Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arioch

Top 10 Memorable Weapons

my personal list, looking mainly to how SATISFYING the guns are to use (for SP and/or DM):

1. Doom2 doublebarrelled (blam 200 damage... unmatched)
2. Quake lightning gun (bzzt.. most fun fast rate hitscan gun)
3. Quake rocket launcher (best RL ever, sorry)
4. Quake 2/3 railgun (very satisfying)
5. Unreal flak cannon (bit like double barrelled tho)
6. Doom chainsaw
7. Quake grenade launcher

To me, the BFG isn't fun at all, because you don't feel you're being very skilled. Can't say much about the other guns in their list, seems they enjoy gimmicks most.

Most memorable? I've never heard of most of those games, let alone the guns...

#1 would be chainsaw IMO ;)

Guest Excalibur_Z

Heh, you've got to admit though, you must have been shaking in your boots like everyone else when you first fired that BFG and a room full of 30 troops/sarges disintegrated. That's pretty memorable and very satisfying!

They never include the TC's for certian games in these things,they can churn out some kick azz weapons

Remember the laser pistol from twice risen,or the flak shotgun from immoral conduct? ouch!

Guest Busted Corpse

You can be very skilled with the BFG...

sure you can be lame and get two or three easy dm kills (more depending on map and chance) , but to get consistant kills from it ya need to know how it works and where to use it, and to do that properly takes more skill than just firing a stream of rockets at someone... imho.

Chainsaw used to be cool in old days when people were on slow computers, revving it could *seriously* slow them down in DM :)

Those weapons all kinda' suck. ::seriously:: The range of weapons in FPS' is too large to make a narrowly-opinionated Top-10 graph.

The chainsaw I never found nearly as fun as the berserk pack.

And I agree with Vorpal . . . many of those "most memorable" are weapons I've never heard of.
The shrink ray *might* be an addition, but it's not particularly memorable.

I'll list the six most memorable weapons I can think of. Note: These aren't all PC games.

6. The railgun in Quake II (I actually only played Quake II once or twice, but it's a hard thing to forget)
5. The Golden Gun from Goldeneye
4. The reaper from Perfect Dark (guided missiles are fun)
3. The rocket launcher from Doom (In E1M9, blasting imps off towers was nice)
2. The shotgun from Doom
1. The Maulotaur from Hexen (not really a weapon, but it sort of is. Many many memories)

I love the wand that fired homing fireballs. One of the best FPS around...

For me all of Doom's weapons would be in my top 10 (except the pistol but it's necessary for balance).I believe they all require different types of skill in different situations,the beserk pack requires great timing and speed (and sometimes patience) especially against tougher foes, chainsaw is similar and boy does it crack us up!(we laugh and laugh)Both shotguns are great and it requires skill to know which to use in different situations especially if the level is well designed.Chaingun is great and can be used in many skillful ways to stun rather than instantly kill for example to bide time.
For me the rocket launcher in doom is the number one weapon period-no other weapon in any other game compares with the feeling of power,especially with a good sound system,it is unparallelled.Plasma gun, pleasure to use,
skill is to use just the right amount and no more. The BFG is undoubtedly skillful, especially to get the maximum kills from each blast as well as understanding the many indirect methods of execution.
Other weapons? Yep, love the expand/shrink rays in Duke as well as the Grenade Launcher in Duke64.Also the chaingun in Serious Sam-it's serious!

I'd definitely have included the hand cannon and knife from Action Quake 2, not to mention those insane proximity mines from Chaos DM. Or even the first flame thrower done right - the flame thrower from Wages of Sin. Of course, WoS also had an excellent clone of the BFG - one MASSIVE explosion, you knew that if a monster walked out of it, you're screwed. Of course, there wasn't a single weapon in Opposing Force that doesn't deserve honours.

I guess the point is that most games have generic weapons, or blatantly obvious attempts at originality. It's the mods and expansion packs that really make the cut.

-Dan

You know about/remember Exhumed? That was the best FPS ever! It was like realistic Doom in Egypt- Know anywhere I can buy it?

I think that as far as being memorable, the chainsaw from Doom tops my list any day. It was definitely the most shocking weapon I've ever used. I was really surprised when I first discovered it playing the Doom shareware. It was so raw and in your face, I wasn't even sure if I'd be able to handle using it at first (that's right, the thought of the blood disturbed me). I've gotten used to it, but every time I pick one up I always remember that first time, when I almost was too scared to even try it. Okay, okay, I was 12 at the time, so it isn't quite as dramatic as it sounds, but it still stands out in my mind.

Sounds similar to the first time I used it in Deathmatch. I can still remember the other guy complaining that he couldn't move while being attacked. That was a blast.

-Dan

Guest Lament

Don't forget UT weapons. Aside from already mentioned Flak Cannon, there's also the incredibly cool BioSludge, the Shock Rifle (which is cool if only because of the skill needed to use it) and of course the Redeemer. I myself think that the Redeemer is better than the BFG. It looks nice, it's really powerful and it requres more skill, and, of course, its secondary mode owns... :)

The redeemer was both great. I loved using it, but you'd sometimes find people on the face ctf map that would alt-fire it and have the missile circle your base until someone came out of it. Then... BLAM!

Guest Captain Napalm

Everyone´s favourite will be different and a top 10 is impossible, But UT? I mean come on, those weapons were just ripoffs of other games! Blood´s weapons were real cool.

Guest Twitch

The list of weapons on game spy are pretty weak. Considering the weapons in Hitman(Piano Wire) and in UndyinG(Scythe) get boring quick. My favorite weapons from doom have to be Plasma Gun and Chain Saw. Both are massively great weapons, and whenever a BFG popped up, I would always revert back to the good old Plasma Rifle. ABullpup and the Magic Claw doll are amazing. the Science and Industry mod for HL has the Rocket Pistol which is one of the greatly model weapons based on its randomness and skill to use.
(AWP from CS is niether memorable nor a skilled weapon, it's amazingly stupid)

Now that you mention it, Those proxies from ChaosDM have to be my #1 :)

ermmm. Is it just me, or is that counterstrike smiper on #2 placed all wrong? wtf is memorable about it?

Guest NunoC

YES the piano wire! :)

Yes, underrated games like Blood and Exhumed had the best weapons.

Hey has anyone ever played Doom 3? The REAL one, with hair-spray flame-throwers and crap?

Guest Captain Napalm

I mean Blood´s weapons were so cool, not to mention the death sequences when you lit up one of those cultists with an improvised Molotov Cocktail (IT BURNS IT BURNS! WAHHHHHHH!). Hehehehe, or the dynamite or the tommy gun or the...