Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

Carmack Interview Part 2

VoodooExtreme has posted part two of their John Carmack interview, which once again talks primarily about the new Doom game and its engine. Here's a sample:

Voodoo Extremist Chris Rhinehart; Human Head Studios -- From what I've read, Doom3 is intended to have a strong single-player experience. What do you anticipate to be the biggest design hurdles to overcome while creating Doom3, as opposed to designing a title intended primarly for multiplayer?

John Carmack -- We sort of went into Q3 thinking that the multi-player only focus was going to make the game design easier. It turned out that the lack of any good unifying concept left the level designers and artists without a good focal point, and there was more meandering around that we cared for. The hardest thing is deciding what to focus on, because DOOM meant different things to different people. We have decided to make the single player game story experience the primary focus, but many people would argue that DOOM was more about the multi-player.

Guest krpeters

Hmmm, while the technical discussions are interesting, I'm annoyed that he hasn't said a damn thing about what the *game* will be like. After all, Doom was more than merely a first-person-perspective game; it was also a wild demon-hunting fireball-dodging shotgun-blasting wild time! Also, I'm perturbed that I'll have to buy a new computer in order to play it. Poor Celeron 433...

More than likely ID are concentrating on the engine and basic design first, and once that is out the way they will begin on the actual gameplay. In other words, they themselves probably don't know what it'll be like at the moment.

Buy a new computer? Umm, why not just upgrade your current one? Bear in mind that when Doom 3 is released, 1 GHz P3s will probably cost the same as, say, a Pii-300 does now (i.e. not that much) :)

Guest Khomin

What's the difference between carmack and a fish.

One of them swims in the sea.

One of them is a fish.

Hmmm.. Do you think J.C. may be actually open-minded about this Doom 3 thing? Many people would argue that DOOM was more about the multiplayer? I don't know if I agree with that, but simply something saying they're open-minded about Doom 3 is good enough for me.

Well, I always believed that Doom I was really a single player game, and that Doom II was more of a deathmatch/multiplayer game. I don't really think Doom II was specifically designed that way, but I think it's pretty safe to say that that's how it turned out. My point is that even if they don't design Doom III for multiplayer, if they do the gameplay right, multiplayer and deathmatch should be incredible as well. And if not, people can always do mods for it to MAKE it kick ass.

I'm annoyed that he hasn't said a damn thing about what the *game* will be like

Well, it *is* an interview with the engine coder on a hardware/coding site :) And graphics engines give me woody..

Uh, yeah doom was more about the single-player experience (because originally it was quite cumersome to set up multiplayer games, was an obscure thing anyway).

I like that they're focusing on single-player (unlike Q3 did), but they should have a multiplayer option available as well so that us DMers don't get lost.

I remember when i used to go on the site and send e-mails that was telling them to make another damn doom. I also use to call 1-800-IDGAMES and want to speak to Carmack to tell him he better get his ass moving. They must of finally listened to me =)

Well, if multiplayer sucks in Doom III, I can always port ST over to there. Hmm, that's not a half bad idea anyway...

hey, the original doom is a great balanced game for SP and DM, and if they can capture that "style" once again, well, they will once again have a GREAT and sucessful title. BTW that shit better run on my p2 350 with my v5 5500, cause if it dont, i ain't getting it.

ST r0x0rz. Carn sucks me.

I think DOOM 3 must be focused in Single player with a good storyline, but It must include some aditional maps for Deathmatch and the posibility to add bots (with this, single player monsters, and bots, the game will be REALLY cool)

i hope so badly that this doom3 will be god and not no flop ...sure q1 q2 and q3 were great games but not as great as the all mighty DOOM.... you see carmack ive been playn your game now for about 6 or seven years and i still play DOOM i love it and let me tell ya i have fought in many battles FRAGGED thousands billions and more and i have never gotten a rush like this before thank you DOOM DOOM DOOM is the shit baby make it god make it surpierior (damn my spelling)screw unreal screw these new generation wanna bes ..DOOM will destroy DOOM shall rule whos with me ...we will make a multiplayer we will make it god we will.. god i tell you carmack type in those five digit letters come on you panzy iddqd with me make it god make my DOOM3 god please make it god please...make itttttttt

ok you know what i forgot what i was sopose to write but im back serious this time whats a first person shooter with out no deathmatch and coop i mean how big are these maps gonna be are they gonna be to big i mean who likes to deathmatch in a huge map not i not anyone really coop yes that can work we need multiplayer cause single player to most can get tiring you know...im not that kind of person im fine with single player but i love multiplayer its great i hope they have it...i need to start using puncuations and stuff

...what if... IF, instead of making totally seprate levels for deathmatch... now stay with me on this... they use the single player levels as deathmatch levels. Gasp you say? Well, I got the idea from some old game... heh. ;)

Test-0

Guest skatepunk

Fuck the story. Nobody reads it anyway. It should be about straight up action! ACTION!

A story can really be cool if it's done effectively. As long as it's not totally in-your-face, or just tacked on for the hell of it, a story, as well as character background, can add a lot to the game.

thats exactly what i what i meant to say ...take single player maps and make em deathmatch maps...i mean shit our community of doom is big enough and im sure that these quakers are gonna play to and in the future when doom comes out well all have some fast connection on the net and maybe more peeps in a game i mean more than just 32 you know if thats the right number i dont know anyway what i would like to see is a would full of deathmatchers just total anarchy that would be great....yes take single player maps and make em into death match that would be awesome... oops i got comapant gotta jet bye de byes