Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

Speedmapping Stuffage

Guest Firebrandt

Wow, the qdq guys never cease to amaze me.

When I watched the "qdq with a vengeance" demo I almost shit myself. I HIGHLY recommend it. :)

QDQWAV is their best release.

One of the only demos that I watched 2 times in a row the first time I saw it.
just the trick on e1m3 was too cool...

Guest Firebrandt

Yeah, I wonder how many tries it took them to pull that off.
It hurts even to think about it. :x

WHO forgot to put on his thinking cap before reading his mail, eh? I wrote you about 10 mins after sending this submission to hold on announcing it until AdamH was happy with the TITLEPIC. *sigh*. Oh well. Yes, DDQR is on its way, no, it isn't recammed, at least initially. Recamming in Doom is a whole lotta work and we wanted this out while there are still people left alive to see it =). We may recam it in future, though. And QDQWAV does indeed rock, and the E1M3 grenade jump is stupidly hard. I've done it...once. :)

Firebrandt, although it's being released through the QdQ page (mainly to get more downloads. Hee.) and is an official QdQ run, no-one involved in DdQr has made anything for the other QdQ runs. Which is no bad thing, because we all suck at Quake running and they all suck at Doom running. But rest assured it's just as impressive as QdQWAV. Well, okay. *Almost* as impressive. :) And Opulent, that's a neat idea, although I don't know how well ddqstats, TASDoom or TASMBF support co-op. We'll have to look into it, though.

Why run, I prefer enjoy the levels and get 100 % of all the items, without care about the time.
I also try not to waste so much time when I play, but that isn´t my focus.

100% kills / 100% secrets is another category at COMPET-N, and there have been QdQ runs in that style. However, it's generally believed among speedrunners that the type of demo that gets most interest outside of speedrunning circles is pure speed demos, because they're short, exciting and have the most tricks in. If you want to see good 100/100 demos, try the demo packs for megawads like MM2 and Requiem.

I hope you're not referring to the one from the gold key back up to the bridge, as that has been part of quake speedrunning for eons. It looks cool, but isn't all that special compared to some other tricks in qdqwav, and a friend of mine can do it almost repeatedly.

re: doom 100% speedrunning: ad HR to that list. Some demos may obviously a bit long, but from an organisational pov (ammo use and making the most of monsters fighting eachother), they are quite something. I was watching them recently again because I was playing HR on UV again and was having a lot of trouble preserving ammo, and wondered how the "gods" do it :)

Nothing to say about the speed runs here. I mean I'm a desent player but those runs are INSANE!!!

Aard, I checked out your Curvy Q3A amp you made. Very bad ass!

Yes, that's the grenade jump we mean. And it IS hard as hell. Not the jump itself, although that's bad enough, but placing the grenade. Does your friend do it the way the qdqwav guys do, throwing it before you can even see where it's going to land?

sgt: thanks :)

adam: yup. once you know the perfect place to throw it at its not that hard (not me tho, I am not that "coordinated" :)

The older demos they used to just jump down and place it on the slope (easy as grenades don't bounce on slopes) but this costs you about 2 seconds.

I understand that fast demos are much, much, more exciting than slow demos with 100 %, but what I mean, is that play a game (not recording), trying to get 100 % of all, is much more enjoyable, than run as fast as you can.
I don´t see so much interest in watch demos of other peapole playing, but I respect it.

Well, you're looking at it from a very one-play perspective. Sure, the first time I play a level, I take it a little slowly, I try and kill everything, I look around for secrets. But...well, take Doom Done Quicker. These levels have been around (most of them, anyway) for 7 years. We all KNOW the 100/100 routes inside out. People still play 100/100 on them, but if that's all there was, we'd probably (yes, even us) get a little bored. Other categories give an entirely different experience. Speedrunning, say, E1M6 is entirely different from doing it 100/100. Doing it in tyson is different again, and pacifist is different from all the others. The different categories just add some variety to the play, and it's more interesting to play a level in a style you've never played it before than to run through and kill everything yet again. And on the subject of watching demos...well, watch DdQr when it comes out. You might be surprised at what's possible ;)

Funny how people who don't care about something always have to state this. I mean, if speedruns don't interest you, why bother to comment the subject at all? The people who do record speed demos do it because they think its fun....like you do with slow, casual playing. And of course they don't expect everyone to enjoy watching this stuff, respect those who don't. Getting a post that says "I don't care about this" just seem to be a slack attempt of discuragement. Bottom line is; if you don't care, don't comment.

Me and a friend downloaded Doom(2) Done Quick aboutn the same time as Twilight Warrior was released. It was awesome to watch how they played through the whole doom 2 in matter of minutes. (How long I don't remember) but it was really wicked.

I dunno. I think it's something with freedome of speach and stuff.

Number 3 (of your rights)
You have the right to free speach. That of course as long as you're not dumb enough to actually TRY it.

- The Clash

Freedome of speach? What has that got to do with it being pointless to comment on something that don't interest you? I fail to see the connection.

But lets not draw the neat news about a new DDQ into some irrelevant discussion. This run will be a _must see_ for every demo interested Doomer :)

It's only Doom done Quicker. Doom2 done Quicker would be an incredibly hard project (basically because there's quite a few levels that are "trademark" runs of certain players - map24 for Sedlo, for e.g.) and there's no plans to do it ATM. And for info: Doom done Quick was 19:43 (given time is 19:41, but they calculated E1M8 time wrong - it's 0:27, not 0:25), Doom2 done Quick was 21:16.

Hey, don´t take it so personal.
I´m NOT criticing anyone, I just entered this forum and gave my opinion, that´s all.

This week's Speedmapping level pack has been released over at the Speedmapping page. There's only 10 maps this time around, but IMHO they're all pretty good considering the 100-minute limit, and some are downright great to play. This week's theme was "Torture Chamber" with booby traps thrown in, so go check it out.