Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

DWBS

Status report on the 10 Sectors contest: Matt Dixon has sent in all of his picks, from his top 32 and top 10 to top 3 and top 1, with the winning level in his mind being made by a person you might not expect. AndrewB has sent in his final results as well, and his top pick might be from a name you've heard of before, and probably played before. Mordeth has sent me his top nine levels, but has yet to give me any final official results. Martin Friberg says he'll be done with his judging soon (we'll see) and Malcolm Sailor appears to have died, so maybe you should nudge him a little.

Guest Captain Napalm

Free Hissy?

Perhaps this message would be better off in one of the message board, but I'm wondering something; how will Ling arrange the TXT files that accompany the levels? Would you merge them all into one TXT file that would be sent with the megawad, or have them all seperate? If they're seperate, would you have to obtain them by downloading them on a seperate site that has all the levels (including the ones that didn't make it in the megawad) on it? Or not available at all?

I didn't send a text file in with mine. I figured that was up to Ling to write up when he compiled the levels into a megawad....

Guest Retter

Two things:

1) Hopefully there is a very good reason that the judges aren't completed with their selections, and neglect isn't one of them.

2) Maybe in the meantime we can have a smaller contest to pick a Title Sceen.

Well, there were 138 entries to the contest. Some of them were quite large too. I think I remember Ling mentioning he got one level that was 1.5 megabytes in size or something. That't 1.5 megs of level data mind you. No new graphics or anything :P I can imagine that it would take considerable time to carefully judge each entry.

Guest Retter

Strphrz, I understand that...Trust me, I know how busy things can get.

Guest JMX

which winning wads are gonna be the winning wads if each judge has different results?

I think the judges should vote for the levels using a point system, where the better levels get the higher points. That way, one level could be the best level for a particular author, but when you add up the points the one with the most points at the end wins.

Guest Retter

Actually, I'm pretty sure that with the number of entries, a point system would be the only feasible way to judge. In the contest rules, Ling wrote some things about playabilty, visual, and some other stuff. Maybe a point system from 1-10 would be given to each aspect and recorded on a spreadsheet. At the end they would tally it up and have some assemblence of the top wads.

I frankly don't see any easy way to do it.

Guest space-dog

there already is a pirate skin, with a pegleg and ARRR sounds, actually it would go quite well with the level i submitted for the contest

I want more screenies whilst I wait for the megawad... ling can screenafy whilst the judges work hard. And work hard they better.... :)

I have good faith in em actually, 'specially cocoon.

I wouldn't mind seeing some screens, either -- it was pretty cool to see what sort of themes other people were taking with the limits they had to work with. Plus, what else does Ling have to do?