Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #50

Guest Volte-Face

You have to use DOOM Legacy to play it. And DON'T tell me you don't know what Legacy is. :)

Hell's Arena. Fun, loads of it. This wad took me back to the old doom1 deathmatch days. Ive not enjoyed playing a wad so much in ages, pure, simple, ultra violent fun. Ideal for a shotgun sniper like me. I love it.

Guest Busted Corpse

Bloodsport contains the best looking Capture the Flag maps ever.

Bloodsport also contains CTF maps that would be very interesting to fight over, and therefore rock.

The Skulltag bots, on the other hand, cant hack CTF yet... I sincerely hope that they mangage to build in a proper (optional) node system (unless they have already?) 'cos then they would rock even more than the doombot (heresy!) , while still remaining at a playable level with more than two opposing bots.

Here endeth the sermon, tea and coffee will now be served in the rectory.

Guest Volte-Face

"I know what Legacy is. I got the error while I was using Legacy, and not regular Doom."

Really? That's what error you get when you run it with regular Doom... wierd.

In case this helps, the DOS command I typed was:

legacy -file phobia.wad

Legacy works fine in regular Doom, although I haven't tried it with any other maps yet.

Try the windows version, run it from the launcher. Below the part where you type the wad name you can add extra options. type -mb 20 (gives the wad 20 Mb Ram). Oh yes remember to use opengl. (setup option) and for game mode select doom2

that should be
-mb 20
you can use a larger number but I find that can slow things down in parts of some wads.

Guest Volte-Face

"Legacy works fine in regular Doom, although I haven't tried it with any other maps yet."

I'm talking about running Phobia in Legacy.

I get Phobia to run without a problem, just that my underpowered PC (pentium 233) wont give me a decent frame rate. Most wads Ive tried work fine in Legacy, even some of those 'Boom only' wads.

Your own wad (Hells Arena) runs fine in Legacy, I played it for hours after downloading it. Nice work.

Yes, I want to see a non-skulltag version of bloodsport, so I can run it w/ doombot & set up nodes. Then you would see some excellent botmatches.

Guest Volte-Face

Thanks!

Guest Volte-Face

that's to mystic btw :) mellow got in there slightly before I did.

Phobia: Amazing!!! Without a 3D card you're seriously disadvantaged (you'll need a 1GHz+ to run it acceptably in software)

Nexus: Great map. I've seen other maps by Brad, and this is well up to his usual standards.

Angel: Not bad at all. Certainly the best that I've played of Prower's levels.

Guest Volte-Face

Do you have the very latest Legacy? Try downloading from their site.

I think the Legacy people put out the wrong files in one of their zips, I remember having trouble with the windows update version to fix the software mode bug. I think I fixed it by mixing and matching the two versions of 1.32 (one of the files was called gllegacy.exe instead of Legacy.exe)

Guest Busted Corpse

Ill work on converting Bloodsport... if its possible.

Guest Busted Corpse

obviously, itll need some flat , texture and weapon changes, as well as sorting out some replacement for jump pads... Ill probably start work on just the first map.

1.3 won't work for many reasons. I haven't tested it with 1.32beta 1 but I think it should work. 1.32 beta 2 is the oldest version I've tested it with. I'm currently fixing "bugs" or rather visual errors in Phobia, so it'll look good for Beta3 that now have most software features included in hardware.

That beta 3 really speeds Phobia up a bit on my shitty PC, I hope it wasnt anything I said. I was more bitter at my sluggish hardware than your wad.

I better go and upload my latest creation so I have an excuse to keep coming back here. One of these days someone is bound to pick on me.