Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

CPL Doom 2 Tourney Results

The CPL homepage has the results from their latest Doom 2 tournament which took place at the CPL 4-Year Anniversary Event. Here's the winners ripped from their page:

FIRST - Jason Alexander "Dominus"
SECOND - Laszlo Vecsei "Waldon"
THIRD - Laura Herrmann "Bahd Ko"

Adam Hegyi also told me that "BahdKo crushed John Romero," so that's the second man-beating John has taken at the hands of a woman that I know about.

Guest The Gemini

heh..................heh...hehehehe..

does john romero still play doom by the way..?

Guest NunoC

Didn't Jason Alexander play George Costanza in Seinfeld!?

Guest The Gemini

yeah..
why?

Guest NunoC

HEY! Jason Alexander isn't a fat loser! HE'S MY GODDAMN IDOL!

Thanks guys.
The tournament was lots of fun, I really enjoyed playing all those guys. Good game Dominus :)
Congratulations to all the players.

Congratulations to all who played and keep Doom alive, and special congratulations to the 3 mentioned, all good [insert]damn good[/insert]

Guest Xenos

Congratulations to all the winners!
A firm handshake for Dominus, a hug for BahdKo.
Waldon! The important thing is, you had fun. :)

Are there any demos?

We didn't record our games, but we're planning a LAN in our hotel room with BahdKo, Ugwad, Dominus and me. There will be probably some games that's worth to release.

Guest Excalibur_Z

Nuts, you took my George Costanza joke =P

didn't look like a very good Doom turnout...
except for the 3 winners.

QW, on the other hand, has like 9 of the 12 best players there...

didn't look like a very good Doom turnout...
except for the 3 winners.

QW, on the other hand, has like 9 of the 12 best players there...

other then Dom, wald, bahd, and windigo who was there?

is there a list of everyone that entered?

[off]
QW has like 3 of the best 20 players there.

Just a few names missing: Paradoks, Pietro, Dag, SoD!, Griffin, Reload, Venture, Jerry, Def, Skitter, Mirage, etc, etc.
[/off]

Guest Xenos

I can only speak for myself, but I personally didn't go to Dallas because of the miserable prizes and poor tournament organization this year. The first prize was 7 times cheaper than the year before, not even covering one-way airfare.

If the CPL means what it says about its intentions to turn deathmatch into a commercial sport, they have to do a lot better than that. The CPL doesn't appear to be a fit deathmatch arena leader for their deplorable lack of respect for the players and their overall low professionalism. The Doom2 tournament was organized in a king-of-the-hill fashion, with everyone getting a shot at the winner of the previous match in random order, and with the overall winner determined by simply counting total wins at the end of the evening. Reason quoted in response to participants' queries: Not enough time to organize a proper tournament!

Doomers are a friendly bunch and flock to these tournaments just to LAN and get acquainted with one another. They are passionate about the game, and spend their own money and time without count. They deserve better!

I'm a little late posting to this thread .. (we've been lanning in the hotel room, me Waldon and Ugwad, which has kept me kinda busy - - we don't know if Dominus is going to be able to make it for lack of tables). I wanted to say a few things though :)

The tournament was fun, in character it felt more like an odd kind of organized doom netparty with prizes (which I certainly can't complain about, being a doom netparty nut). It was fun to be able to play different people in a loosly structured way. The prizes were totally last minute from my perspective, i didnt know i was gonna get anything until the CPL officials came up with these giant boxes... :)

Seeing Doom on all of those monitors in the tournament area was a trip. I havent seen that much doom happening at one time since I was at DMcon2 or DCcon1 and it was just great.

Dominus certainly is a good Map1er, and no doubt deserved his 1st prize. I'm proud that I had enough skill to be able to make him *work* for that CPU =). The last match that could have messed up his win was his match with me. hee hee hee. And of course, Waldon er .. kicks my ass .. interestingly enough, Waldon and I didnt end up playing one another in the tournament. He usually beats me, regardless of color, anyway.

Dominus' friend (Damn i cannot remember his name) was a good game too. We would make good LAN partners, we're about even :). Maybe someone will remember his name and post it eh ..

John Romero was a ton of fun to hang out with. He wears his hair exactly like mine except his is about 5 times as long and 4 times as fluffy (heh). Me, him, Dominus, Ugwad, Waldon, and some of the CPL staff spent a good while just talking about Doom and listening to some amazing and fun stories John told about things that transpired while Doom2 was being created (I will soon share (at least) the detailed story about how Turbo came about, somewhere on Doom2.net.. :).

He's the only person (to my knowledge) who was involved in Doom's creation who is actively coming out and participating in these kinds of Doom things, and that's certainly great. It was great to be able to play someone who is THAT oldschool :).

It's safe to say that he's one of the most oldschool players alive, and even in our one short game, i could see some interesting things in the way he plays. He's not afraid to use the single shotgun and other less-common weapons, he doesent have a problem with camping, and he has an ok SSG. However, by modern standards he's not well-versed on Map1 and isnt in practice enough to be able to move well through the map. It's true that in our tournament match I beat him by a fairly large margin, but, i hope people do not make fun of him for that. I've been concentrating on my Doom2 Map1 game since 1995, to the exclusion of all other 3d games and most other Doom2 maps. If Romero had the time to study demos and practice his movement and aim, play good people, etc, he would not be all that bad on map1. He's got some natural inclinations that would help him that bunches of current Map1ers don't really get.

I am certain Romero would mess me up on his best maps (like Map11, and I'm sure there are others too).

So anyway. In summary: tournament-netparty-thingie was fun, it rules to be able to hang out with and play other DooMerS, and Romero is cool.

I thought Def and Jerry were there?
and Flaming Fist was represented....

my point was that QW _was_ much better represented than Doom.
actually, it wasn't a good player listing for any of the games.

You're sort of missing the point about that particular CPL event - the 4th year anniversary was never intended as a serious, top-line event, more a bit of a fun contest. The prize funds actually turned out way larger than originally intended, not the other way around. CPL have said they intend to scale down the quantity of tournaments in North America and consolidate the prize funds so there's bigger prizes at fewer events, and the 4 year anniversary kinda got caught out in that move. A more "serious" CPL event is the World Championships coming up in December, which has a *huge* prize fund.

This is probably why the turnout was low - the prizes were nowhere near large enough to cover the travel costs from parts of the USA, let alone other countries, so only a couple of the top US players (Dominus and Bahdko) showed up, and only one of the top Europeans (Waldon). Obvious missing names would be Xenos, Vapor, Ocelot, Anders Johnsen, Sedlo, FX and Adam Hegyi. If we could get all those guys together in a contest, now, *that* would be interesting ;)

Guest Xenos

...the 4th year anniversary was never intended as a serious, top-line event, more a bit of a fun contest.

Where are you getting that from?

I could be really pessimistic and say a word that would explain why John is so eager to attach himself to Doom at the moment, but I won't.

Oh, okay, I will.

Daikatana.

Guest Vapor

Hey man,

Congrats on the win! :) You deserve it.

-Vapor

i have four magic words that tell why you're posting here, and i'm sure you know them already; but let's be redundant:

YOU NEED A LIFE.