Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bad Luck Ranger

It's all a matter of weaponry.

Hi people, I'm currently writing the seventh installment of my Vultures in Hades series and the action is heating up but I've noticed something with my series and that's weaponry. Only two weapons have made a mention and that's a Plasma gun and Shotgun but what I'm bringing to the residents of this forum is this question.
For those who've read my series so far will know that the story is set two generations from the original Doom and as the action is slowly unfolding I want to portray the essence of Doom with a large array of weaponry.
So i ask you lot out there what sort of weapons do you think Doom should have two generations on (roughly 150 years later)?

Now we get to use our imaginations a bit : Upgrades first...

Rocket Launcher - should now have heat-seaking capabilities; handy as demons are (according to myth at least), red-hot bastards, making them easy targets.

Shotgun - Simple enough to speed up the reload time (autoshotgun arguements resurfacing?). Half the reload speed for D/B.

Chaingun - A nice, sleek'n'compact weapon with cryogenically-cooled motor would be order-of-the-day here - making for a higher rate of fire and therefore more damaging.

Plasma Rifle - How dya improve on a weapon that doesn't even exist in our time? I've always liked the constant stream beam weapons like the ones mounted on the cruisers in 'Babylon 5'. It'd allow the weapon to be swept left-to-right over large groups of demons. However, a similar weapon already exists in UR-tournament (secondary fire i think), and Q1/Q3A, so i probably won't get many points for this...

BFG - Well, i DID love the Q3A version, a rapid fire ninja-bastard weapon. Short of a version that'll simply nuke everything in sight, i don't know what to suggest.

As for newer weapons... grenade launchers always come in handy, as do remote-explosives. A machinegun with a lower rate of fire than the chaingun would be handy for more precise targeting and lower ammo consumption.

I get the horrible feeling that i'm quoting weapons from Q2... forgive me :)

Hmm, think about the Quake 2 weapons (since the Strogg war has recently come to an end)
Add a recoil adapter to spike's chaingun suggestion and add a pump action db shotgun to the mix (Quake 2 again). If you incorporate it right then I'd agree with Spike that a grenade launcher could be nice to see in the story.

I like the suggestions and I'm definitely considering the grenade launcher and I also dig the cyro-cooled chaingun. I've always liked the design of the sigle barrelled shotgun of Quake2. Bulky yet compact, it adds a depth of futurism into the genre. I doubt any rockets will be flying anywhere in this series as I'm holding back the notion of using a cyberdemon in this series. Maybe the next one???
I'll let you guys into something, an idea I've been toying around with. Originally there was going to be a few very strong character driven scenes involving the Kleggs (A.I, small maintenance droids) which I've introduced. I was also going to give them the ability to mount weapons on them. They are roughly dog-sized and as soon as I've scanned a few concept drawings I'll post them up on here.
My next series after Vultures in Hades will be set on Earth.
Hopefully I'll be able to give insight to a few notions that I've currently left untold. (dsm: remember our discussion when I first posted chapter one?)
What do you think Earth will look like?
I know for a fact that it will not be totally post-apocalyptic as I want to have orbiting satellites and I like the idea that armed guards on the city limits are fending off demon attack.
In fact I have the penultimate weapon already for that series. Believe me it will totally kick ass and will literally piss on all the current "ultimate" weapons that we've seen in every (yep!) first person shooter. And it's realistic too, but I'll keep you guessing until I finish Vultures in Hades and start my new series.
Spike, dsm? Have you played the Quake2 mission packs, since they're no longer in production (I think, I can't find them on Amazon) I would love to know about the new weapons they added.

BLR - i've got both QuakeII mission packs.

There are several new weapons introduced. The 'Ion Ripper' fires magnetically-sealed energy bolts that can ricochet off walls, allowing you to fire them round corners - tho u can damage yourself if you walk into a rebounding blast.

The Mag-Cannon fires dual magnesium slugs that spiral in a helix pattern and explode on impact. Each round is a little less damaging than a rocket, but it can deal some serious death if both slugs hit their targets.

There was also an ETF Rifle (can't remember what it stands for), which is basically a nailgun from Q1 - as well as a constant-stream energy weapon like the one i mentioned earlier.

Finally there's a 'trap' that you throw out in front of you, which compresses any enemies nearby into a teeny-weeny space and squashes 'em like bugs - just like the Gravity Well from ChaosDM.

I think that's about it...

Most of the new weapons added in both mission packs were a bit lame (The ion ripper was cool though) - the trap was an annoyance to use as I kept getting sucked into it myself and it couldn't suck parasites, fliers, gladiators and a host of other Stroggs into it.
Btw, the trap turned enemies into food cubes for the player to eat and gain 30 health onto the existing maximum. The mag cannon was probably the first mp's most boring weapon - basically a double barreled rocket launcher of some sort, I hated it because of its firing delay.

The Plasma beam weapon was basically the Lightning gun in disguise - I barely ever use it, because it burns cells away like nothing else and does not inflict enough pain.

Spike forgot the tesla mines, the prox luncher and the chainfist from the second mp.
Tesla mines: are kinda like grenades except for the timer - you throw them, they land on the floor and unfolds themselves into a tiny antennae that electrifies everything hostile that gets too close. They sucked because the enemy was smart enough to avoid them and because they would attack other mines that you attempted to lay out in its vicinity.

Prox launcher: Grenade launcher that fires "special grenades", which attach to surfaces. Once attached, they detonate when anything (including the player) got close to them. They also sucked because they weren't very powerful and because they had a nasty tendency to attach in the air right next to the corner of a wall in front of you, and blow up in your face.

Chainfist: Suckier version of the Doom chainsaw, this thing kinda worked like Quake 1's axe - you constantly wave it around, only hurting the enemy now and again, instead of pressing the blade into the enemies and harm them repeatedly - God that thing sucked.

Oh yeah, forgot bout those tesla-thingies. And yes, they were BOLLOCKS, as opposed to 'da bollox'.

Isn't it strange that, since Doom, the staple weapon collection hasn't changed much? Each game has :

shitty pistol/machinegun
shotgun
chaingun/minigun
rocket launcher
plasma rifley-type weapon
bfg-type atomising ninja bastard gun.

Spike said:

Isn't it strange that, since Doom, the staple weapon collection hasn't changed much? Each game has :

shitty pistol/machinegun
shotgun
chaingun/minigun
rocket launcher
plasma rifley-type weapon
bfg-type atomising ninja bastard gun.

That's probably because it's a good balance.
Anyway the old Doom pistol isn't shitty compared to RtCW's pistols - THEY are shitty >:-(
Oh yeah, and RtCW's weapon collection differed widely from the typical id FPS weapon collection.
I also think that there'll be a minor rearrangement in Doom 3 - that Doom 3 chaingun seems waaaay to powerful to be after the shottys.

DSM - is it just me, or do half the threads on Fan/Fic consist of our conversations?

Spike said:

DSM - is it just me, or do half the threads on Fan/Fic consist of our conversations?

Well, first off, I'm the Mod of this forum (and I love to "chat" with people), which means that I'm keeping a close watch over it. Another thing is that your views and mine spawn some interesting discussions.

I guess you're right, most of the threads on this forum consist of our discussions/chats.

Btw, I just got myself a new avatar I "perfected" a while ago :-)

Hurrah! i need a pic of Spike from Buffy.

Sometimes i think Jay only married me cuz i look like him...
Only kidding babe ;p

Btw i haven't done anymore fiction yet - i'm too busy on the WADs... we're *this* close!

*holds thumb and forefinger up, barely seperated*

Meh, I don't watch Buffy (actually, I only watch tv in the evening, if there's something worthwhile watching for once).

dsm said:

Meh, I don't watch Buffy (actually, I only watch tv in the evening, if there's something worthwhile watching for once).

Ah well, your loss... hang on, u mean u've never experienced the joys of Babylon 5, South Park, Father Ted or Shooting Stars???

Most definitly your loss... :(

Well, I've seen a few South Park episodes, I've seen a few Star Trek episodes (Star Trek doesn't appeal to me somehow) and I've seen a few Buffy episodes (Buffy seems pathetic next to Blade), but the others are pretty unknown to me, but that's not really my fault, as the TV channels we've got here are utter crap (they do show a decent movie once every blue moon though).

But you don't need to feel sorry for me, I've got Doom instead, besides, when you're used to the low level of entertainment, you don't worry much about it (at least it makes me enjoy good movies all that much more).

Oh man, you've gotta see 'Father Ted' sometime... it's a comedy about three inept priests (compulsive gambler, retard and drunk) living in a parish house on a remote Irish island.

Dougal : 'Ted, how dya get to Carnaghie hall?'
Ted (grinning): 'Practice!'
D (bemused): 'What?'
T: 'It's that old joke isn't it? How dya get to Carnaghie hall - practice!'
D: 'What?'
T: 'Oh. Erm, you'd have to get a plane, Dougal...'

Hand Grenades
Flame Thrower
Ice Gun
Lightning Gun
Acid Shooting Gun
Sniper Rifle
Railgun
Pulse Cannon
Gauntlet
Chainsaw
Double Bladed Chainsaw
Pump Double Barrel Shotgun
Gattling Gun
Rocket Launcher
Grenade Launcher
Plastic Explosive (think C-4, but call it C-7 or something)
Desert Eagle (for oldschool weaponry)
Auto Shotgun (ARG)
Mini Nuke
Energy Weapon
Plasma Gun
BFG 2704 (shoots tons of little energy balls)
BFG 9000
BFG 10k Stroggos War style
BFG 10k Arena Style
Nailgun (Team Arena Style, shoots tons of nails in one shot in a tight formation)
Unmaker (Lazer Gun, basically)
Sub-Machine Gun Akimbo (dual Uzis basically, but say, a 50 round clip per gun)
Blade Shooter (like the Razor Jack)
Dual Pistols
Machine Gun (think Q3A)
MP-5 w/ Stock, Scope, Silencer, L.A.M. and Tripod (an automatic Sniper Rifle ^_^)
M-16 w/ Grenade Launcher
Infantry Rifle w/ Bayonet (45 shot clip ^_^)
Ka-Bar Combat Knife
Hatchet

Hope this list helps ^_^

One weapon I won't include in this outing is the Railgun. Why?
Well, it is one of my favourite weapons but the problem with Railgun guns is that the round will escape the gravitational pull of Earth (or Phobos Base artificial gravity otherwise) therefore any targets that are hit would explode due to the excessive kenetic energy.
By the way, I found a website on how to build your own Railgun. Pretty easy if you've got the resources to buy shit loads of electromagnets.

Bad Luck Ranger said:

One weapon I won't include in this outing is the Railgun. Why?
Well, it is one of my favourite weapons but the problem with Railgun guns is that the round will escape the gravitational pull of Earth (or Phobos Base artificial gravity otherwise) therefore any targets that are hit would explode due to the excessive kenetic energy.
By the way, I found a website on how to build your own Railgun. Pretty easy if you've got the resources to buy shit loads of electromagnets.

And you couldn't imagine a railgun that works differently in a way that it even works in outer space? Remember that your story is set far out in the future and that what humanity will develop in the future may very well exceed our imagination.

I sure am taking that into account but the technology of Railguns is prety ancient dating back to early magnet up to modern day electromagnets I'm not sure what the next step is? Nuclearmagnet? Maybe?

please post the railgun: "build one for your kids to play" website

HAMMER-STROKE said:

please post the railgun: "build one for your kids to play" website

What for? Planning to get a weapon to shoot up your school with? ;-)

Why not just buy some organic soap, boil it down and scrape off a layer of glyserine... basically I'm ripping off Fight Club here but anyway... add some sawdust to the mix and hey presto... tnt.
Simple as insulting a Slipknot fan.

dsm said:

What for? Planning to get a weapon to shoot up your school with? ;-)

you can read minds ;)

Back on route.
By the way, I've decided to tell you guys of my "ultimate" weapon. I read about the new Unreal Tourny game and there's a weapon that vaguely sounds a lot like my idea. Though I have to admit it was ripped off from a series of Manga graphic novels. (Akira, it's different from the film).
The weapon will be in the possession of my main character, it's a small hand held laser beam that coordinates the location for an Ion Cannon shot. It'll kick ass.

Bad Luck Ranger said:

Why not just buy some organic soap, boil it down and scrape off a layer of glyserine... basically I'm ripping off Fight Club here but anyway... add some sawdust to the mix and hey presto... tnt.
Simple as insulting a Slipknot fan.

Or for more instant results, just throw lye into someone's face :).

Bad Luck Ranger said:

The weapon will be in the possession of my main character, it's a small hand held laser beam that coordinates the location for an Ion Cannon shot. It'll kick ass.

Similar to Command and Conquer: Renegade's Ion Cannon beacon? It starts raining and then a huge fucking beam comes out of the sky. That was the fucking shit.

It would be col.. but limit it only for 1 shot

you come to a open crater in the martian surface.. and you look above to see demios and phobos hangin in the orange sky. and you hear a loud scream coming from behiend a hill.. and you see a scared marine walking towarts you and telling you to run as hard as you can.. but you want to know where he is running from.. and you see a huge cyberdemon coming from behiend the hill chasing the marine.. you take your laser gun and shoots it on the cyberdemon.. and you start running away to take shelter.

Looking up into the air you see a bright licht coming from phobos and a beam of light strikes the demon and it looks up to where the light is coming from.. and you hear a humming sound and a big bolt of energy comes from phobos fasting towarts the cyberdemon.. the cyberdemon looks up and screams. When it strikes the demon it makes a huge bang and creates a shockwave.. it would rock

It wouldn't be just limited to one shot but I wouldn't want to over use it. Afterall would you want to be standing anywhere near ground zero?
As for cyberdemons, as I'm not planning on giving them a mention in my current series (I'm focusing on the pure-stream demons, not cybronic implants here) I will definitely give them license in the series after. But this rises an interesting argument? Where does ol' cybie get his implants from?
How did the demons assimilate cybernetic technology? Any suggestion?

Bad Luck Ranger said:

I will definitely give them license in the series after. But this rises an interesting argument? Where does ol' cybie get his implants from?
How did the demons assimilate cybernetic technology? Any suggestion?

Former humans come "equipped" with the knowledge they had of human tech - former humans are used to enhance some of the demons with implants.