Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #43

Eight new WAD files have been uploaded for us to download and play, in our weekly delivery of the new things archived at CDROM.COM.

• Candy Choppers by Paul Corfiatis - One single-player map for Heretic, running on E2M1. This is a relatively small map. Around the size of E1M1 of Heretic, and around the same difficulty too. It feels like a real Heretic map. Indoor and outdoor areas, typical map design. It seems as though it would work better in a larger WAD.
  • The Outer Limits by Brad Pfeifer - Five maps for Doom 2. Each of these maps seem to get gradually better, but not all that much quality can be found in them. It starts out ridiculously difficult at first, with not nearly enough ammo to survive. There is little detail, with many basic shapes and misaligned textures. There are 30 music replacements as well. Most of them of the metal/rock genre, some of them half-decent replicas.
  • Fern by Javier Fernando Almenara Otoya - A Doom 2 map, running on Map03. This isn't something that's really meant to be played all that much. It contains several demonstration tricks and techniques for the hardcore map editor. Rooms over rooms, elevators, and special sector properties are just some of the features implemented in this BOOM-oriented map. Enhanced DOOM port recommended.
  • House by Colin Mitchell - An interesting map for Doom 2, replicating a house. It has much the typical design of your usual 1995-style house level, with the exception of some hand-railing textures and a half-decent music replacement. Most of the rooms are basic shapes, without any real detail. A lot of misaligned textures too, but the gameplay isn't that bad.
  • Linna by Espi - This is a modification of a previously released map by Deadnail which was entitled "Come To A Head." This single-player map for Doom 2 has been given a facelift, with a lot of green stone, and some new detail to it. This map really does seem to play itself out much better than the original, although it can get challenging. It also uses the music from Map30 of Doom 2. Enhanced DOOM port required.
  • The Following by Nancy - One map for Doom 2, and another one of the more interesting "first attempt" maps we've seen lately. This is a single-player map, and it has its qualities. A reasonable amount of detail in this flat indoor/outdoor map. There are a few crowds of monsters, and things can get quite challenging on higher difficulties. There are a few scripts here and there, and the music from the intermission of Doom 2 is used. Requires ZDoom.
  • Phobos: Anomaly Reborn by Christopher Lutz - It's all about the prettiness! This is a four-level modification for Ultimate DOOM, with enough detail to keep your head spinning for days. Lots of storyline, lots of color, about as much detail as you can possibly cram into four maps. If your CPU doesn't collapse under the pressure, you might find a challenging adventure in this WAD. Lots of wide open areas loaded with bad guys, so keep your wits about you. Enhanced DOOM port required.
  • Oh Look! Another Military Base! Joy! by Busted Corpse - We finish off with something simple. Another first-try map, a single-player map for Doom 2. It has much the sort of design you would expect from a first map. Plain-looking textures, not much detail, arbitrary shapes and designs. This one is quite easy if you play it out correctly. It also has a feature that is native to newbie maps, a "no way to finish" Easter egg if you happen to do the wrong thing. See if you can figure out what it is.

Guest Busted Corpse

um....easter egg? mind telling me what it is? :)

Heh, obviously Andrew decided my level was too short to review or something :)

BTW, shoot the sparking panel!

Guest Busted Corpse

Hell, I'll review it :)

What's the zip file?

http://www.goodnet.com/~opulent/zsm_144.zip

as for a review:
Nightmare's usual attention to detail and realism -- aligned textures, lighting, etc... all done professionally.
One of the best features is the smaller details that he took care to make right:
the size of the 'control panel', the railing, the size of the boxes and their positioning, etc... and the translucency was nice.

The special tricks might have been more effective in a larger level (like Stphrz's shock 'em down), but they are definitely nice.
If you are a Zdoom user, it is a must play.

Guest Busted Corpse

"Genesis Lab" By Nightmare

I really liked this level.

As the man says it's small, but it's filled with loads of boom-type details, like sloped surfaces and shootable walls.

It has a military base type architecture, and has one or two details that made me smile, like the power cable for the computer.

The method for getting the blue key from behind its forcefield is interesting, and the secret chaingun is well placed, although I did find it hard to walk over the lowered spikes.

The level is easy, right up until the exit, where I found that there was just simply not enough ammo to complete the task.

A nice looking level that was a pleasure to run through.

Guest Busted Corpse

two reviews enough for you? ;)

Guest Gorc

"Genesis Lab" by NiGHTMARE

A review

Really well designed military base level. Lots of cool features. Loved the nukage going into the drain, it really did it for me. No textures out of frame, realistic design and paced just nicely enough.

Good job.

Guest Gorc

Busted Corpse got in there with that messgae while I was trying the level.

Correction: "Three Reviews enough for you?"

You know, with all these 100 minute wads (in this case, nightmares') I hope people take the time to revise and add to their primitive ideas. Otherwise it's just a good start...

Well, this level will be expanded.

However, according to the mighty Ling, we're not allowed to do anything with maps we make for the DW speedmapping packs.

Of course, you could always just completely remake it from scratch...

Guest Captain Napalm

I mean what kind of name is Nightmare?
;) Just kidding.

Send me your comments to my speedmapping map please...or post them here if you are so inclined...

Well, at least I've stuck with the same nickname since joining the community all those years ago :)

Guest Gorc

I haven't changed my username since joining here about a year and a half ago either.

I'm just glad the guys got rid of "Anonymous Posts", as they really sucked. It's good to know everybody you talk to is someone you... well, sort of know actually.

I dare each of us to spot each other while passing in the street though! :)

Heh, don't even your family call you Prower?

I'm so l33t I don't need a nickname obviously...

Hey, if you haven't got this one yet, do -- the first three maps are nice for detail and gameplay, but the fourth is the real gem. It is without a doubt THE best moving-vehicle map ever done for DOOM. Be sure to jump off the train at least once, just to see the cool special effect. Er, be sure to save first. :)

And I've been "Rez" (or as I sign it, ~REZ~) ever since I first got an email account in.. um, 1993 or 94, I forget. I feel old. And senile. :)

And what moron put our passwords IN THE CLEAR in the cookie this page sets??