hell you are going to order this bunch of maps in a way that balances ammo etc., so might as well do something fun like this.

Jon: need a beta then? :)

Cool to see that You still check out DW.
Yeah I've played that map. first I didn't get it but it's a really 1337 map. I loved it. Dystopia 3 may not hav been a fave set of mine but it contained alot of cool tricks and nice architecture.

Blood: You're wrong.

PennyWise rules.

BTW: I'm a 3D modeler.

Hi aard :) Yeah I've got an old-ish beta and I've been re-reading the docs, I wouldn't mind knowing what you've fixed/added/improved :D

Guest louis9000

LOUIS9000 SYAS:

hello nIghtmre i do not like to make the ONESECTORCRAPASBALLS lvls like that 1 but I will do a entri if you relly wants.................

/ME SAYS VISIT MY SITE
http://louis9000.50megs.com/

NOOP NAI NOOP NAI CRAWL A VERY LOT

forget the 10 sectors contest, I want to play Alice!
the new layout is nice, but I agree with AB, the old one was better. =/

Guest space-dog

The new version of legacy only "activates" the frist player 1 start, if there is another one in the level then it doesn't do anything. This is a bit wick, 'cos in my level you have to hit this switch and a conveyor belt carries armour and health to the other player start, and you're standing there trying to figure out why you've suddenly gone berserk.

What does orthagonal mean?

Guest Fingers

Ya... Dyst3 to me was all about finding out new ways to exploit the Doom2 engine... There wasn't much planning or consistency involved though, so it probably wasn't so much an episode as a bunch of individual levels in one wad. (many of which were pretty good tho)

Btw, are you the same Ebola I used to play Doom2 with at that funky GameNet BBS in Finland?

Blod: All you need for a 3d bridge like that is a texture that's made of a single patch. (IIRC textures like that show up as "transparent" in DETH)

Guest Jamman

hay!!

Thoses are edge, levels are they aloud?