Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arioch

POTD

But regardless of how little light sourcing there is, there would still be shadows and what not... it is impossible to be in a world without shadows unless of course light was shining from every possible point that it could, and the same intensity of light, at that... either way, a few shadows would make this map a lot better looking... that's just my opinion though...

Like everyone's saying, the slopes and general outdooriness look cool, but variation in lighting is a very powerful tool and can change an incredibly drab room to a mecca of detail.

I'm prepared to bet, that like many (all?) Kesler maps before this, there will be good, appropriate use of light variation inside, where you would expect to find bright lights and dark corners.

In a dimly lit out door scene, or even a brightly lit one, light variation tends to be less obvious, and often less approprite (IMO) when constructing a fairly open outdoor scene in a doom level. It still has its place, but it would need to be a lot more subtle, unless things like street lamps etc were being used.

Guest Twitch

What was the map title for the POTD that features oriental style(like had little oriental lanterns) I liked that and wanted to keep an eye out

If I could get my hands on this map and do some lighting tricks, I guarantee you'd like it a lot better, but that's just what I think, maybe I'm wrong, who knows..?

Guest kesler

there is lots of smoothed lighting in this map. This ia not an easy task with slopes involved (think about it) so it's slow going. I will not use smoothed lighting in the outdoor area. I feel it would be stupid to attempt sector-smoothed lightingin the outdoor area , since it's such a large area already, it doesn't need more to slow it down.

You'd better get togather and do alternative DOOM 3 engine and sell it and make a lot of money and kick id's ass.

You know what you mean? you mean you're trying to go against the immortal one, John Carmack. Heh. Good luck on making an engine that's even CLOSE to what he's got.

Guest Khan

yeah, what editor r u using?

Guest Busted Corpse

Wadauthor rocks the, as you say, house... then crashes for no reason, taking half an hour of work with it. *sigh*

Guest demoness

Wadauthor sucks, it crashes too much. Use somthing like DCK or DEU, they always work for me.

Guest kesler

Well, I've used wad author since 96, and built 45 maps with it...I have NO complaints. The only way it crashes is when you do something wrong....you can't argue with me on this, I've used the program for years, and I know it's every nook and cranny :)

Kurt.

Yeah use DCK, DCK is as steady as a ROCK. </sarcasm>

DCK is by far the most bugginfested mapdesign tool for Doom I ever used. It have a nice interface but everything you do fucks the map over in some way. Like if you increment the map (I had to do this once to use a special feature in Legacy that isn't even around anymore) it totally skrewed over all the textures in the map.

Guest Khan

so is deu. i've always used deu to create my levels

Guest Busted Corpse

oh, your right... but then I am incredibly lame at map making :)

Guest Busted Corpse

oh, your right... but then I am incredibly lame at map making :)

Guest Khan

why do you use html flags in your comments? its weird, but then again, aren't we all?

Kurt,

I'm not going to argue about WA with you, I'm sure you know the editor better than I, and that's probably because every time I start the damn thing, it crashes. It crashes before any editing interfaces open up. Maybe you are right and I'm doing something wrong by opening up WA? ;)

SoM

Guest kesler

well, as I've always said, use what you like. I just had to defend my personal favorite :)
Thats weird about your crashes SoM, and I'm sure if we went step by step through the setup it would run for you (not that you care though heh). I'm sorry if wadauthor does'nt run right for some people, but for my needs, it's great.

Kurt.

Guest Khan

did you change the content in the wauthor.ini file? that may be your problem, you know....