Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

POTD

What's actually really cool about this screenshot is that you can climb into the crane. You can't actually swivel it around or anything (I tried some initial tests, but it would have taken upwards of 12,000 vertices), but you need to use it for your own devious purposes...

Umm, on a more politically correct, nitpicky note, what the heck is casting that shadow? There's clouds everywhere, there shouldn't any sharp shadows like that.

and AndrewB is in charge of reviewing new wads..

"And this map has some great shadows, but WHERE ARE THE SHADOWS COMING FROM, HUH?! I give this map ZERO POINTS OUT OF TEN!! I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS MAP"

Well obviously the light source is hidden behind the tower... Yah... That's it.

Really though, most level designers don't have the ability to create descent textures, so creating a proper sky texture for this scene would be a pain.

-Dan

Guest Fanatic

But that conflicts with the light source that is shining off of the players pistol.

There must be a second light source, perhaps on the grassy knoll?

Otherwise, that is one magic light source.

That is one impressive scene tho, can't wait to see it in real-time.

Guest Captain Napalm

ME:"Habglob, urghhhh, bll bll."
Guy1:"Hey Captain Napalm likes the screen so much he´s drooling."
Guy2:"He´s always doing that..."

Cool Screenshot.

What are you talkin' about? I dont see any clouds on the pic, it's only the mountain sky from doom 1. The shadow doesnt seem look right. The shape of it is too different from the tower.

But really, why do most of level designers always use the combination of this sky texture and this floor?

It certainly looks neat.

I am assuming that the crane is made with a combination of 3d floors and slopes (i damn well hope it wasnt simulated slopes by lots o' sectors...).

Now for the shadows, are they fake (ie, a big weird-shaped sector that's darker), or are they real (ie, is there a light source up in the air that casts that shadow).

I dont give a damn aobut the light sourcing on the weapons... they're sprite based and as far as that goes i prefer sprite-based weapons over 3d models (it takes way too many polygons and high-res textures to make a nice 3d weapon model... not worth the effort really... im talking aobut actual models in the game and not a model used to make sprites).

Guest Fiend

It looks like it shouldn't be casting a shadow because the sky looks foggy, but it looks awesome!

It's made with neither 3d floors nor slopes, it's made with 2d textures on completely unsolid linedefs...

Btw, * Fredrik salutes Chris Lutz of Lines :)

My internet connection is too slow to be following links.

Why is my sig "let the legacy live"? I changed that awhile ago...

Couple things:

1. Yes, it's all lines (mostly; the solid metal part of the crane is a sector) with gfx pasted on them and y-aligned to look right.

2. The shadow is supposed to be from a celestial light source (e.g. the sun) and all the shadows have been done by hand.

3. Does anyone remember the POTD which looked like a photograph of the E1 sky? Was that real? And does anyone have it?

moan moan -- the shadows aren't being cast right.. moan moan -- where is the light source?.....

..and in reality Phobos is probably no bigger than a football pitch but hey them mountains look quite good!

It's art for christ's sake. Shut it!

Nice screen.

Guest Kannosis

That can be done with the worst engien of all the duke nukem one OOPS! I mean did u hear about doom III.

Phobos is a rock which wouldn't be able to support any kind of atmosphere... but who cares, the E1 sky looks cool and no one's complained about it before...

Looks great. Someone has a real pic of the E1 sky? As in what id based the game pic off? Can I get a copy of that? :)
mystery8@startrekmail.com
Thanks

...is awesome.

Memories of Roger Ritenour..

* Cory fires up pleiades.wad and waits patiently for P:AR

Guest Pseudo

I took a geography class a few years ago, in which the book I used had a pic very similar to the E1 sky. Supposedly it is someplace in China. I dont still have the book so I'm not sure exactly where. It would be cool to see in life :)