Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arioch

Darkest Hour Released

ReX has posted to our forums here the news that the Darkest Hour project (a 7-level hub-based Star Wars TC for ZDoom) is 100% complete and has been uploaded to its homepage here and should be available for general consumption from Doom Center in short order. He's also got 10 more screenshots for you to peruse.
Note: The Darkest Hour has been mirrored here in case you cannot access its pages.

I can't open the page. Is it down? Can anyone put the direct download link on here?

there are a bunch of servers that are either extremely slow or completely down tonight.

hope to grab these tomorrow...

Its all those trekkies hogging the bandwidth, Im more interested in the new one from Ebola but cant get that either.

Guest Busted Corpse

This is FANTASTIC

I normally dont like themed TC's, as in my mind they are only successful if they capture the "feeling" of the original, whatever that means... and the only ones I have discovered that do this are the original Aliens TC and Twilight Warrior.

However...

One thing really stood out for me in this wad, the bit where you are trapped in Quattro the Hutt's palace, and have to escape.

You are immediatly charged at by far too many guards, and have to run for you life... charging through corridors filled with more guards you suddenly find yourself in a kind of arena, with these four grenade-toting bosses you've gotta kill, all the while the guards swarm up to the fence to get a look at the combat.

This works so well, the dynamic shift in storyline is fantastic and most importantly it is very, very Star Wars.

um...some of the Vader dialogue grates a bit though.

Absolutely fantastic. It took frikiin ages to DL so I didn't get it until like 5 am. I started playing and only stopped because I was too tired to see or think straight. After a few hours I got up and finished it.

A very complete project with a very non Doom and very Star Wars feel to it, reflected in both the look, gameplay and atmosphere.

Even though I had a few "conversations" via e-mail with Rex about this project he kept so much of it close to his chest that playing it was a real voyage of discovery, and a very enjoyable one.

And on a vaguely related note:

"Star Wars: Episode II, Attack of the Clones" confirmed as the title for Episode 2 about the same time as Darkest Hour became available.

"reflected in both the look, gameplay and atmosphere"

That's 3 things, not 2

Yeah, see what you mean about the download rate. 23k in 5 minutes so far!

This is one of the best TCs I've ever seen, easily the best Star Wars TC, and maybe even the best zdoom TC.

Detail isn't amazing, but it's still very good and perfectly suits a star wars environment. Very non-linear. Difficulty is perfect.
You are DOOMED to waste hours and hours on this TC.

I've played it for only about an hour so far and I'm still struggling to survive the first level.

Guest Busted Corpse

I just remembered where I'd seen map03 before, its inspired by Pampolana (or something like that) ,Running of the Bulls, which was a slige-based map by the Slige author... you spent the entire level being chased by all these demons, it's really cool... I guess that's why it's got a reference in the text file under "May not run with..."... or it could just be a meaningless coincidence :S

After finally downloading it, I have to say this is great. Although I compleated it in the same time it took to DL. Awww