Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

Possible Doom 3 Engine Shots

VE3D has posted four screenshots from an unknown 3D engine which they seem to suggest are from id's new engine for the new Doom game. Personally, if those are really shots from the new id engine I'll eat my hat, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

id, release shots of Doom 3 right now?

There hasent even been a offical press release on it. We're just going by some .plan update. What makes them think that there are already screenshots out?

Not Doom 3 material if you ask me.

I think this is one of the greatest link whorings of all time, personally.

By not explicitly stating which engine these shots come from, they basically leave the door open for everyone! Now every site about id, Epic, Lithtech, Valve, etc etc etc will link to it because it might be relevant! My hate is off to VE.

Those are not Doom3 shots. One of the guys from id already said so on a forum my brother visits. Besides, those pics are obviously from a current state of the art engine, not the next generation type that Doom3 will certainly be.

That's definitely NOT Doom3. See those walls on the third picture? They're not curved. Why would id make a Doom3 engine without curves, when the Q3 engine already has them available?

Also, those lens flares just scream "Unreal". HL/TF2 is impossible - Valve has been practically silent about it, and VE is the last place anyone would want to send exclusive new engine screenshots to. Monolith couldn't program anything that good-looking if their life depended on it. So, it's either an Epic (Unreal 2) engine, or another engine that's not one of the listed.

It screams of Unreal, looks to fluid and non-sterile to be HL2. And it just doesn't have a doom feel to it. The darkness and as someone said, the lense flares reek of Unreal.

S./

Id only came up with the idea for Doom 3 in, what, June? July? Doom 3 is not scheduled for release until like 2002. There's no way they'd be that far by now. Where did those wall textures come from? How would they have a room if they didn't know what the game would be like? And if it's Doom 3, why is there no hint of anything demonic? I don't know exactly what it is, but it's not Doom.

Guest Wyvern

Doom 3 my ass. The textures are not id spec, the "curves" are blocky, and the coronas remind me of the lens flares Cliffy B's gold UT medallion give off.

I seriously doubt that The Carmack™ would release shots of a half-assed Doom 3 engine.

Definitely not Doom 3. Nope nope!

i really think these screens are from a valve project .. either TF2 or halflife 2.. the grated walkway in the second two pictures looks straight out of halflife

Guest Ike654

If that's Doom 3, then I'll go get my Atari Jaguar so I can play it too.
The curves aren't too curvish. They look like Disruptor doors on the ice levels(Cool PSX game).
The textures could have been unused ones left over from Q3, but I doubt it.
And wasn't there talk about Doom 3 using 3d textures? I've worked with voxels before, and those don't look like voxels.
Also, the general feel of Doom isn't there. It may just be a simple test level that wasn't supposed to be Doomish, but who knows.
Now, my question is: What if this is Doom 3? We keep ragging on about it, what will J. Carmack think?
My guess is that this is either Unreal (it feels like it, and I've never even played it!), or another game engine (Rott 2? nah).

Guest Ike654

I was kidding about the Jaguar thing. Jag only has unlimited sprite capabilites.

Guest Slash

Fantastic advertising for a site that probably doesn't need it!
Bloody insult to the hard work going on behind the scenes at id if you ask me.
Compare the first images/avi's from Doom3 with the shite on display at VE3D and you'll see what I mean.
The new Doom3 will blow us all away (visually) I'll bet my house on it.
Christ, them floor grills are pre Doom1!.

Anyway, as for the verdict I'd say Unreal2's engine. Nice use of colours but always 2nd rate. I'm not even sure if those 'curves' are true curves!

Guest Confusion

Yeah, Unreal 2 for sure. Look at those colours. They just bleed Epic.

Guest Maj

Ike654 wrote: [i]And wasn't there talk about Doom 3 using 3d textures? I've worked with voxels before, and those don't look like voxels[i]

3d textures != voxels. There's a chance Doom3 might support 3d textures if more cards support them, but voxels? Not until there's hardware acceleration, i.e. not for a long, long time.

Guest Maj

Mentally insert an end of italics tag after 'voxels'. Cheers :]

Guest Demi|inX

The 3D textures that people are talking about in DOOM 3 are bump maps. It's a fairly common feature in cards that are post-Voodoo2 IIRC but hasn't been used by too many games. It gives textures the appearance of depth. I can't ever imagine id Software supporting voxels since they can not be accelerated via hardware and have visual anomolies that occur with them (try looking at some of the stairs in Outcast upclose and you'll see what I mean).

Excuse me, where have you people been lately? There are already several screenshots of the new Unreal engine lying around the net, and they look absolutely nothing like this.

Seeing as there's a No-one Lives Forever demo out, and that also looks absolutely nothing like this.

My bet? An early test for AvP 2.

Guest Diskeater

The first time I saw it, the shots just looked like the works of Epic... it's Unreal2, for sure.

cool news to hear that we 'll have Doom III engine ! Yes, Yes, Yes,Yes, Yes ! !! !

Why not think of Dark Sector? No screenshots straight out of the game have been released... all those screenshots look like they may fall into the theme of the game.

That screenshot isn't from Unreal 2, it's from the new Unreal engine tech demo... there's been 2-4 Unreal 2 lowres screenshots released elsewhere.. Unreal 2 is being done by Legend, you know?

If you look very closely you can see... absolutely nothing. A hanging lamp and a hall way? My Quake III maps look better then that! So I wont eat anything til I see some real eye candy =). If you respond to my message your gay..

Guest Vertigo1

The guy above me is right. I mean, they just informally announced Doom3 in June, and we havent heard anything since. Definately not Doom. I truly belive that I will be rendered to a state of shock when I see the first screens for Doom3.

Anyway, the Chaingun shots and the circle lights are making me think Valve. How bout' it?

Guest Vertigo1

On the VE site, it said the Demo's were hacked up to remove any gameplay elements that might be in it. So, It has to be pretty far in development right now...

Guest Ike654

Any thought on it being from Half-Life 2? I got an E-Mail from someone named Mike Sean. He clames to work for Valve. I'm not familiar with that company at ALL since I've never played HL or any of their games. Is he someone who works there?