Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

DWBS

Well, it's over. After one month of whoring the 10 Sectors WAD contest, all the entries have been submitted, and now the judging process begins. All in all, counting the maybe 10 or so resubmissions, there were 138 WADs submitted to the contest. That's more than 4 megawads, or to put it another way, "a whole crapload." Looking through the WADs, there might even be enough good ones to create two whole megawads for release, but we'll have to see about that. Release date? Hah, I have no idea. Couple weeks maybe, if I'm lucky, but we shall see.

If your level is almost done but you couldn't submit it for whatever reason, I will still give a small window of opportunity for you to submit your WAD. Not for the prize of course, but just that if you have put a lot of work into it already, you might as well finish it up and submit it a little late.

if you happen to win the v5: get the friggin beta patch. i just patched up and theres such a dramatic increase of preformance in it for UT and q3a. I am retarded....

I totally disagree. The point be not defeated :) I'd put my money on something original out there, an unused effect or combination of effects that someone has discovered whilst restricting themselves to ten sectors.

Guest Retter

Man, it's too there is a window for submission after the deadline, I could've built my shed last weekend instead of this weekend. Oh well.

Where is my hammer ...?

Guest _Dimiter_

I threw in two very interesting effects I came up with wilst making my first set of levels, my.wad. One is a single-sided linedef put in the middle of a sector. The other is a one-line invisible platform. looks like a real fence, with the appropriate textures, of course. Monsters can fly over it, you can shoot bullets, but no projectiles - i.e. just like a normal invisible platform but only a linedef wide. idclip ignores the height change ;-)

LINGUICA!!! DID YOU RECEIVE IT? Please, please, please, say yes!!! save me, ling, help! F1!

Guest _Dimiter_

I know what to do. why not another contest, this time limit the sidedefs to 10. ;-)

Naaaah! {Not that I hate Wolfenstein but... ya know...) Better have a limit on the linedef count. Make it about 100 or something. See what comes out then! :)

Guest space-dog

Linedef limit? ugh!
My level had almost 2000

Guest Fanatic

The point of the contest was to use 10 sectors to the best of your ability, not to use 10 sectors and make a crappy looking level.

This contest allowed people to really use their talents to the max. Some people worked fine around the limit of 10 sectors, other didn't.

It's the complete opposite of being a shame.

Guest Kinoshkana

Now that I have your attention...

How about a level where the LOWER limit is 10 sectors, but you have to pack all those sectors into a small space (<1024 units on a side)? In addition, the map must still get 35fps on some baseline system (probably Ling's).

The idea with the 1024 units limit is good, but it would be more interesting to allow as many sectors as you want.

Like:
Make a single player level that completely fits in the area (-512,-512) - (512,512). Use as many linedefs, sectors, things, etc. as you like. A good player should need at least 10 minutes to complete the level.

The interesting point here would be the reuse of rooms. In my ZDoom level "Fish" the second room changes all its wall textures using an ACS script. It is also easy to change the shape of a room, but without scripting one must be quite original.

Guest _Dimiter_

but a limited linedef contest would BE interesting... my entry had... hell i don't remember how many linedefs but it was well over 3000-4000... it will be interesting to see what we can do with, say, 100-200 linedefs.
I like that about the limited area thing :)

Guest _Dimiter_

hmmmmmmrrrggghhhhh!!!

LING!!! STOP TORTURING ME PLEASE, tell me now, did you receive that damn level of mine please. speak ling, speak. say something. ok write something. anything. are you reading me?

Limiting linedefs would suck, goddamnit. The only reason I was able to detail the 10-sectors map in any way was because there was no linedef limit. 100 linedefs could produce, at most, I would say 40-50 sectors, and those sectors wouldn't be able to have any sort of detail, they'd be a bunch of lame squares and shit.

Most decent maps need at least 1000 linedefs (Chord_G has 2737 for example...Chord3 has over 4500), so a 100 linedef map would be even smaller than the ten sector maps are. I guess a DM map competiton with 100 linedefs would work though...maybe...heh.

in my pants

You may *think* you can't do much with 100 linedefs, but that's the whole point of the challenge. Before this contest, how many of you didn't think anything could be made using only 10 sectors? If you did do such a contest, you might end up getting some kickass submissions with really cool playability. Or you might get a bunch of crap. Who knows?

The point is, you are wrong. The whole point was for 10 sectors in sinc with the levels of the old days. These just souped-up Quake wannabes. Too bad...

Gee thanks wavelength. Ever since I first played doom I wanted to push to see what you could get out of it- just natural. Even the earliest maps started experimenting with tricks and such.

Guest Cephaler

I do believe the purpose of this contest was to see who could make the best doom map. Now in my book, "best"!="most similar to early doom maps", rather "best"==the best map, by general aesthetics, layout, creativity, gameplay, and overall quality. I think you missed the big picture-- Who wants to play maps that belong in an old, obsolete era? A 10 sector limit is only a technical limit, having no bearing on quality, design, gameplay, difficulty, style or creativity. wtf does quake have to do w/ anything u sad misinformed person?

Guest krpeters

When are you going to announce the winner?

You should distribute the winner's WAD seperately, so we can all see it right away and don't have to wait for you to compile the megawads.

Guest Cephaler

Limiting linedefs isn't just limiting linedefs, it affects everything else... A 100 linedef limit limits the editor to 200 sidedefs, (practically, you can only USE 200 sidedefs, but a map composed of entirely 2 sided linedefs? so a maximum of 197 sidedefs for a triangular room w/ other things inside, etc) a maximum of 100 sectors, (so no goofy light/sector height gradients) and a very limited trade-off between size and detail

Guest krpeters

For the next contest, you have to build a WAD which has 10 Cyberdemons, and no other monsters ;->

There's no winner yet.

Why do you think it takes a few weeks for the Megawad to be released? Simple. That's the time it'll take them to judge the levels. If it was just to compile the megawad they could do that in 5 seconds.

Actually, I think this contest was to get Doomers in general more interested in editing. Dangle a carrot in front of them to get them to make a level. Maybe get some of the old guys who haven't made a level in a while to dust off their editors and maybe get bitten by the mapping bug again. My participation in this contest has taught me a few things too. Things I think will make me better at making maps. Many others probably have learned something as well. This contest has also pulled this community closer together. There's more fun and less flaming than there has been for a long time. That's what I think the purpose of this contest was.

Another interesting idea. Make a map with only 100 sidedefs that has no obvious misalignments at all.

Like sectors, sidedefs can be reused. There are programs that merge all sidedefs in a level to a single one (DSHRINK and WARM both do this). Using only 100 sidedefs can be quite interesting, if you take care of texture alignment.

However, the idea with the limited area is better :-)