Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arioch

ZDoom 1.23B25 Released

Anyone what could be the cause of missing sound in zdoom? this did not actually start after this beta, but the previous beta also had that problem.

And no, all other doom ports, games, and sound producing apps work fine.

Guest warlock

I must thank Randy for SDL and Timidity support. This lets me finally play Zdoom under Linux... I suggested it but never saw a reply... maybe he listened to me after all or maybe someone else opened his eyes :) either way, thanks.

Guest jammet

Does anybody else has problems compiling it? I removed the gcc -V3 parameter since I don't have it. I run 2.9.3. Put fmod API where it belongs, started compiling, and it stops with an error after a while. See the zdoom forum (bug section) for a posting I made on that. Help me please.

Arioch, thanks for the other mirror =).

Jammet

"Sorry for nicking that animated fan from your old megawad"

No problem, I nicked it from "Strife" anyways.

"I'm a Hearts fan..."

I couldn't see any actual evidence on your site when I was on there a while back, but the surname, and more importantly your sense of humour indicated Scotland.

Hearts now. Getting less and less likely you are from anywhere else.

Yeah, Edinburgh, to be precise. Its nice to know a fellow Scot. The Doom community seems to be mostly Scandinavians (with extremely detailed wads) and Americans (with all the latest processors etc)

I am working on some levels with a Scottish flavour. I recently took some photos of Roslin Chapel and am currently trying to make textures with them.

I WANT ZDOOM! DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHERE I CAN DOWNLOAD THE LASTEST VERSION! NONE OF YOUR LINKS AND MIRRIRS WORK AT ALL! AHHHH!

That had me in stitches. I wish i had thought of it. I was thinking of Grail Quest but now...

Guest jammet

My mirror (posted earlier hier) _does_ work! A dozen people have gotten the linux zdoom source off of it. There's no binaries or win32 version though, that has been mirrored throughout the net already =P. Of course! Try doomcenter.

Jammet

Aardappel:

I'd head over to the fmod page (www.fmod.org) and get the small package and try the small player. If that works it's randy's fault ;) if not its caused by fmod.

if the player works you could try messing with the the sound variables in the console to make sure fmod uses the right sounddevice.

# grep -c 123beta25.zip xferlog*
xferlog:123

# grep -c 123beta25-src xferlog*
xferlog:11

Check out the Zort series. Inspiring Zdoom levels. Find them on CDRom.com

Thanks for the help! It was indeed an fmod issue, I found out that fmod doesn't work using the directsound driver on my system (SBlive), only using waveout. However, I haven't found out how to tell zdoom to use waveout, snd_output="WaveOut" didn't help.

aardappel: wicked indeed, as i have both a sb32 and a live card zdoom always uses the sb32 and therefor I wasn't aware of such problems with fmod and the live card...

i'll mess around with zdoom and see if fmod behaves the same here.

ok, now I've got it (almoust :( )

the things to look for is the cvars

snd_driver and snd_output (in conjunction with snd_buffersize, read on and you'll get it)

snd driver is a number found in the list given by entering snd_listdrivers in the console.

snd_output can either be default, d_sound or "waveout". The annoying thing here is that i don't know how zdoom expects it to be typed wave_out, waveout, l33t_s0unDc4rD or??? so you'll have to either ask Randy about that or look thru the sourcecode.

default means in win9x Me and 2k d_sound and in NT waveout.

*only* when using waveout snd_buffersize is the size of the sound buffer. Smaller buffer means lower latency (delay between action and sound) this should be set to the lowest value where sound is still sounding good (no crakle's or pops) - experiment :)

fmod + sb live! x-gamer = works for me(tm)
fmod + sb live! x-gamer 5.1 = works for me(tm)

This is with both stock drivers and the latest leaked beta v3219 drivers.

Guest jammet

# zgrep -c 123beta25-src transfers
transfers:81

So, looks like it worked after all...

Guest jammet

Something wasn't right it half of it got download so make it a 41 instead. That's way more than I expected still. Anybody else getting internal compiler errors trying to compile it?

Jammet

Yeah I figured as much. But it won't be in the source I think, as its something zdoom queries windows for. I just checked, but there's no reference to even "wave" (case insensitive) in the exe that could be it.

Guest Randy Heit

snd_output winmm

Guest Ricrob

...this is rather funny, but not so funny. my new optical intelliMouse doesn't work at all with this new release of zdoom. However, it does work with good ole' original Doom, so it must be something to do with zdoom. A fix would be nice.

I wish kesler had made kzdoom7 with version 1.22 cause I've yet to been able to play it with these bug filled versions from 1.23 on up.

I dont find all this stuff very encouraging. I was making a genuine effort to support zdoom, edge etc. But it seems that you need a degree in computer science to make these things work. Then if you get it working you need a really fast PC to get anything like decent fps. Im going to stick with Legacy, its fast, reliable and looks good and it works with most of the wads out there, including the Boom ones.

ricrob: the mouse problem is a known bug with the 25 version (read tarin's post below ...),to sum up just use alt+tab while running zdoom to get out of it and then activate the window again and the mouse will function :)

mystic: i truly can't understand your problem with zdoom, just unzip the contents of the file and add an iwad or all of them (doom.wad doom2.wad heretic.wad etc) to the directory where you put zdoom, as easy as that. (although it's possble that it's not that easy to find out)

add up to that the major problems i had to get legacy running thru it's laucher, having the iwad in any other directory as the one legacy was in effectively blocked legacy from working. (although passing the -iwad worked fine i think)

a problem seems to be that in this age of winM9x/Me/nT/2k/xp etc many newbies can't handle simple switches, like -iwad, -file, -nomusic etc and rely on launchers and automagical installation programs. I personally dislike most of those but then again, alot of people loves them...

:)

I didnt say I had a problem with it, I was just going by the comments below zgrep this, fmod that, it all seems a bit fussy. I am quite happy with old style command line options. My PC is set up to boot into dos, yup Im an old dosser.

Those were file transfer logs showing the number of people who've downloaded either the ZDoom 1.23b25 binaries or the source code from our various mirrors, thus disproving certain people who claim none of the mirrors worked.

Those were just command line params/config file arguments that people were using if the sound didn't work.

If the sound DOES work, then you won't have to do any of these things.