Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #16

We bring you fifteen new WAD files, in our weekly wrapup of the new things found on CDROM.COM.

• Acity80 by De Zeurkous - This is strange. A single level for Doom 2, on Map15, with very strange functions. Platforms that lower for no apparent reason. Rooms with nothing important in them. It looks like a level in early development. Why it would be released at this stage, I wouldn't know.
  • House by Anthony Cole - A classic 1994-style "My House" level. Well, whether or not it represents the authors' actual house is unknown. Still, this map is divided into two isolated sections. It seems like it could make for an interesting deathmatch. Storming through someone's house, searching for your enemy. Download if you wish!
  • A Calm Arena by De Zeurkous - Nothing too special here. A small map. Very square. Some teleporters. A MIDI from Final DOOM, and still the ZIP is only 7 KB! Yes, good for meditating. If you're into that kind of thing during deathmatch.
  • Ballistics by S. Woodman - An interesting level for Doom 2. Good architecture, good looks. The major downfall for this map is the insane amount of monsters and ammunition. Swarming you from every direction. Not for the faint-hearted.
  • Lookout Base by S. Woodman - This is the first map, in a series of "Mortiser" WADs, for Doom 2. The map design seems advanced. Textures are nice, everything seems well done. Ammo supplies are on the plentiful side, but health balance is the challenging part of this map. To play this level, you'll need to use the Mortiser Resource File.
  • The Bridge by De Zeurkous - A two-room level. One room with a bridge with lava on each side, the other room with an exit switch. Lots of items. Best used in deathmatch.
  • Phoenix by R.L.L. Timmermans - When was the last time you saw a DOOM modification with eleven new monsters? Okay, so this is an old WAD. In an improved version B update. What's more amusing that fighting Chaingun Dudes with neckties? Butlers with chainsaws? The map design isn't bad for these four levels either, with over a hundred new textures! Enhanced DOOM port recommended.
  • Nova10 by Brian Lester - A single map for Doom 2, running on Map30. This level is very different from your conventional maps, in so many ways. Along with monster-fighting, a lot of gameplay emphasis is put toward puzzle-solving. That alone should make this level a very, very long play. Quite different!
  • The Tunnel Of Chaos by De Zeurkous - The description in the enclosed text file describes it best. "A large tunnel with goodies and lights. Nothing very special." So yes, this is a small level. One long, dark tunnel, with items, and torches along the side. Just another throw-together. Oh yes, and it runs on Doom 2, Map12.
  • UAC Experiment by Jason Root - You're going to love this. A single map for DOOM, E1M4, in Episode 1 style! I would agree that this level does capture some of the many intangibles of E1M3, M4, and M6. And the level is very, very long. Some of you will just eat this one up! The pulsating lights, space base walls, it imitates Episode 1 rather well, in my opinion. ZDoom recommended.
  • Blackgate by Patrick Martin - Hey, this level brings back memories... No wonder! I actually downloaded and played this map a few months back. Recommended in another level I downloaded. Anyway, this is just a single map, running on Map01. It is decent enough level design. It also has some new graphics and sounds extracted from Heretic, Hexen, and even Warcraft II! There's also a decent MIDI replacement. Well, download it if you wish!
  • Dark Eden by Patrick Martin - Another decent level for Doom 2, Map01. Good length, looks are okay, but nothing special. It can be very easy to run out of ammo on this level though, and then after that, it's a disaster. Once you get by the chaingun dudes and shotgun guys, it's all mid-size monsters, and your ammunition disappears in an instant. Download at your own risk!
  • Red Christmas 2000 by Ed C. - Here, we have a deathmatch level of surprising quality! A few neat special special effects, such as deep water, rain, and ambient sounds. As well as lots and lots of detail. The light work is decent, although physically illogical in some places. There isn't much of anything too Christmasy about it, either. Well, still worth the download!
  • Mforest1 by Jon Croce - A single map for Doom 2. The theme is consistently wood, through the entire level. Ammo balance seems good throughout most of the map, until near the end, where you seem to lose everything to mid-size monsters. Overall, there isn't too much detail, and it does feel tiresome after a while, but it's not too bad.
  • Save Your Hate by Vlad Sosedkin - This should be something for all to enjoy! A single-player map for Doom 2, with lots of great goodies. Floors over floors, 3D water, and other neat special effects, all packaged in a very nice looking level! Good map design, superb overall. Requires EDGE.

Ballistics is one of the most fun maps I have ever played. It is on the easy side, but has a high replay value. short too.
Martin's levels are pure classics -- just updated version releases of the originals.

off to try out Jason's level...

`Zdoom recommended'? Thats not a lot of use. Is that a direct quote from the text file, or are you letting your port-bias creep into these reports? Like, recommended, or required, will it work in other ports, what exactly makes it `zdoom recommended'?

In the tex file it says "Advanced engine needed : ZDOOM in order to get one of the secrets. Otherwise no."

Thats why its recommended!

Guest space-dog

3d floors and lots of detail mean precisley dick if you can't get out of the first room

I thought this was a damn good map, and was depressed by how average sounding the review of it was. It makes me want to not devote lots of effort to making wads myself. (admittedly not a tremendous loss) The wad obviously had a lot of work put into cleanup, easy navigation, with lots of neat little ideas like grass, and my personal favorite, unnecessary architectural detail. It seems like you're sort of blazing through these things Andrew.

On the other hand 'the bridge,' which is, as I recall some 3 sector joke which I could create in 30 seconds, is not distinguished as such.

Maonth, if we have to read the text file just to work out how to play the level, the newstuff chronicles aren't doing the job are they?

Guest Captain Napalm

First of all screaming Moron at everyone who has a question isn´t considered nice Manoth and second I agree with Jon about the info thing.
Here´s an intresting question, can a level truly be a classic level (imitating episode 1) when it uses Zdoom or Boom effects?
I say no. What do you guys say.
(Downloads finished! Whohohohooooo!)

Guest Zeurkous

Have you taken a good close look at "The Bridge"?. I Think not, because its a 4 sector joke, not a 3 sector joke. ;)

De Zeurkous
------------

Friggin' Machines!

Jon: You should always skim the textfile to check for any suggestions the author gives. AndrewB did his job by recommending Zdoom just like the author suggests. Newstiffed chronicles is nothing but short 4 line summaries. It's only meant to give you an idea of if your interested in the level and if so you have to read the textfile yourself to see if the author wears black socks.

CaptainN: I agree that any level using zdoom effects for ONE secret is pointless. It does distract from the DOOM feel...totally unneccessary.

Jason: the size of the level is just ridiculous. I don't see how you can criticize Fava Beans for being considered "Doom feel" because alot of the areas seem like cut and paste from episode 1.
I know your capable of making E1 style levels without directly 'ripping'. I think it's important to take enough creative freedom that it doesn't look like your using episode 1 as a base.

Zeku: To serious wad collectors "Dark Eden" et al. by Patrik Martin are considered classics. If you put effort like that into a level you will be recognized.

Me and Jon always start out nagging eachother and then becoming good friends at the end! Its just a game napalm! Just for fun!

Guest TonyD

If any one cares.... :)
that is my house in the house level, also the two isolated sections arent totally seperate; you can get between levels by going up/down stairs, or by falling off part of the roof/balcony bit.

Anthony Cole

Guest Fanatic

WOW! This is an extremely well done EDGE level!!!

Kudos to Vlad! Excellent work! Very DOOM E1 mood too, very well done 3D floors, used in unique ways. Awesome.

Guest q.pixel[rex]

Out of ammo? What? I played fine through that level and yes, it's a classic ;-) Wonder why it would show up on /newstuff now, I've played that map a while ago.

Guest Zeurkous

I didn't run out of ammo too. Its was NOT difficult. At least not at skill 3. ;) But, its a good level. I would not call this a classic, but it is good!

De Zeurkous
------------

Friggin' Machines!

Easy?! EASY?!
I'll tell you Opulent, I could only just get through that map on skill 4 when I recorded the demo. And you say you're not skillful? Well, you're skillful enough to be on the Plutonia II demopack when I start it up then. :-)

Whoo hoo! PlutoniaII here I come...

Pixel ReX: record a demo for Darkeden????

Other: Savehate is too cool. Excellent design and Edge implementation; harder than regular Doom though, so get your cheat-fingers ready. ;)

Zeku:

I thought this was a damn good map, and was depressed by how average sounding the review of it was. It makes me want to not devote lots of effort to making wads myself.

So making Doom wads is for fame? uhhh...

... and what's new in the re-releases of Patrick Martin's maps?

Guest q.pixel[rex]

"I would not call this a classic"

wtf?!?!?!?!?!?

Guest Zeurkous

When i talk about a classic, i mean that its in the style of doom e1, e2 or e3 and NOT e4 or DooM2 or Final Doom. And it has none of these styles.

"Wonder why it would show up on /newstuff now, I've played that map a while ago."

"... and what's new in the re-releases of Patrick Martin's maps?"

Guys, try reading the TXT file...

Everyone: Read the txt file before playing the wad. It is there for a reason.

Hellbent, Zeurkous: what you define as "classic" is generally known as "classic style". Other people use the term "classic" for memorable levels of high quality.