Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

Carmack On New Doom Engine

Please explain how what little storyline there is in Doom and Quake tie in with each other. You can't? Shame.

Guest Slapnutz

we hear ya we hear ya. by da way imma winner not a'h loser

Storyline? what are you on about. You run around shooting monsters with an assortment of weapons. Sounds like both games to me.

Also, anyone who goes out and buys a new computer just to play a new id game has a lot more money than sense, or a rich mummy/daddy with more money than sense.

As well as the an introduction in the text files and manuals that come with the games, the storyline is explained in the text that comes up occassionally in all three.

In Doom and Quake, it's at the end of each episode, in Doom 2 it's at the end of levels 6, 11, 20 and 30 (plus when you find the entrances to 31 and 32).

The Doom storyline resolves around the invasion of the Phobos and Deimos moons by hellspawn and you (a UAC marine) fighting your way through them then hell itself. Doom 2 continues the story, and sees you fighting off an invasion of earth.

In Quake you play another guy, in an obviously completely different game "universe" that has a totally different look and feel to it, and the story sees you thwarting the invasion attempts of a strange being from another dimension, Shub Niggurath, and its minions, which are much more fantasy-like than hellish.

Whoever called you an asshole was spot on. What a lamer. Does daddy get you an upgrade every time a new game comes out?

Yeah, well if you get taken in by all that spacefilling guff thats your problem. They put crap like that in to appeal to the RPG crowd, action game fans like me dont even notice stuff like that, we want instant gratification, not silly nerdy wee stories.

So you expect two games released over two years apart to have similar specs? Riiiggghhht.

The fact remains that you have completely different weapons, face completely different enemies, and fight in completely different environments.

Surely following your logic Half-life is Doom 4?

Guess what, I have a job. Computers are both my profession and my hobby. And you know, my bank account isn't suffering either ... and my upgrades come cheap.

Guest Busted Corpse

hmmm... surely at heart the story lines are the same for Doom and Quake, even Half Life...

i.e.

1) big organisation messes with new technology

2) New technology goes screwy

3) Many munchies for hungry enemies

4) YOU! yes, YOU! are the only one who can save the world, armed with only your (insert crap weapon here)

--btw, this isnt a bad thing, this works. :)

Guest Big Al

Face it people its games that are driving the upgrade cycle these days.
Off course companies are going to design for the newest high spec kit. Why? Because they can, the company buys it for them and most of the brain dead game buying public will upgrade so they can play whatever the magazines tell them it the next great thing.

Guest Big Al

I've got a job in computing as well, but I don't feel brain washed into buying constant upgrade just to play the next installment of Id software, whatever they call it.

Guest Big Al

Half-Life was produced by a different company so "logically" it can't be Doom4.

Guest Big Al

Wasn't Quake3 just a big sales demo for Id's latest graphics engine? Will not Doom3 just be the same?

But I suppose a more appropriate thing to say would have been...

In that case, surely Doom is in fact Wolfenstein 3?

Surely by your arguments we would all be using Xerox Alto's and CP/M's?

I upgrade my computers to do what I like. Playing newer games (and not necessarily id's!) is one of those aims.

I mean, who would've thought we'd need megabytes of actual memory? Or that something as wondrous as hard drives would come along?

Do you enjoy programming using punch cards?

If you don't want to upgrade to play the latest games, there's one obvious answer:

don't.

After all, we ARE all still playing a game that would play reasonably well on a high-end 386, right?

Yeah, right on. Though I have to admit that every upgrade Ive made was so I could run some daft game. But I am sure that companies like id are a bit lazy when it comes to optimizing their code, they even admitted it in the docs that came with quake.

I happen to know Big Al is a programmer in real life, earns a decent living from it. So what you are saying is your aim in life is to play newer games and to do so you got a job so you could keep up with the hardware demands of the latest releases.

you really are a strange person

I, um, do news updates for Doomworld.

And I'd like to see you try to play mp3s on a 386.

I feel that Ive been a bit nasty with my comments here, got a bit carried away with it all. I feel guilty about slagging a fellow doomer, shame on me. But dont you get pissed off when you upgrade then find out some of your favourite older games dont work on the new hardware? Im still fuming about Lemmings 2. Im not as bitter and twisted as some of my posts suggest, honest, ask Big Al, he knows me well.

Oh, your that arioch. okay sorry for the cheek, but I still think its daft to get obsessed with stuff just because its new. I argue about it with friends all the time.

Yeah, I've probably been more of an asshole than some of you really deserve.

I jumped from a 286 to a P166 back in 1996. I think even you guys would agree that was a worthy upgrade. :P

Nah, ignore the insults, I was just trying to get an argument going. I really had no idea you run the site. I just like to argue.
Im sure Big Al will agree. Im shocked he took part in this one, Ive been trying to get an argument from Big Al for years without success.

If you still dont believe me just visit my homepage, you will see what I mean about liking a good argument. Im not really a vegetarian, my favourite food is chicken curry.