Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

Gamespy Votes Doom Best Game Ever

That's right, Gamespy has released their Top 50 Games Of All Time. Can you guess which one came out on top? Their article on Doom is nothing short of extremely flattering, as well as accurate and not dumbfounded. Here is an especially interesting paragraph in the article...

It's a testament to Doom's superior design and longetivity that it still has a thriving community today, building modifications, maps, and utilities as if it were 1994. What's more, since id Software released the game's source code a few years back, a number of "source ports" have appeared, which extend the game's features and capabilities into the 21st century. There are versions of Doom that play over the Internet, replace the sprites with 3D models, and even offer OpenGL graphics support. These source ports have revitalized the Doom scene yet again, allowing for ever more creative maps and episodes. As a result, there's never been a better time to be a Doomer.

Thanks to StifleX for letting us know about this. Well, what are you waiting for? Go read it!

Guest Excalibur_Z

Damn right!

Guest Twitch

Hey I did it under POTD and i also stated how it linked to doomworld's source port, now i cry

Guest Black Knight

I play doom.

Guest Fanatic

Every time I read about one of these top whatever of all times, and it's obvious from the start that DOOM is the top one, I always think, man, these guys must be hurting for ideas.

I end up seeing something DOOM is #1, and say "well duh".

i certainly agree with the veredict, tho i'm sure if the next id game would have been quake 4 or "alien vs. velociraptor" doom might have been unjustly relegated to a less worthy position, but oh well, such influential matters always play a part in such top # lists (cause they dictate where peoples attention and expectations are heading, more or less), but it's cool that the current events actually enhance the weight of something i agree with/find to be "true"

Guest WadEd

Yeah, but if Doom came in at a close second or even third the community would flip their wigs.

Not really; most people don't give a crap what gamespy think. Besides, I've seen top 50/100 games of all time features where Doom came things like eighth and ninth, and sometimes even lower (it's something like 39 in the PC Gamer UK's top 100 for example) and there wasn't a huge outcry over them.

Yep, all the sausage bashers seem to congregate there for some reason.

Newdoom.com: the militant vegetarian section of the Doom community.

I recall a top 100 list from 1996 summer. Doom2 came in second. doom1 came in 37:th (weird, I know) guess wich game got the first place? Command & Conquer. Blah- well it was a crappy paper anyway. they didn't have a clue of who made what. If I recall correctly they had written the GT interactive had made doom1 and ID released it (in the published developer box below the review) and in the doom2 review they claimed ID made it but Virgin released it. bah, but they also said youi could turn people into chickens in Hexen and that the plasmagun was a BFG:

DOOM OWNS!!!Whats Half-life?Unreal Tournement is that some kind of skateboarding thing?Hmmm....

It was an unfair poll, nothing else, except maybe quake, which was really doom3, has ever come close.

Quake was DooM 3? So I guess Quake 2 and 3 were DooM 4 and 5?
I reckon Evilution should have been DooM 3. If the new DooM 3 is called DooM 3 when it's released let's all call Evilution Old School DooM 3.

BTW did TNT and the peoples that made Plutonia ever get a license from id to release a DooM 2 IWAD with mostly everything original except the 32 levels?

If TNT: Evilution was Doom 3, then the Diablo II Expansion was Diablo IV, Diablo II would be Diablo III, and the Diablo 1 Expansion is Diablo II.

Final DOOM was the Doom 2 Expansion Pack.

Just play the game, play the game, it's much simpler.No way was Quake Doom3, never in a million years, Quake should be so lucky!

<font size=1><samp>doom is dead, long live death</samp></font>

What was wrong with quake? The only thing that annoyed me was having to upgrade to make it playable. Same type of game as doom, made by the same people. I think they would have called it doom 3 if doom 2 had a better reception. I think the original levels in doom 2 were mostly crap, Im sure the people at id thought so too, they were just cashing in.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing really wrong with Quake, it's just a bit sparse and short on excitment in comparison, still a great game but Doom is so much more.I believe Quake was a necessary technological advance but not an advance in gameplay.

Surely that's like saying that Theme Park is Populous 3, Baldur's Gate is Fallout 3, and that Team Fortress 2 is Half-Life 2?

hmm I'm looking to see if 'XCOM: UFO Defense'/'UFO: Enemy Unknown' is in there... I can't seem to find it :/

If Gamespy voted Doom #1 based on what it brought to the world of games, they got it right. The game still is fun after many years. Half-Life should be a strong second because of the quality of the release (the game played fine out-of-box on a P-133), and the great support that Valve software gives to those mod-makers out there. Counter-Strike which was originally a mod which got direct support from Valve programmers, is a good example of that. I hope that in the future, ID software would support Doom III mod-makers the same way.

Doom is number one, Doom is number one..! Hurah.
What I don't like is the Zelda games are below Half Life. The Zelda games were bigger and better. I also think X-Com should have been in the top ten, and the Elite games should have been up there too. Also, where is Sonic?
I always get the impression that the people that make these "Top" lists havn't actually played many games from the olden days.

AUGH!!!!

I can't believe they made Super Metroid #46. Forty-six???? It should be in the top five!

Quake was #5. If they moved that down to 46 and Super Metroid up to 5, that would be perfect.