Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

Team Eternity Downloads

DooM for GBA? Cool!
Afterall the GBA is essentially a compact, more powerful version of the Snes.

BTW, the GBA's cartridges have up to 32 Mbyte storage space, so theoretically all the Doom episodes we know of can be put in there.

Guest Mantastic

256 megabits. Same size as the biggest N64 cartridges. GBA....me want now!

Guest Gorc

Those screens look so cool! They even have the correct textures on the walls! Now, This shows how far ahead Nintendos consoles really are.

First, "DOOM SNES" shocked everyone, as they thought Doom couldn't be done on a already dying 16-bit console (even if it did cut a few corners, it had map design closer to the PC version than ANY other, including the often adored Playstation version!). Then "DOOM 64" appeared, looking more like Unreal than Doom. Now, it looks as though the Game Boy Advance will be in my pocket when it comes out.

Historical Fact

Back in the days when the "Gameboy Classic" was around, and everyone saw only Green on Green, there was a game called "Faceball 2000" (released in the early 1990s, later upgraded to full colour on the Super Nintendo). This game was a First Person Shooter that had you in an arena, shooting it out with giant smiley faces, that were often either smiling or angry at you. You chose a 'Smiley' (or skin) of your own, then launched into battle. Even though these enviroments were not texture mapped, they did move in a Doomy sort of way (or more to the point, like Wolfenstein). It didn't have strafing, but it moved smoothly and was very addictive. You could even link up to another Gameboy and play a 2, 3 or even 4 player Deathmatch. Even the status bar had a smiley face in the middle, much like all of ID Softwares games.

Does anyone else remember this game? If not, you are missing out on a piece of history, as it remains to this day the only Doom Game to be on ANY of the three (soon to be four) Gameboys.

Guest space-dog

Snes doom is AWFUL! It looks worse than wolfenstein, the resolution is abysmal, words alone can't explain how awful it is, AAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Guest Mantastic

Of course, I only played the SNES version but I thought it was great!

Damn, GBA will probably be the only system to ever have a chance to top the 100,000,000 Gameboy units sold. I think it was that many(yes, that's a gargantuan number).

Lets see you or anyone else do better on a 4 MHz CPU and a 20 MHz graphics chip, with a max of a few MegaBITS of rom storage space and only 256k of system RAM.

I think it was a technological feat worthy of respect for that reason, if not a great playing experience. I agree its horrible compared to the PC version, but I'm sure there's some hardcore SNES'er out there who got hooked by it.

I remember Faceball 2000, but I only ever played the SNES version -- it was a lot of fun, but very hard (and only had 2-player support). I used to rent it for my console, and I have the ROM now.

GBA making record sales? I think the fact that GBC came out only two years ago will signifigantly hurt GBA's sales, quite frankly.

Guest Gorc

Well space-dog, I was hooked on PC Doom. Then, I got into the console versions. My point was, the Playstation version is often times quoted as being the most like the PC version, but it isn't by a long shot.

My Points: 1> It had all of its levels designs changed in one way or another, even to the point of scrapping some parts of levels and creating almost completely different ones. All levels were wider than the PC version too, causing the really claustraphobic areas to feel like courtyards. 2> It often placed Doom II Baddies in the Doom levels, which is a complete no-no. 3> No Icon of Sin at end of Doom II!

I was trying to say that the SNES Doom was heralded as brilliant because it managed to not only put Doom on a (by then) already pronounced dead console, but also maintaining the levels from the PC version completely: no other console version has exactly the same levels as the PC original. They couldn't have done it any better than they did, but what they did, considering the technology they had to work with, was very good indeed.

Quasar: Yes, I never owned the SNES version, but I did play it once or twice. I owned the Gameboy version, which managed to be the same but with only dark green on bright green. For the Gameboy, it too was a very good example of a First person Shooter. It was the only example of a First Person Shooter. :D

Guest Ike654

Sounds like fun. One question though: WTF is a GameBoy Advance??? And why not make it for the original GameBoy? They could, as I have a game on my TI-86 calculator that is an FPS game that runs VERY smooth. And has nice graphics!

Oh well. I just with they'd make DreamCast Doom Legacy or something.

Guest TomCat

/b I'm just curious where you got the 3D shooter for the TI-86, because I own a TI-92 and have been making games for it, but I was wondering where I could get a 3D shooter...

Guest Ike654

Look at www.ticalc.org, and search for "Maze3d". It's written by a dude named Clem, I think.

Oh, btw, I don't think I made this clear: No guns in it yet, as it's a beta, but it is a maze with working doors, and it runs fast.

Guest Gorc

The Game Boy Advance is the soon to be released new Nintendo Gameboy console! It has specs similar to the Super Nintendo, but of course is a handheld and slightly more powerfulthan the SNES. The original Gameboy has specs similar to the original Nintendo console, but without a colour screen, and slighty less powerful than the NES. It managed to handle Faceball 2000 and its multiplayer stuff (see below), but the original Gameboy could never handle Doom in even its most pure and basic form. This "Doom Advance" would be the very first portable Doom game. Provided they make it, of course. These are only test screens. But... it proves it can be done!

On a different note, its nice to see a familiar name, Ike654. I have been away from these Doomworld Forums for about 3 or 4 months, and when I returned just yesterday I found no actual names whom I could recall from those months ago. I just need to get back into the habit of visiting more often again...

Guest Ike654

Uhh...thanks Gorc!

Hmm, more powerful than an SNES... Too bad I'm not a big fan of Nintendo. Oh well, there's always the Neo*Geo Pocket (with SNK vs. Capcom!)

This "Doom Advance" would be the very first portable Doom game.

Wasn't there news posts right here on Doomworld about Doom ports for digital cameras? Those are hand held and of course portable.

Guest Ike654

Is it possible to hook a 32X into a Nomad? Then, you could play 32X Doom (semi) portable. Probably wouldn't though, since you'd need an RF switch thing. If it did though, I'd try it. Now, if only I can get one of mine to work. Piece of shi-

Wouldn't the TI-86 count? They actually have numerous Doom games on it, including one coded in TI-Basic (calc kind, not the TI-99/4A computer kind)!!

Well I can proudly say that i actual won Doom for the SNES and was very impressed by it. Although I must admit I truely was laughing my ass off when I seen the weapons bobbing.
Were talking super fast up and down! LOL!!!

But I still think that the 32X version was and still is better, faithful to the orginal levels or not. it played faster and looked more like the PC version. game play wise that is. The music for the 32X version was stinky, they could have done much better on that part at least. The SNES music was quite good in fact.

Then there is the 2600 version of Doom...

uhm.. the 32x is the sega32x, right?, cause then there's no reason why the music isn't more or less exactly like the pc version of doom using an sb/sbpro/sb16 card (ie music throught the fm chip), wierd....

The 32X dosn't do a thing for the sounds so all the sound effects and music are handled by the genesis. the sounds is dead on, but the music isn't. the SNES had a better sounds processor so the music there sounded damn good.

Guest Gorc

Yeah, I guess so. They aren't actual "Officially whatevered" by Id, so I will rephrase what I said *ahem*:

This "Doom Advance" could be the very first 'commercial' portable Doom.

There we go. All fixed.

Guest Ike654

The 32X and Genesis do not use conventional FM synthesis, the use something called YM Synthesis. Not too sure how it works.