Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

DWBS

Ling: I will dump wadauthor. It's not a dependancy issue, I've done almost nil mapping for years and the contest deadline kinda stops me from learning another editor... but after this I'm going 100% wadC. Plus BSP. heh.

And wadauthor crashes for me when:
1) I save and load the wad in a version of doom in order to test it
2) I save
3) I attempt to build nodes
4) I attempt to access the properties for something, usually sector/linedef
5) I attempt to change a linedef's texture, therefore requiring the main iwad to be accessed.

I think it might be to do with the wad's being shared in useage between the editor and doom, but I can hardly help that. Incidentally the problems don't go away if you close wadauthor, open doom, close doom, open wadauthor...

In short yes, opinions on editors are all very personal but errors are errors and wadauthor sucks damnit :P

I still use DEU.

Maybe it's just because I've been using it for so long and I have gotten so used to the interface. I can whip out WADs really quickly in DEU, and it's low-level enough that if I find an error, it's very easy to fix.

Editors that have features like "Build stairs/door/room/lift here" and do everything automatically are for the wusses who don't want to learn how the Doom engine really works. ;)

Also, I tried using DETH, but when I tried to make lines using the "select vertices" method, it screwed up the order.

As far as I'm concerned, the only bad thing about DEU is that it sometimes runs out of memory. But as I recall, the DEU source is available, so I could fix that if I knew which compiler to use.

Guest Medieval_Gnome

This is similar to KinkaJoy's post but...

How do you use the [Shift]+[Ins] command to make linedefs? I know how it works in DEU. It always messes up the order (a square sector looks like an hourglass) Also, how do I turn on gridsnap?

In DETH you select all the vertices you want to turn into a sector in clockwise order, then hit shift+insert and then insert.

I use Insert to create linedefs from vertices. Sometimes this messes up the order, sometimes not.

Does Shift+Ins work differently?

BTW: DETH rulez :)

Milkshape is available at http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/

I use WadAuthor for some of my tasks and I must say there are things I don't like about it (It scrambles sector settings occasionally,) But it's one of the easier ediotrs to use and I've learned to work around it by saving quite often. I wish the WadEd source was released like it was supposed to be so long ago...

Guest q.pixel[rex]

Just my way of saying I use DCK lol, from scattered peices of memory, I believe most of the people involved with the Gothic series used DCK am I correct? Interface wise, I still believe Hellmaker on Mac is absolutely the *best* editor ever. It's main feature is the flexibility and the ability to trace out sectors of any shape and in any situation ;-) You guys should dug yo an old mac just to see hellmaker.

They say a bad workman blames his tools- perhaps a bad workman also praises them.

Guest Confusion

Thay doesn't make sense. A bad workman would blame his tools for his bad work; why should he praise them for producing such work?

It does make sense- I'm saying a bad workman would claim his amazing tools allowed him to do it, where as a good workman would be 'Im so skilled' and not give credit to the tool at all.

Jon got the good shit. He's brittish y'now. Seen trainspotting, those schotish dudes man.

It's shite being schotish - Trainspotting