Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arioch

First Doom GBA Screenshots

This is not as exciting as it looks.
The reason you become a game creator is to get the creative juices flowing not to regurgitate old material.
This game proved itself years ago and suits the PC perfectly because of it's open ended nature etc.
I sometimes wonder why they ever release new hardware when all that happens is old titles get thrown at it.
Just how many of you will spend the £35 on this game?
I love the game but just how many people have already got Doom for their PC, Mac, Playstation, MegaDrive, Kodak camera, Walkman, hearing aid or fucking watch?

I really wish publishers would step outside for a while and take a few more chances.

It looks like Doom Advanced will have co-op support and textured floors, unlike the Door for the SNES.
There also seems to be more detail, than on the SNES

The blood is green! probably because blood in videogames isn't allow in Germany, I think
Because of the no blood thing Doom Guy looks exhausted rather than injured as his health goes down

I hope they stick in some bonus death match levels, I would love to see a Gothic DM release of Doom Advanced

It looks like Doom Advanced will have co-op support and textured floors, unlike the Door for the SNES.
There also seems to be more detail, than on the SNES

The blood is green! probably because blood in videogames blood isn't allow in Germany, I think
Because of the no blood thing Doom Guy looks exhausted rather than injured as his health goes down

I hope they stick in some bonus death match levels, I would love to see a Gothic DM release of Doom Advanced

Guest mikeo007

I mean, come on! Look what we've got here, you and 3 buddys can have a deathmatch on the go, without having to lug around laptops! It looks so sweet. Definately improves on the Super Nintendo version. I wonder if it'll have see-through things like fences and such, cause I know the snes couldn't handle those. Now I can't wait to see the finished product! Damn it, hurry up x-mas!

Hey this is great, now I'm really going to buy me one of these. I'm sure it's just a conversion of the slap-textured Doom we played on the PSX and Saturn, but multiplayer support with 4 GBAs is very slick.

As for the green blood, haven't you ever killed a Baron of Hell? They've always died in a pool of green slop! Maybe id changed blood impact sprites to green like it shoulda been!

Looks like they're using recreated textures. Or it could just look that way due to the low resolution :)

Yeah, I totally agree. But unfortunatly computer games has gone down the "business" sewage pipe. The puplishers know this will sell, so they dismiss any original ideas from their imagintive employees and remake doom. Its not the 80s anymore of having people make games in their bedrooms and come up with great titles. Codemasters, for example started with two brothers. Look at films; the huge action packed flick will always do better than an origianal film that makes you think. Business in games is just catching up with every other market in media.

If there's no Doom 2 in this game, that means no SSG, which means no SSG in deathmatch, which means blargh.

Hmmm, interesting comments, I agree with what you're saying within the context of knowing what you and many people know and have experienced regarding Doom and computer games over the years, but what we must be aware of is the fact that millions of people have not! In fact there must be millions of game players now who were in their infancy when Doom was in it's 'heyday' and was 'state of the art',people who have never experienced it's incredible atmosphere and excitement. Because of its challenge and finely balanced gameplay it will always be a classic, even with the most basic of graphics, I would hazard to compare it with a classic card or board game, over time the packaging may change but the basic elements will remain.
Why do they release old titles like this? For the money obviously! But let's hope, as you say, this will enable them to 'step outside for awhile and take a few more chances'! I would love to play another game that can compare. Doom3 I hold a prayer!

Green blood:
you make a good point about the Baron of Hell but in the 3rd screen shot there seems to be green blood and no Barons of Hell

and then there's that green puddle in the background of the 5th screen shot

Those MARBGRAY textures in the 4th screenshot don't look like the original ones.

btw, there also appears to be Doom 2 bricks in the first screenshot, if you look closely.

Yeah looks like it.

If you look at shot 3 there's something green behind the gun sprite. looks like all blood is green. The nintendo way.

A fair point.
I suspect that Nintendo aim to recapture the same enthusiasm as they did a few years back with the SNES. (As well as recoup some profits from the disaster that was N64!)
In which case what better ambassador for finely tuned gameplay than Doom!
To that end if it makes more people aware of the game than would otherwise be then great.

I'm personally excited by the multiplayer options in GBA Doom. The rest of it I've seen before on MANY formats.

Just as an aside.. I notice your email is Supanet.com. You're not based in N.England are you? Round about Accrington?

The DM isn't exactly going to be serious given that we'll be using fecking joypads here, heh. Given that, I think reacquainting people with Doom1-style DM could be interesting, since it makes for a rather different style of play when the default weapon of most DMers - the SSG - is removed.