Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #48

We are dumped on by no fewer than eighteen new WAD files, in our weekly digestion of the newest things deposited to CDROM.COM.

• Harvested Sorrow by Michael Smith - One single-player map for Doom 2, running on Map15. This is your typical linear single-player map. Pretty straight-forward. Search for the key, open the door, search for the key, et cetera. Very little detail and lots of Wolf3D-style mazes. Not all that difficult, either. Seemingly more than enough ammo to go around. Nothing very special.
  • Greenfish by Simon Howard - A very simple modification for Doom. The face in the status bar is replaced with a green fish. Its pupils get redder and redder as your health goes down. When it dies, it turns belly-up.
  • Oxygen by Jordan Buck - A single-player map for Ultimate DOOM this time, running on E1M2. It's a small, rather easy map. It contains your typical E1 monsters, nothing larger. Not all that much detail, but it still looks clean and nice. It does capture some Episode 1 feel, with the computer lab theme, and the inaccessible outdoor areas not unlike the outside of the windows of the last room of DOOM's E1M2.
  • 00_e2m8 by S. Woodman - One single-player map for Ultimate DOOM, running on E2M8. A rather cheap, cheesy map. Some demons, some Cacodemons. No detail whatsoever. Three Cyberdemons at the end that you need to kill with a BFG to finish off the map.
  • Subversion by Various Authors - Six interesting maps for Ultimate DOOM, E3M4 to E3M9. It starts out pretty tough. Monsters all around you, lots of Cacodemons and many cramped passageways, making it hard to dodge attacks. It stays this way throughout most of the WAD. Somewhat of a space lab, military base theme. Not very many secrets or puzzles to figure out. Just straight-forward carnage. Lots of lots of detail, though. So much detail, it almost makes your head hurt. Still, it looks nice, and plays reasonably well. Enhanced DOOM port recommended.
  • Doomolition by Kaiser - Eleven new weapons for Doom 2. A series of automatic and non-automatic weapons, as well as a knife. Some new sounds as well, of course. Nothing we haven't seen many times already. Requires EDGE.
  • Andydm1 by Andy Mckie - Here's something nice! One deathmatch map for Doom 2. This takes place in a sort of city, with buildings. These buildings are fully accessible with multiple floors and rooms. There are even underground sewers that you can wade through! This map is also quite playable in single-player, with some monsters thrown in. Requires Doom Legacy.
  • Wet Phannys by Andy Mckie - Somewhat of a sequel to Andydm1. Seven deathmatch maps this time, each with lots of monsters. This one is more of a high-tech spacey theme, with lots of outdoor and underwater areas. More of your usual room-over-room goodness, of course! Requires Doom Legacy.
  • Mummy3d by Andy Mckie - The quality continues. One map for Doom 2. Somewhat of an Egyptian theme to this map. Lots of statue and mural images. Some outdoor areas, and some more rooms over rooms. A decent challenge. Ammo and health balance seems reasonably good. Requires Doom Legacy.
  • Mummydm1 by Andy Mckie - This is quite similar to Mummy3d. Not the same map in itself, but the same sort of theme. More of your typical deathmatch map. Lots of monsters, just in case you're into deathmatching with them. The bright blue sky and city in the background seems quite pleasant. Requires Doom Legacy.
  • Phannys by Andy Mckie - To round this series of Andy maps off, a nine-level deathmatch WAD for Doom 2. Some of these maps are new, some are re-released. All of them are loaded with monsters, and pretty much all of them have a four-way-mirror to them. You know, the kind that makes a map confusing and repetitive. The same usual bunch of textures, and a few new sounds.
  • Poly Wad by David Fontaine - One map for Doom 2, running on Map01. A reasonably large map. Not all that much detail, but it looks okay in places. Quite difficult and overwhelming in places. The amount of ammo provided seems insufficient at first. It gets better later on if you're able to survive. Not much of a theme to this map at all. Random designs here and there. The music from Map09 of Doom 2 is used. Enhanced DOOM port recommended.
  • Circular Area by Jan Engelhardt - One deathmatch map for Doom 2. Somewhat of an interesting design. One basic square area, with some slopes and even an underwater area. Lots of weird eye decorations and grates that you fall through, not to mention water with a strange checkerboard pattern. Somehow, I can't help wonder if I'm missing something. Requires ZDoom.
  • The Square Base by Jan Engelhardt - Another strange deathmatch map for Doom 2. Marginally larger than Circular Area, it has somewhat of an octagonal design to it. An indoor area with ramps and underwater areas (that don't work properly), some tunnels, and a wet foggy outdoor area. There's also a surprise in the map somewhere. Requires ZDoom.
  • Some Old Level by Nuno Correia - One single-player map for Ultimate DOOM. This is one of the best Episode 1 style maps we've seen in a while. Not very difficult, no monsters larger than a demon. It has a very good use of textures, about as much detail as your E1 map. And those funny little brown outside areas which you can't get to, but still speak Episode 1 quite clearly. Oh and by the way, this map is several years old. The author found it on and old floppy, and decided to release it.
  • The Outpost III by RTC_Marine - One small map for Doom 2. Stainless steel and wood, with some torches and lava. Not altogether difficult. Lots of ammo and enough health to go around. I'm not sure what the purpose of this map is. I suppose you could play it if you wanted to.
  • Grail1 by Andy Mckie - It looks like the Andy onslaught isn't quite over. One large map for Doom 2. Somewhat of a water cave / castle theme, with some other goodies thrown in. This map leans toward the difficult side, with lots of imps shooting at you from underwater, and an ammo supply which is slightly stingy. Still, the experience of the outdoors can be a refreshing one. Requires Doom Legacy.
  • Egyptian Textures by Andy Mckie - This WAD contains the textures and graphics used in most of Andy's levels released this week. Lots of Egyptian textures, lots and lots of Egyptian textures. And other graphics too. Yep, some other graphics too.

Guest Lament

GREENFISH OWNS!!!!11111

Guest Lament

Already embedded it into the IWAD :)

Guest NunoC

"...This is one of the best Episode 1 style maps we've seen in a while..."

* NunoC goes search his floppies again :)

Guest NunoC

And a correction: all the outdoor areas in my map are easily accessible. One's a secret, another's a quirk I should've fixed.

Guest pablosky

Subversion works fine w/ good ol' doom exe.
Zdoom & Legacy gives to some of the maps errors...
..and the e-mail adress is not pablodictter.8m.com is pablodictter@hotmail.com, I guess I didn't fix that on the txt... = )

Guest NunoC

It has a fish, what else do you need :P

I really loved this little level set. Very enjoyable. I really liked the progression of theme and enemies etc.

I liked the Ep1, but with more detail and tougher enemies feel to the early levels, and the way that moved in to a differenrt style later.

The secret level is nice and slightly odd. Small, but quite innovative.

For me it was all over too soon.

I haven't tried the Andy McKie stuff. I was waiting to see what AndrewB was going to say about them as I don't have Legacy on my machine ATM since my HD crashed a week or so ago. I really liked his earlier stuff, so I guess I'll have to look out the legacy zip.

Guest Busted Corpse

why didnt ya just use the Zdoom bridge thing?

(thing type 9990, arg1 for radius, arg2 for thickness, z direction for height over ground)

sol is a good e1m1 replacement -- just don't fall out the window near the exit. heh

00_e2m8 -- nowhere near Metabolist's other stuff, he only released it after pleadings from players like me. It was fun to make demos for it...

the best newstuff is dwspd008 maps 1(Ebola) and 8(Swedish Fish).

many of the others are good, but those are pure quality.

Guest Fanatic

Lots of pretty nice levels!

FYI: the Legacy 3D floor levels work fine in EDGE 1.25 WIP, with the exception of the 3D water. I just added it tho, so next release of EDGE.WAD/EDGE DDF will have this in as well.

This is mostly for those that have problems running Legacy, you can try it in EDGE and see if it works any better. At least you have a choise. ;)

Ok, I will modify my levels with the bridge thing 9990. But AndrewB said something about chessboard flats - that is true. If there is a flat missing, ZDoom replaces it with a red-blue chessboard flat. AND THE F#CKING MISSING FLAT is in my h2 rwad.
/enjoy/

A big pile of crap; made about two years before my first HR2 map, when I was still using DEEP 6.24 and also in my pre-Internet days, so that could explain the quality. ;-) As Opulent said, "Sam could make better maps in two minutes these days."

Guest Rick Clark

How come the CTF levels never get reviewed?

>As Opulent said, "Sam could make better >maps in two minutes these days."

Sure that was not supposed to be...."Sam dosn't spend more than two minuts on a map anyway" ?

=P

Some of the maps were modified versions of iD maps and CDROM.com don't like those so they rejected them.

I have the zip if you want it.

Guest Busted Corpse

Yeah, sorry about that, I meant to email you...

The trouble was with e1m1ctf and a converted map from ctfdoom, both have now been removed :( and the 13-map zip is now in the incoming of /newstuff

Guest Busted Corpse

sorry...there in Newstuff now ! :):):)

hopefully they'll get reviewed next week

(nudges AndrewB)

but cool.... 1st ctf megawad :)

Guest Busted Corpse

also under levels/doom2/deathmatch/ports/a-c

:)

00_e2m8
It was fun to make demos for it...

For what?? There was nothing to this wad but a couple box rooms with a few monsters thrown in. You call three cybers and a bfg fun? Your wads are classics compared to this...hehe

Guest Rick Clark

Some of the maps were modified versions of iD maps and CDROM.com don't like those so they rejected them.

I only did one modified id Doom map (E1M1), but have done several CTF maps that were original and none have been reviewed. I'm not losing sleep over it, just wondering.

Guest Busted Corpse

nononononono.... sorry

The cdrom.com guy uploaded to newstuff at about 9.30 saturday night, at which point I saw that they were rejected. Then I altered the megawad, removing the two offending maps, and uploaded later saturday evening, these entered /newstuff on sunday morning, AFTER AndrewB's reviews had been posted... hence they should be in the next chronicles