Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

DWBS

Matt Dixon sent me his final results from judging the 10 Sectors WAD contest, including his top 32 levels, as well as top 10, 3, and 1. I'm not sure if I agree with his choice for number one, but at least he's done with it, and once the other four judges send in their choices we can slap together the WADs and be done with it.

What were those secret Skulltag bots again?

Guest Retter

Hey, hows about putting a deadline on those judges ? :)

Guest jay_moser

this is my first time writing in, so all I wanted to say was I bet the 10 sectors contest top 32 levels mega wad will be worth the wait. I can honestly say I don't mind waiting.

That megawad will kick arse.
BTW Jay_moser, Your site address is displaying wrong. You probably omitted the http:// in the address.

It's a shame Ola didn't make the timelimit it's a shame Fingers were to busy and didn't enter.
It's a shame I dind't make two maps ;)

It's alotta shames here.

Ok I want another one of these next year.

Guest Mattrim.

Aardappel: Wading through 138 levels is a difficult, and very time-consuming, task. Especially when you consider that the judges a) have to judge each and every map and narrow them down to the best 32, 10, 3, and 1; b) were given no deadline, and for good reason; c) volunteered for the task, and; d) have personal lives beyond the contest. The next time you carelessly credit undeserving parties with labels like 'unprofessional', at least try to quantify your statement. Taking a month for a task as time-consuming and difficult as this is more than acceptable. We owe that to the participants of this event. Be patient.

Haven't you ever played through a really hard level that took a long time to beat? Imagine doing that 128 times.

My levels both took over 10 minutes for me to complete without cheats, and I already know all the secrets. If I was playing those levels without knowing any of the traps and what came next, it would take me a hell of a lot longer. And that's not even taking into account the fact that I'd have to play through it kind of slowly to judge the aesthetic(sp?) quality of the levels and see how well they managed to use the 10 sectors.

Taking longer to judge, IMHO, is more professional. Imagine if the judges just ran through your level with no clipping, not looking at the playability, and not fully grasping the ingenuity of how you used the sectors. And they just said "Nyahhh." Even if they could judge really fast, it's still better if they take a long time to judge. (That is, assuming the delay isn't because they sat on their asses all the time and didn't judge.)

...I am behind you 100 percent. Take all the time you need, judges, as long as you aren't frittering it away on eating or sleeping or some other less-important-than-judging task (kidding).

As a way of appeasing those folks really in a hurry, perhaps judges' results could be posted as they come in. While I don't want other judges to be swayed by someone's results, I don't think that is too much of an issue. Or, instead of posting authors, perhaps the titles of the levels (and the top 10 instead of the top 1) could be posted so people don't know WHO the leader is, but they are seeing some progress (and the author who recognizes the title can feel proud).

Guest cocoon

Thank you guys for the last couple of posts.
I really needed that. Doing this is not an easy task and everytime there are postings about it, most of them are complaining about how long it takes for us to judge.

mattrim said it all, thanks dude!

I agree. This is something noone really wanna rush. Sure you may be very anticipating but who would want it to be ridiculed by having sloppy judges.

Keep up the good work.
Hissy will get free.

Guest Mattrim.

Nick: the judges include Andrew B, Martin Friberg, Gaston Lahaut, Malcolm Sailor, and myself.