Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

POTD

Looks cool. Too bad I have all those. Plus master levels/maximum doom. And D! zone 1000,
150 and 250. I have the editors book/disc with tons of levels on it.

I love your name, a good licking would cheer you up.

They should re-release the id anthology. I already have it but I know most of you lot dont. ha ha

I think I will wear my black Quake T-shirt and play with my metal cyberdemon tonight.

So letme get this straight... they're taking all the old games and putting a new box on it? wtf... I won't waste my money for somehting I already have, ya know?

As a Hardcore Doomer, it is my duty to purchase this fine piece of Doom items.

You should too!

I still wish I had bought one of those Anotholgys when I had the chance...

I think it's mainly intended for the people who don't have Doom, want to play Doom but can't because it's no longer sold in a store near them. They are then forced to beg for warez on IRC channels and forums.

Guest Fanatic

I'd probably buy it, just for nostalgia purposes. I have all the included games already, so I would just never open it. ;)

Guest j00 equals ded

in a short while, ill have master levels with maximum doom, along with D! Zone 3000, 1000, 900, 250 and 150.

check em out, looks nice.

Guest cocoon

I think the main target with that box are kids who were too young to play doom when it was origonally released, an dnow they've heard of the upcoming doomgame.. so this is a great opportunity to sell a shitload of those.

And also for all those nostalig persons who wants to play the orig. game before the third one comes out...

My guess.

Guest Busted Corpse

Well, Im buying it.... I wanna copy of final doom :(

Bet its gonna cost loads

Why the f**** can't they just stuff EVERYTHING in there? Final, Ultimate, 2, Master levels.... all of it! Nah, that'd be a good thing(tm) now, wouldn't it?

Oh well, i'm gonna buy it anyway, since i'm a freeloader, only doom i've paid for is Ultimate, never played final :)

"Bet its gonna cost loads " - urh... 20 bucks

WaveLength: because if you remember, Doom 2 was rated Mature (15 in the UK).

Pupz: Maximum levels is a collection of levels from the internet that comes with The Master Levels.

Whoops, that's what all video games are for. (cf. Quake series) The funniest thing in the world is people who think that a game is high quality simply because they enjoy playing it. The rarer breed are those who won't play a game they enjoy simply because its quality is low.

What I'm trying to figure out is, who (except the small band of extremists found here :) ) would want to play Doom at 320x200 when their computer can easily handle 800x600?

I'm surprised they didn't ask for Randy's permission to use Zdoom, or simply change the resolution themselves. I like old games like atari 2600 and pre-wolf3d platformers, but after you've seen a 3d game at a decent resolution, I don't see the fun or nostalgia in going back.

Guest Excalibur_Z

"The funniest thing in the world is people who think that a game is high quality simply because they enjoy playing it."

Um, yeah. Obviously a game can't have high-quality gameplay if people stop playing it the day after release.

"who (except the small band of extremists found here :) ) would want to play Doom at 320x200 when their computer can easily handle 800x600?"

You have to take what you can get. The original Doom didn't support high resolutions, but people still play it. They play it because it's the official deal... some people here don't like playing source ports (speedrunners mostly). You also have to take into account that Doom is a pretty old game and its resolution was pretty high for its day =)

"...after you've seen a 3d game at a decent resolution, I don't see the fun or nostalgia in going back."

That's because people get spoiled by high-res graphics. People get caught up in high-power video cards that support T&L and trilinear filtering and all these other gimmicks. It's my personal belief that people only buy games so they can show off their video cards, CPUs, and RAM... such is the case with a couple friends of mine who have gotten into Homeworld, Emperor: Battle for Dune, and Tribes II -- all games I think suck, personally, but they look good. I just hate them because the gameplay sucks. What's graphics without the gameplay to back it up?

Sorry, kinda went off on a tangent there... anyway, you should only go for higher resolutions if you're sure your machine can handle it without any slowdown whatsoever, or if it doesn't hamper your gaming experience at all. I personally don't really care about higher resolutions in most cases... I play Legacy and JDoom at 640x480, but my machine can go higher. It just doesn't need to go higher. As long as I can tell what an Imp and a Baron look like, I'll do fine. Sometimes, people also won't try higher resolutions if it's not supported officially (higher resolutions are supported in source ports but not in vanilla Doom.exe)

<<such is the case with a couple friends of mine who have gotten into Homeworld, Emperor: Battle for Dune, and Tribes II -- all games I think suck, personally, but they look good. >>

Maybe your friends simply agree with the magazine and website reviewers who rate Homeworld and Tribes 2 extremely high in terms of gameplay, and I think they probably know what they're talking about.

Just because you don't like the gameplay doesn't mean other people don't. The games don't have bad gameplay (although Emperor could be an exception here), it's just that obviously you don't enjoy those types of games, or some part of them.

Guest Excalibur_Z

You mean the site and magazine reviewers who think graphics are the same or better than quality gameplay and are in kahootz with nVidia?

"Just because you don't like the gameplay doesn't mean other people don't."

Uh yeah, that's ... why I said it was my personal opinion.

"...it's just that obviously you don't enjoy those types of games, or some part of them."

Well obviously. I don't like Homeworld because there are no terrain advantages. The battle is essentially the same with every map: a 4-3rds-pi-r-cubed threat. You can be attacked from any angle. Well sure that's nice when you play the game for the first time, but after that, it gets old. Fast. I favor Starcraft here because of the terrain features - you can set up outposts on high ground where your opponent is at a disadvantage, for example - if it were Homeworld, you'd either hyperspace jump or fly around it... where's the fun in putting someone under siege if they can just get around it?

Tribes II. Oh, heh, this is a gem. Tribes, that was decent. It kept my interest for a little while, but then why don't I just play Team Fortress? It's essentially the same, without weird jetpacks or vehicles that require reasonably intelligent people to pilot. I don't really like depending on teammates at all, which is something you have to do in Tribes and Tribes II. That pretty much nullifies any positive individual effort. It only gets frustrating when someone can't do his part adequately enough to get the job done. See, anyone who screws up his job in Tribes II ruins it for the whole team, because the team depends on each person doing his best. Maybe if there were decent people on my team who followed instructions instead of going Lone Wolf all the time, I would show a little more respect for the game's ideas, but people are too greedy. Couple that with the fact that it runs horribly on any midrange machine and requires an Internet connection (you're not going to see 128 people playing Tribes 2 at a LAN) where lag and server performance is an issue, and you've got a game that takes too much and doesn't give enough back.

No, I mean the magazines and websites that think gameplay is more important than graphics.