Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

csDoom Alive!

Looks like the csDoom project isn't quite as dead as we all had thought. On this csDoom forum post, Fly announces he's risen from the dead and is still working on the csDoom mod. Remember csDoom? Yeah, that ZDoom mod with Quake-like open-joining deathmatch that everyone played for about 4 days. Anyways:

The next version will support co-op, it won't crash (I hope). I've also written a new launcher for csDoom. I think, this launcher will work perfectly :)

Client-server co-op? Sounds good to me...

Yes, wheee!! Very excellent. They were listening after all! Everyone, three thumbs up for the csDoom gang!

Hey, are you still planning to set up a co-op server when the new version comes out? If you do I'll be there :)

Guest wondersmith

Co-Op support for csDoom sounds great to me, of course. The other thing I'd love to see is SLIGE support, so you could simply join a co-op server and play endless random maps with your friends. This would be a feature that even the latest and greatest FPSs don't have! Of course there would need to be some mechanism for automatically downloading the current map to each client; SLIGE maps are small enough to download pretty quickly. Or maybe SLIGE could be incorporated into csDoom itself so that all clients generate the same map based on a random number seed supplied by the server.

SLIGE: are you aware that then everyone that connects needs to download the map first? (you do want to play on the same map, do you?) and why bother with slige if there are sooo many megawads out there? Do you mind playing, i dunno, say "invasion" again? I don't.

PING: DUH. hey, someone defy physics for me and improve my ping. If you have a 500 ping, I am guessing you are not on a DSL line a few miles from the server right? The single most effective way to combat bad ping is called _prediction_, which is exactly what csdoom implements that other ports don't, for example. Atleast now your 500 ping feels like a wobbly 200 ping! How does that make it suck?

Re: random co-op SLIGE maps: all that the server would need to do is to pass the seed number to all the clients, who would then automatically generate and BSP the levels (like randoom.exe did).

Guest louis9000

i am baling,its that time of year again!!!

Guest Ash26x

yes yes. I can't wait. True force. I'm in support of the ultra violence online :)

Guest Skarj

Ahem, you want to play endless slige maps? that doesn't seem right to me... i mean, 50 square rooms canned with monsters? and maybe a HUGE arena at the end with an archvile? well anyway....
Co-op is great. Someone be sure to set up a server with "Seej.wad" and "punisher.wad". heh heh. Maybe even "cyberdreams.wad" (cyber110) ...wait i dont think thats a coop megawad though... anyhow. good news

Theres just one more thing to say here! Whenever i join a server, its pretty fucking irritating i cant join because i havent got the wad theyre playing!. Whenever i try to join a server, it should start uploading the wad to me if i dont have it...

Guest space-dog

What pisses me off is that practically every server i join is running map01, i mean it's a good map, but ALL the time?

Guest Kinoshkana

Sorry, just had to get that out of my system and...

... IN MY SHORTS!

Guest The Gemini

What kinda connection you need for it to run smooth with like 4 players located in, say us? Also does it lag more if you're playing a wad?

Guest Battle_Zealot

Man, this CSDoom thing is realy good, but if i miss a WAD file ? and e can´t get it anyware..? i think it woud be great if the next version of csDoom woud have Auto-Download..

Guest Fear Keeper

Co-op? Cool, I can't wait!

Guest Fear Keeper

Yea man, thats what I would like to see too.

*G*

id think adding url support to the launcher would be simpler and better (some servers base their names on the site where you can dl already), why you ask?

a) it doesnt affect the servers during play
b) it leads the players to doom sites and places where they can get wads

in the meantime, im often in #csdoom efnet (irc), and know where you can find most wads... so stop by and ask (racoon) if you cant find one