Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arioch

5000 At Metabolist's

Metabolist has updated his site with the news that Tobester submitted a screenshot of him being the 5000th visitor to Metabolist's site, and thus qualified as a beta tester for Plutonia 2, so he put up another target, this time for the 7500th hit. There's a new contest at his page too, which is a map-making contest, so head on over and check it.

You guys are all technical experts, right? Why is it that when I get to a certain point of creating a level(usually with wadauthor), everything leaks after a certain point of editing? It's like, I'm way into this really cool detailed level, then BOOM every texture, surface, block, whatever, is leaking after a certain point. It ruins everything I make. How DO you guys do it, jeeze!

Guest Captain Napalm

Bah Tobias isn´t Captain Napalm anymore, he´s tobester now, I was like wtf? I´ve never even visited the site. heh

Check your level for errors using WA error checker. If no errors, check your level with DeePsea and see what errors pop up. If nothing, use a different node builder - NOT the one internal to WA.

PS: What exactly is "leaking" and what size is the level (number of linedefs)?

Where all the textures and stuff, after a certain point, leak, spill, whatever the turn is. What don't tell me you are perfect

I didn't insult anyone, Crotch.

But you have to admit, you guys are kind of dumb for not knowing what a texture-leak is. I mean it's not my fault WadAuthor can't go past a simple number of linedefs before leaking everywhere. Jesus must be rolling over in his grave.
Here's a pic of what I mean: <A href="[url="http://www.angelfire.com/realm/silvericarus/images/leakage.bmp"</a>"]http://www.angelfire.com/realm/silvericarus/images/leakage.bmp"</a>[/url] (70k download)

Same comment as Arioch.

PS: There is NO such thing as a "texture leak" (per se) in DOOM - so you see, I have no idea what you are talking about. Try reviewing some DOOM faqs and see if you find a term fits what you see.

Heh, he changed .pcx to .bmp
anyway, you have unclosed sectors, which wauthor can detect.

in regards to Wavelength:

What I do personally is use an editor other than Wadauthor, namely DETH. I should try using another editor if you're experiencing problems.

It should be sufficent to fix all unclosed sectors and node build the map in a node builder like BSP. (Just like Deepteam said)

LOOK AT THE PICTURE. That is what I am talking about ya' 'dip. Gawd, maybe I'm using Half-Life editing language. Sheesh.

It's a damn .bmp DOWNLOAD IT and LOOK. It does that EVERY TIME, when I am using NORMAL FUNCTIONS. Somebody should STAND UP to that program.

Again in regards to Wavelength:

What you have here is a case of buggered sector references. It is quite understandable to call it a 'leak', from its appearance. I can recommend most of the other things that the people here have said; including changing editor.

Calm down sparky. Listen carefully. You have unclosed sectors in your map. That is what is causing your texture leaks. One or more of the lines used to construct your crates has a sidedef referencing a sector that: 1. does not exist or 2. some other sector other than the main courtyard sector (the one with the grass type flat on the floor). If you double click on a line (in Wadauthor) it brings up the linedef properties dialog. In the little box labled "sector" it shows you what sector the front sidedef the line is referencing. To see what sector the back sidedef is referencing just click on the "back" radio button near the top right of the dialog box.
The little tick mark on the linedef shows you which way the front sidedef of the line is facing. You need to go through all the linedefs that make up that part of the map and make sure each sidedef is referencing the sector it should be.

So that's a texture leak, what does the Hall Of Mirrors effect look like? Does DooM just display a multicoloured wall and start to go slow?
And can someone tell me why the files listed on the "New in /newstuff" section at the top of the front page keep changing places every day?

Perhaps because that directory the /newstuff listing represents changes every day?

I know that, but the same files have been there for a few days and the same files are in that list, but they just keep switching places every so often...

Guest Virgil_

Just askin'...

Have any of you guys seen the review of AfterDOOM2 (at Metabolist's site) or played it yet? It is a VERY old set of levels I started before even "Dark Castle" and I'd like to know what you think about them. I might even finish the whole megawad if you want.

[i][b]Virgil]]

"what does the Hall Of Mirrors effect look like?"

It looks something like a flickering mess where a wall should be. You'll know it's a HOM if, when you press the automap button and then return to the game, part of the automap is still there. Compare the picture (from Holger Nathrath's SER3LV11.WAD):

http://www.doomworld.com/metabolist/hom.gif

plus the crude arrow to show where it is.
The coloured wall effect you are referring to is a Medusa effect, by the way. Both are very notorious and ugly among designers.

Thanks for the help, everybody, especially Spitze. Sorry I got an attitude, it's just that computers are the dumbest machines I have ever seen or used, no seriously- nevermind.

Wait wait- back up that doesn't make sense. Are you saying I need to go to each linedef and make sure they are referencing the same sector number, front and back??

Guest Captain Napalm

"Are you saying I need to go to each linedef and make sure they are referencing the same sector number, front and back??"

No, what you need to do is look into which sector the first linedef is pointing. The first Sidedef needs to have the number of this sector in this case. Same goes for the second Sidedef.