Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

Recess Time

Guest Skarj

i'll be doin a review there sometime soon. so ph33r

second post!

in my pants in my pants in my pants, you may have noticed that I've been in my pants 'ing longer than the bold/italic/etc. tags have been here :P

Yeah last day on earth is pretty leet, I'm upset he didn't like my contribution (erm, the title screen)... but its some guys doing what they wan't to do, having some fun, pleaing themselves which is cool.

Guest mantra__

Gave it a higher score than I wouldve given it. All we wanted to do was see if we could make a few levels together, put them all together and release them. Everyone except tomi rajala was pretty new to mapping. When youre first starting its great to see if you can actually get some people together and get anything done, because along the way I learned a lot about editing. Sorry if some people disliked it but the whole time it ws just for fun to see if we could do it.

:D mantra

Guest lau

Yeah, I'm sorry... but how many of you have released your 1ST MAPS EVER as a megawad with a team and all ???
I decided to to it, some cool people wanted to do the same and mailed me and let's go....
I you dont like them, then, ok...complain...
when i started alone, i got flamed because ppl were bored of "oh, 1 guy alone and he want to do a megawad?? Pff... He'll never finish..."... Now i know that if you decide to do something, you can, and even maybe, you'll find people to help you...
That's all... I've not read the review yet...
I'll see now!! (Oh btw, if the maps sucks, why whith all the ppl in #doomroom i asked to playtest, nobody told me it's crap?) ;P

Guest lau

I've just seen the review...
It's ok... I won't try to say "Oh, no!! My maps were good!! U are a (add insult here)!!!".
But as i told before, that was our 1st maps EVER... I just wanna say that i dont think myself that there's some of my maps i think are shit and some i like a lot... I'm proud of map09, in fact.. I like the mood of it...
But I must admit I HATE MY MAP10...
Except these 2 maps i think my others maps are ok... ;P
Oh and btw, i received some mails from ppl...
And one of them thanked me for "a wad not overdetailed but playable and fun"... ;P
Bye!

Okay, I understand "10 out of 11 are poor quality". But how can he mean "There's too many bad things to make it a good gaming experience?"

Map 06 of LDOE was my first real map, and it leaves much to be improved in the way of detail, and use of textures. But "the player is never really challenged, scared, surprised or amazed at any time, because it's all been seen and done before," I think is unjustified. I've been told my map is very challenging (I've never actually beat it in one run, myself), scary, eerie (you get a real feel of emptiness on that rooftop). I've never been told by anyone that it's lousy. I believe it's only flaw is detail and use of textures. I strive to be original with all of my work.

Map 04 by Mantra was good. Map 05 by Kronic was good. Lau cranked out map 09 in two days! These are the first maps that any of these people (with the exception of Tomi Rajala) have done, and I think all things considered, it's good work.

But, ranting aside, I think that the 59% overall was very fair, so I'll thank the Doomer's recess for the review.

I don't think this is fair.

There are serious level designers who send in their levels to review sites and then have to wait for weeks until the reviewers finish levels that actually were not "meant seriously".

You are wasting the time of both the level designers and the reviewers.

Guest lau

If you have no time to waste, don't play computer games and instead of reading this forum, go outside and look a whole new world:
"the real life"...
If you think it was Last day was not "meant seriously", i'm sorry but you have misunderstood... It was sometimes very hard... In did map09 during 2 days, without eating anything and only slept 2 hours during the making of it...
At least, have some respect for the work of other ppl...
Oh and btw, yeah, I thank the doomer's recess for the review!! ;P

Do me a favour and choke yourself. People do not get payed for making levels, they do it for fun. These people formed a team and made levels and enjoyed themselves. If thats not what levels are about, then what is? The levels are not the worst in the world- they are playable. And they show love. And they tried, they had fun, they didn't hype it up to be the best thing ever, or put it on time release to show off their own big-headedness. They simply made levels. In a team. More than so many people achieve.

mantra wrote:

"All we wanted to do was see if we could make a few levels together, put them all together and release them."

This doesn't sound like a serious attempt, more like an alpha version of something.

I think reviewing a WAD is not an easy task. If the WAD isn't supposed to be something special, don't release it.

Guest lau

Who are you to tell us to release or not our work ?
Some ppl were pleased with last day, some weren't and told us why, so it was a good thing to release it.
So, now shut up, you bore me to death...
I'm sure u don't even have played it, so, why do u talk about it ?
And if you play it, dont go back here and say "haha i was true, it's crap"... Constructive critics or nothing...

I would have typed in something here that would prove that I think all of you got a point. Just that this is not really worth discussing. But I couldn't come up with a way to phrase myself.

Guest lau

Yeah let's stop it right now...
click........

Ebola:
I agree that we should stop this discussion.

lau:
I agree that I should play the WAD first, and this is what I will do now. And I will not say if I liked it or not :-)

Guest mantra__

You may consider it an alpha release due to the amazingly detailed work found in many newer wads. The point is, we added detail as we could think of it, but I for one had little knowledge on detailing a map. It takes a lot of creativity but also a lot of know-how, which none of us really had.

Besides, making such comments on others work without seeing for yourself whether you like it or not is very uncool. If you hate the levels you play with all your heart and soul it doesnt affects me in the least. I didnt make my map for you, or anyone else. I made it for me.

Guest IconOfSin

Well said Mantra. What your map is like doesn't matter, and I think it's good that you share it with us no matter what it's like. Now lets stop any discussion...whether or not the levels are good doesn't matter, it's good that Doomers share levels.

I happened to like Last Day on Earth. Tomi's map may have looked better than the rest but it still wasn't my fav. Here's a hint about detail, which you may have already figured out. It's much easier to detail a small area than it is to detail a large one. Tomi's map was about 1/8 the size of some of the other larger ones in the set. So detailing it and making it look spiff was a piece of cake relatively speaking. You can still make large maps, just don't make any one area too big that's all.