Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

Gamespy Votes Doom Best Game Ever

It seems to me that people think this list is based soley on gameplay, but IMHO it seems to be based on several other factors as well, such as longevity, how the games have influenced subsequent games, etc.

What impact has Super Metroid had on other games? I think it's safe to say not much; it really wouldn't have made much difference if it had never been made.

If Quake had never been made, on the other hand, things would be very different. The Quake engine alone has had a huge impact.

Even if Half-life had actually been made if Quake hadn't been, it would have been very different, especially as it would have had to use a completely different engine. And that would have meant that Counter-Strike would probably not exist either.

Other games, such as Soldier of Fortune 1 & 2, Sin, Medal of Honour, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, etc. would either not exist or be completely different. Even non-Quake engine games such as Unreal have obviously been influenced by Quake.

Similarly, Elite may have been revolutionary at the time, but there really aren't that many Elite style games compared with, say, strategy, RPG or FPS games. Besides, the sheer crapness of Frontier: Elite 2 may well have lessened many people's opinion of the original.

there's boatloads of elite clones, my brother is playing a different one every week.

That's why I said "compared with"... there's way more strategy, RPG and FPS' than space trading games.

Guest Liam the Bard

Those ninnies at gamespy. HERETIC 0WNZ DOOM!

Guest BenT

<font size=1><samp>I always get the impression that the people that make these "Top" lists havn't actually played many games from the olden days.</samp></font>
---
Hi. I work at GameSpy, and wrote the Doom blurb. If you can't tell, I'm a big fan of the game. I even check DW regularly, though all the "Gayspy" comments this has provoked are kinda annoying. At least get creative if you want to slam us. :P

Anyway, the list was made by taking the top 10's of both in-house GameSpy employees and developers from throughout the industry... literally hundreds of the latter. So, I daresay that a majority of the people who were polled have actually played their fair share of games, and know what they're talking about.

Admittedly, the results are heavily skewed toward the PC. That's just a reflection of GameSpy's roots and the developers they are closest with, though. It's still a PC-centric company.

Me needs to think of something to say, but me not sure what to say. How about... grav..nah. Oh wait...anti..anti..nah. What to talk about, um... socks! Yes, I'll talk about.. nah too smelly.
Stuff it, me just say for now, look out for Oda Calone!
(and me not meaning perfume)

I can personally think of over 50 games that are better than Wolfenstein 3D, so it's no suprise to me.

I _am_ suprised that Lords of Midnight/Doomdark's Revenge and the Dizzy series aren't on there though :)

Okay, Ive just visited gamespy to see the top50 for myself. Im shocked. No Sensi, speedball 2, x-wing, elite, Lemmings, no pinball games, unbelievably no driving games, not even GTA. If that list isnt made up then Im a gorgeous blonde with big tits, or gamespy only took opinions from a bunch of nerdy anoraks who wont drag themselves away from their RPGs incase real life gets them. Am I the only guy who loved Screamer and The Need for Speed games, Grand Prix, Carmageddon etc

Elite has one of the largest hardcore fan bases out there and has inspired well over a hundred games. Not only was the trading part of the game fantastic but the combat, ship design, and other features such as fuel scoop, bounty hunting and the police makes one of the best games ever. It wins on the most ported game (to every computer system there is), and many of the features have gone in to games other than space games. Plus I have never played one game for years and not get bored because of its freedom and excitment.
I think, as usual, this Top list of games takes modern titles with nice grahpics instead of the real gems. Most of the list should have come from the Spectrum and Commodore, but then the youngsters wouldn't be interested.

yeah, that was some game. The gameplay is so good the graphics dont matter. the most absorbing game I ever played. I still have the original 5 1/4 inch floppy.

Guest Busted Corpse

Trouble is, tastes in gaming shift depending on where ya sell them... the US is a huge market for FPS, Japan shifts more RPG's than anyone else and apparently the UK is into strategy games (*English Doomer shrugs*),

So any top-50 list is going to be influenced by location as much as anything.

Also, despite games like Elite being incredible, things have got to the stage where you cant even run some of these games on a windows system, being DOS based and stuff...

And how many really good games were there on the Speccy? despite being a proud owner of a 128k +3, the best game on the Spectrum is...um... Doom :)

3D Monster Maze frightened the be-jesus out of me as a kid!

Arioch:
Rogue is a work of genius.
You needed an imagination but it was great fun. Same could be said for Zork.

Doom for me is probably tops, based soley upon man hours lost but the top Lucasfilm games of the 80's probably come in a close 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Ballblazer. Rescue on Fractalus. Eidolon.

Mercenary wasn't bad either.

Guest Big Al

For a real poll of the top games of all time ask the people how count, the game playing public.
Ask your employees and the games industry is like asking a politician what the best party to vote for.

Ive got an old xt to run the really old stuff. You can pick them up for next to nothing these days. I wouldnt part with mine for anything.

Guest j00 equals ded

Oh come on, you know gayspy has been utter bullshit, conquering the web one gh3y site at a time. Now they have 50. Yay.

Doom 3 isn't out yet dumbass

quake 3 wasn't doom3 it was quake 3, you know, follow up of quake 1 and quake 2? games tend to be called what they are called. for instance 5 = 5. are some of you stupid? "duh was quake 3 doom 3?" no it was quake 3 idiot what kind of stupid question is that

quake was and still is an awesome game, that's why they just officially released a half-life mod after original quake deathmatch

half-life is more fun than doom

doom2 sucked except for last level

This kind of activity reminds me of the classic scene in the 'Kentucky Fried Movie'.
You know, the one where this white weedy guy (Capt. Dangerous or something) walks into a back street full of black guys and yells as loud as his lungs will let him 'NIGGERS!' then legs it.

Difference is, you come along, insult everyone, their common interest - Doom, and then stay here!

If you dont like doom what are you doing here? I know, its the school holidays and youre bored.

You should change that handle, here in the UK BENT means GAY or Criminal, coming from Gayspy it has connotations.

Guest BenT

Yeh, I was actually told that last year by a British coworker. Now I know why Brits sometimes look at me funny when my nick is mentioned.

Oh well, fuck it. Don't care. :D