Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #15

Five new WADs, in our weekly presentation of the new things found in Newstuff.

• Gloom Keep by De Zeurkous - A single deathmatch map for Doom 2, running on Map13. Very small, with little detail. Some tunnels, some teleporters.. Lots of weapons, although the BFG is available only on skill 3. Overall, nothing too special. However, there is a new titlepic, and the ZIP is only 33 kilobytes!
  • MindPhuk - This is an interesting deathmatch level for Doom 2. A pretty good titlepic, a decent music replacement. Level design isn't all that great, but there are quite a few new textures scattered around the level. Very interesting, thought-provoking textures. Not the best for playability, but still interesting!
  • StepsV2 by Harry Planet - An interesting single-player map for Doom 2. A few new sounds, a decent music replacement. And a whole bunch of shotgun guys! A lift moves slowly up and down the level, gaining you access to many different tunnels and entryways. There isn't much detail, but still a bit interesting. Not for the impatient.
  • FrenzyDM by Qingshuo Wang - If you're looking for a very pretty, but large level for your deathmatch adventures, this is the one! The author also known as piXel reX, has released this fine, fine deathmatch level. It uses all sorts of pretty textures, and is very well done. Again, it's very large, but mostly one open area. Kind of like a giant amusement park! To play this level, you'll need to download Gothic Textures. Enhanced DOOM port recommended.
  • Bitebwad by Andy Leaver - A simple WAD for Ultimate DOOM, with three small levels; argubly done original DOOM-style. Three rather small levels, with nothing too fancy. Your typical small monsters, with the odd small-to-midsize monster thrown in. Even if it is plain DOOM, it might be worth the quick download, just for the experience.

"Even if it is plain DOOM, it might be worth the quick download, ..."

huh?

Guest cocoon

Hmm I wonder if the author listens to Aphex Twin...

He has made a remix called HeadPhuq remix I think ;)

Guest Zeurkous

I want opinions on my level. Please feel free to comment on me, positive or negative, so that i can improve it and make other levels better, and that i know which elements i must preserve in my wads.

De Zeurkous
-----------

Friggin' Machines!

Looks excellent! Though it could use a little more lighting variation, but that'd be too picky ;)

I think a six to eight player deathmatch would make the level really fun. Very nice layout, and very few of those decorations that hinder gameplay (that I always complain about). Very nice!

Guest Fanatic

Looks well done, but very basic.

Those bowed hallways are very hard to navigate, and the regular hallways leading to the teleporters are just too narrow for good deathmatch.

I usually aim to make hallways so at least two, but usually three people can walk side by side for deathmatch levels. This allows people to run around and strafe, makes for more fun DM (IMO of course).

The texture selection is ok, but I don't like the mix of the red brick and cobble stone looking textures, they don't make entirely a lot of sense together (modern bricks and midieval cobble).

The biggest thing that's missing is height variation in floors, the level is just too flat. Could use rounder rooms (or add some non-square rooms to give better variation and 'flavor' to the arena).

The lighting looks ok, but could use some light sources for the hallways where it's a little brighter in the middle.

Weapon placement is ok too, but since the level is so small, it's hard to judge.

It's an ok level, but not playable for me because of the tight hallways.

Hope that helps some! Keep working to make better stuff, don't give up!

Guest q.pixel[rex]

Prower: I had to skim on the lighting, the architecture was so complicated that any good lighting will require lots of cross-elevation sector-splitting. Not to mention there were lots of light sources =

In otherwords, I was too lazy to spend that type of time ;-)

Opulent: Heh, curves would have been nice in there ;-)

Guest Zeurkous

I have some comments on the comments Fanatic posted. The level was meant to have 4 small and one something bigger arenas. And if you get caught in the hallways, you can always take a teleporter. Another reason for the teleporters is to telefrag someone just respawning ;) There is definitly light sourcing in the hallways, but i must admit you wont see it without a good close look near the teleporters. Originally the medival bricks as floor where meant as a street flat, i cant find an more appropriate flat for it, if you know one tell me please. My intention was to get a colorful brick texture by the 4 small open areas to make look it really "outside" and to have a dark texture in the dark hallways. I wont say you are not right, because i am not experienced much, althought i made a few levels and am working on a project...

De Zeurkous
-----------

Friggin' Machines!

Guest Andy Leaver

Any Comments welcome about bitebwad, Be has bruital as you like...

FrenzyDM.. Yes, it is very, very beautiful.. Siiiigh... Sometimes I just wish people wouldn't spend all of their creative juices on deathmatch levels...

Guest Zeurkous

Here are ur comments ;). It is good, good and VERY VERY GOOD. I love them.

De Zeurkous
------------

Friggin' Machines!

Nice one Pixel! It's great to see you aren't afraid to put a little color in your levels :)

Guest The Mole

i am trying to send email to news@doomworld.com but i recieve back a failure notice which tells me the mailbox has exceeded the disk quota. Anyone knows how to tell the Doomworld crew? Oh, wait, i just did :-)

For god's sake, what does it take to get a decent POP3 account set up.. Yeesh. I'll delete some mail.

Guest Archvile46

Hopefully the 10 Sectors Megawad will be in the next batch of "The Newstuff Chronicles"...

Guest Andy Leaver

Thanks Zeurkous!

Anyone else? ;-)

Guest JMX

Very good wads. With all the megawads these days pushing the limits, it was fun playing those simple wads, even if only for the few minutes it took to play. nifty lighting, too.

"For god's sake, what does it take to get a decent POP3 account set up.. Yeesh. I'll delete some mail."

I just gave prower head.