Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Julian

Vavoom On The Edge

Vavoom is 2 year old. But since source ports coders are like that, it's Janis Legzdinsh that gives us 2 presents: a new version of the engine (for DOS and Windows) along with a DDF to VavoomC converter. No, you're not dreaming. The program is still at an early stage but it has been tested with Espi's Guns PC and was working quite nicely. Happy birthday!

2$@%$%@^#%!@!~~~~~~~````~`~23341jrkhegfjlgggggg

OMGOMGOMGOMG OMG OMG OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOGMOMGOMG OMGOMGOGMOGMO

*falls out of his chair

Vavoom runs totally great on my system and is rock stable. Why don't more people use this port?

rtz said:

Vavoom runs totally great on my system and is rock stable. Why don't more people use this port?

Because your system is one of those great exceptions (apparently people have problems with it liek whut), and because, as far as most of the features are concerned, well, people like the ZDoom versions (or the original EDGE/Legacy versions, for that matter) better.

And I suspect part of it's because nobody understands how the hell progs work. :-/

Vavvoom is an awesome concept, "give mappers anything they want" but unfortunately the coder decided to go with QuakeC. That's just what we all needed was a new language to learn. If he'd have used ACS or Fragglescript he coulda just skimmed people from either the Zdoom or Legacy communities. If this guy makes it 100% DDF compatable, er convertable, he'll have it made. And if he makes it run much faster. :)

Vavoom DOES have acs.

In fact if you d/l its demo d2 level it comes with a few acs include files for doom2.

Vavoom C is NOT for the level scripting its for editing actual game physics and features. If you want to make a new gun, or maybye a hellbaron that shoots rockets instead of green balls, this is what you'd use. VC would not be a wise choice to mess with if you were trying to add funky scripting ot your level which is why ACS is still present in Vavoom.

Vavoom has been rock solid on 4 seperate systems, on my house, 5 if you count this computer twice (formatted hard drive and installed a different OS version and different config with hardware). One exception lays in the d2demo.wad, which is rather Ironic...

The newer versions show solid improvement though on that port.

The realization about those acs include files is actually a recent thing on my part and I actually have played around with it yet (its definitely there on hexen though...)

I HAVE dissected a demo wad and it does include a behavoir lump for a doom2 level. The hrdemo wad has a behavoir lump as well. The Hexen has a behavoir lump too but that's not really much of a surprise ;)

The lack of documentation, and it seems to use the standard format doom2 and heretic maps (as opposed to the hexen format) so i'm not sure how the acs ties in...

*goes to poke around for some documentation*

As a final note, i ran zwadconv on a custom doom2 map (converts it to hexen format) and it DOES run.

What's funky is the features are there but you gotta wheel and deal and experiment to get at them =P

Vavoom would probably be more popular with documentation.

Maybye if i use zdoom wadauthor config files to make a test level with a simple acs script to see if it works...

Vavoom has two main problems:

1. It was coming too late - everybody had their favourite Doom port already
2. Most users don't see/understand it's power

And I suspect part of it's because nobody understands how the hell progs work. :-/

---

That's just what we all needed was a new language to learn.

VavoomC is C. If you know C you know VavoomC. It's that simple.

The lack of documentation, and it seems to use the standard format doom2 and heretic maps (as opposed to the hexen format) so i'm not sure how the acs ties in...

---

As a final note, i ran zwadconv on a custom doom2 map (converts it to hexen format) and it DOES run.

---

Maybye if i use zdoom wadauthor config files to make a test level with a simple acs script to see if it works...

There is a config file for WadAuthor to create levels for Vavoom in Hexen format. Dunno about other editors like Deep. I once made test level, and for some reason Vavoom complained that the scripts did not exist, but I was too lazy to have a further look into it. Maybe it was because of ZDoom's ACC version.

Because your system is one of those great exceptions (apparently people have problems with it liek whut), and because, as far as most of the features are concerned, well, people like the ZDoom versions (or the original EDGE/Legacy versions, for that matter) better.

If Vavoom does not run properly on your system, it's probably totally outdated. Oh, and Vavoom has more features than all other ports together.

If Vavoom does not run properly on your system, it's probably totally outdated. Oh, and Vavoom has more features than all other ports together. [/B]

We are playing Doom yeah? I do remember it working on a 386. The Doom comunity is one of the strangest. I lot of people want new features / graphics, but I play it because it plays great and is easy to modify.

I'll give the converter a try, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work and that I would have to compile the output, basicly you are right on your points. but to upgrade to play Doom, ain't happinin for me. I'm working class, you load of yuppy scum!! Joking only...

I figured it out, to get the vdoom(2).wcf to work you need to go to do zdoom site, download the zwadconv.exe program (its in the utils package) run that on your main wad specifying a seperate output wad and use THAT as your game wad when wadauthor asks for a wad.

I used the classic ACC.exe to compile a script for vavoom.

Problem there is that is designed with Hexen in mind. I DID get a working level going in Vavoom with ACS scripting. It was a very simple, "hello world" script when you hit a switch. So well it works =P

He is right though, vavoom has the best features out there. I got a nice PC right here so I may as well put the muscle to good use =P

The problem is Vavoom's new renderer puts a bit of a tax on the processor =P

We are playing Doom yeah? I do remember it working on a 386

AFAIK Vavoom does not use the Doom renderer anymore, but Quake's.

AFAIK Vavoom does not use the Doom renderer anymore, but Quake's.

And people wonder why no-one uses it ;)