Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

This Is Doom Crisis

> Mike is highly underrated IMO.

Actually, all my levels have been rated pretty well everywhere. ;-)

Some stuff on the list...

1) Where the heck is Malcolm Sailor? He should be at least in great, if not best :)

2) Ditto John Anderson

3) chrisk.wad (doom1) and bf_thud! (doom2) are missing from cklie

4) Get rid of Surge 2 and put on Surge 1 instead :) Until the improved version of Surge 2 anyway...

More stuff...

5) Where's sudtic (doom1), teutic (doom1) and obtic (doom2), all by the Innocent Crew?

Opulent: Like I said I'm looking to have anything that's more then worthy of saving for my DOOMcd. That's pretty wide parameters and I'd like to keep it wide. Any great wad you think I'm missing?

Nick: Yah, I kind of snubbed Malcolm Sailor. The only wads I have in the general sp section are chord3 and chord_ng. But I was planning adding a dir under his name. All of John Anderson's levels should be on the CD under singleplayer or masterlevels. I just decided not to give him a dir. bf_thud! for cklie is in the singleplayer/megawad dir. Be sure to check that and the conversions dir for the bigger levels. Surge2 is temporarily there because Afterglow contributed to it but I thought it would be kind of wrong to stick it in his personal dir. :) Finally, be sure to check the Ultimate Doom dir for doom1 levels.

Tarin: The dir dump is before I put 10 sector there. Don't worry I have all the latest dammit. Keep trying to stump me I have it all muahahaha! :)

sign me up for one of those cds.

It would be good if a lot of people would check that list and add maps they think are missing, the more do this the more useful this cd will be. I will too, though I'm no expert on this.

I have played a LOT of wads, though I am sure there's an equal amount that I have missed sofar that are worthy of play; in that sense there's clearly a lack of "top doom wads" collections out there, Opulent's is about the best but I think I played most of em.

A side effect, which I think is unique to the doom community, is the mixed use of nicknames and real names (the quake community uses nick names exclusively). Sometimes I see a real name mentioned as "one of the best wad authors ever" and I think "wtf is he?" even tho I have played his wads or seen him on irc. I wanna get a better picture of which authors I liked best in order to make sure I haven't missed any of his (or her ;) wads... is there a good nickname/realname/wads list somewhere?

- is doom2.wad and all those other games legal?
- there's plenty of .wads (including the above) that are not zipped
- why divide sp/dm etc in a-c etc? dirs wouldn't be that big

looks like a good collection, couldn't spot anything obvious missing.

This one is missig! Dunno where you can find it, though. I don't think it's at cdrom.com, but I'm not sure.

ok, sue me, that wasn't obvious from the news posting nor his webpage. I'll just use his list then to look for stuff I am missing, maybe just as good.

So if you are such a wad collector, what did you do with all the wads you downloaded and played, but didn't like (and thus presumably is not part of that list). I tend to keep all wads I have played, good or bad.

Re: distribution: Well technically I never said either way. Nightmare assumed that it was for personal use. Originally it was. Although there is copyritten games on there and other legal consideration stuffs. Then again I'm not exactly an anti-piracy advocate. Besides you guys all own the game already. Then again I wouldn't want to become a CD distribution business. Heh, I think it's just safe to leave this question open to interpretation.

Wads not being zipped: The wads in the game dir are not zipped for covienance. So if I wanted a fresh doom2 install I could copy the dir over and not fuss with deice. The same goes for the alphabetical dir listing. It's for conveinance instead of one big core dump.

Afterglow: Like I said earlier I'm behind on that guy named Malcolm. And just for that snide remark I'm making a new directory in your honor called "egotistical".

Wad collecting: Aard, your wad collecting strategy is similiar to Anders Johnson in that you guys collect everything. However, if I load up a wad and don't like it I delete it. No sense into holding onto crap. I'm not a public archive like cdrom com. It's bad enough that I probably won't even be able to seriously play half that stuff on the "best" cd. Now why would I want to keep anything less??

At home I only kept good wads but I just kept a similar dir structure as cdrom.. a-c, d-f, etc... and I had everything zipped too. But now I'm on a smaller computer with LITTLE hard drive space so I don't keep anything except my own wads in progress.

As far as that directory for me is concerned, I believe naming it "Conceited Ass" would be more appropriate.

If you want to collect, grab 'em all!

gotta catch 'em all gotta catch 'em all
gotta catch 'em all gotta catch 'em all!

My Doom directory contains 1,161 .lmp files, to a total of 25 meg. My Doom2 dir has 1,590, to a total of 76 meg. I think if I tried to watch 'em all i'd be here till Doomsday. :)

I think I beat ya, Adam. ;)
Doom: 10,000+ (Compet-N/Pdang/DSDA)
Quake: 3,800 (entire SDA + 100 QW)
Quake2: 800
Quake3: 700

the scary part is -- I think you were talking about YOUR demos...

I was thinking it would be great to turn this into some kind of online index, for people after a good play. And I saw this when logging into ftp.cdrom.com:

230-*************************************************************************
230-Webmasters and Web Sites may not link to files in this archive
230-(FTP.CDROM.COM) without prior written permission by Digital River, Inc.
230-If you are interested in linking to files in this archive, please send
230-an e-mail to cdrom@digitalriver.com for details. Digital River, Inc.
230-reserves the right to seek compensation for unauthorized use.
230-*************************************************************************

I mean I guess we could just link straight to mirror sites, but that's a pain... anyone else have a take on this?

I would love to see an online index... There was one I remember at one time... like the Doom WAD Yellow Pages or something... but it could have been better... Don't remember the link... If there is some way this could be done well I would definitely support it. I've never felt I've had the time to really play a lot of the good WADs out there and finding them etc. is a pain when you don't have a lot of time. Maybe someone could organize them all into a database somewhere, then AndrewB could update it every week and it could be distributed here on Doomworld?? The rest of us could then Download (I would prefer to DL than online viewing, actually) and search by Author/ Author Nick/ Title/ SP support/ CO-OP support/ DM support/ Is a TC/ Is a Megawad/ General Rating?? whatever... etc. etc.

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Hey all this talk about lists and what-not has reminded me of a program that I've wanted to code for about 8 months now. I'm almost done with my visual basic class so I am finally able to do what I envision which is:

Create a program that is a doom wad review index. It would be split into two programs: the review browser and the review maker. The review browser would allow people to pick reviews created by users sorted by author, reviewer, wad title, etc. Each review would contain a description by the reviewer along with info pertinent to the level.

The review maker would allow everyday users to run the program and enter info about the level they are reviewing and quickly use checkboxes to fill in answers. It would create a .dat file for that level and be stored in a subdirectory perhaps for that reviewer or level.

Essentially this would rely on the people since thats it's focus. People could make reviews for the program and upload zips of ".dat" on their pages. I could maintain a master list. It would be a reviews database by the general public. And it could be expanded to do things like list wads by a certain author or combined score or whatever. I for the most part think I can do this. What do you think? Is it worth the time?

Well I am not sure such a program is the way to go, a web page to submit reviews may be better. But an important question is, will people bother?

I would like to see a really _complete_ list of top wads to play. Like I said, there are plenty of pages out there, but the problem with them is that they are often the opinion of a single person, and that they don't make it easy to know "where to start" (i.e. if you are going to play only one megawad ever, what should you play? requiem?).

So a way to combine all the top-10's or top-50's of a lot of people would create something valueable. Reviews tend to be boring waffle, but a short "what makes this wad so special" is valuable (because different people care for different types of gameplay, and care more or less about good architecture etc.).

Yeah but how do you propose this happens or what kind of program would that be or what??
I need schematics dammit! :)

Afterglow: Those reviews are all by Colin. I wanted a more international thing going on. Heh.

*sniff*

Aww, I feel so left out *cries*

Heh. At least massmouth was there though.

What about runaway.wad? I thought that was pretty good at least. I made others two, but heh, that one is the most creative I think. And it works under doom2.exe

Damn skippy CD though, I like it.

/me spanks

Guest cocoon

I have all yours on my cd ;)

no, you do beat me, that's demos total. That's mainly because I don't keep a complete compet-n/dang archive, I just download as and when. HOWEVER, an awful lot of them are random demos of mine and other speedrunners that for whatever reason don't see the light. I don't keep a lot of the stuff I do, though - in fact, for some bizarre reason that I can't remember for the life of me, every demo I ever record is originally named adam02.lmp, and when I make a new demo whatever I happen to have recorded last gets wiped unless it was renamed to be kept. I don't have many quake demos, since I stopped following SDA a while back due to lack of time :).

Uhmm Cyb believe it or not the only wads of yours I've played are some Zorts and Massmouth. Never heard of this here "runaway".

Still I think I blow Cocoon's CD away....

:-)

ok, I propose you do the following:

collect from lots of people a list of wads they consider "must have played" material (i.e. not plain "worthy of play" but only extremely good wads). These can be long lists, probably in the 20-50 range, in your case longer. Each occurrence of a wad in one list gets one point. Additionally, you allow them to mark, say, 3 wads in that list as the most essential wads (these get 3 points instead of one) and maybe an additional 7 or so that get 2 points.

Now compile a list of all wads that occur in all these lists, sorted on total points they got. For the top 10 or so (or more if you can), add urls/screenies/description/ whatever.

The problem is to do this all automatically in a program, you would need people to agree on what name they use to refer to a wad, probably the .zip name or something. Even so, you may have to manually go through the final list and merge entries where people have used different names for the same thing (e.g. "mm" /"mm_allup.zip"/"mementomori"/"memento mori" etc.

If you want to make it really cool, you allow people to give a one-liner behind each entry in their lists to say what makes this wad stand out, and collect all these one liners in the final list.

Such a list would have 3 purposes:
- it would be fun to see what are deemed the best wads by the community, rather than some reviewer.
- people that have hardly played wads can use it as a great starting point
- people that have played lots of wads (like most of us) can use it to scan from the top and see what the first wads on the list are that they haven't played, and try them.

If you think it's too much work, I could do it (using unix commandline tools I can do it without programming :), just depends on wether people want to put in the effort to create their personal lists _accurately_ (i.e. just putting in "requiem" and 3 other wads isn't helping, it's the more obscure wads where things get interesting).

dude I made like 3 billion maps and stuff. back in the day when I used to crank out one every few weeks (needless to say they weren't the most detailed things).

Includes:
eulogy##.wad 1-8
dismem.wad
artica##.wad 1-4
runaway##.wad 1-2
zort##.wad 1-7(I think)
liquid.wad (DM set)
somedm01.wad (the green brick map included in Skull Tag)
massm.wad
11 of the maps in surge (or some abnormally large number of them at least)
3 maps in HR2 (I think it's 3, though they aren't as good as Chrozie's)

Umm, I think that's it. Of course sorting through them sucks, so I'd recommend artica.wad, eulogy08.wad, runaway.wad, and massm.wad (and all of the zorts are good, but I can't remember which is which off the top of my head).

Now that I've taken up too much posting room, uh...yeah

I go now