Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
fraggle

Freedoom Update

Hi, I'm fraggle, and thanks to Linguica I'll be doing a weekly updateon the progress of Freedoom here on Doomworld.
It's been roughly a week and a half since we finished the last of theflats (floor and ceiling textures)- we have now succeeded in replacing all of the originalDoom 1 and Doom 2 flats. Thanks are in order to everyone whocontributed flats. Our main goal now is to continue with the wall patchesheading towards our goal of creating replacements for all the Doomtextures.
In the past week since this happened we have of course had many submissions, including textures from Espi, Nick Baker, Fredrik,Isle, AirRaid, Lazer, Meat_Head and mmnpsrsoskl.We have alsoreceived our first complete level - MAP07 by Tarin. We hope tosee more levels soon.
On the sprites front, Lüt contributed the ruby gun from DoomMillenium. We also now have replacements for the rocket sprites(from Ebola's Hyena TC) and the Berserk Pack (from mmnpsrsoskl).Several people also submitted musics and sounds, particularlycsabo, Nick Baker and Draconio. We now have quite a lot of replacement musics, some of which are not currently being builtin because they have not yet been converted into .mus format.
Thanks to everyone who has contributed over the past week. If Ididnt mention you, dont take it personally, I'm trying to makethis concise :). More information is available inthe Freedoom ChangeLog.

I like kittens

I'm doing map25 and it will be saucy. But get a TANROCK5 replacement already, damn you!

Guest deathwarrior

neat. when did ling decide this?

Guest The Gemini

sorry but this sounds like a really stupid idea... u probably got 50 gothic flats now, 50 flats from looney toons and the rest is quake-like flats right..

Guest The Gemini

no. anyway, sounds something like prowers 'the wad', everybody were so eager to join it but after a while it was cancelled cause everybody quit after the hype was over... a wad that depends on like 20 other people isnt likely to be finished.. maybe 5 years ago..

how about you take a look at the damn thing instead of bitching about what you assume?

(sorry about the double post)

Guest The Gemini

fyrestorm shut the fuck up...

* Linguica tries to figure out if that was an insulting post... I THINK it was... yeah, you insulted my major and called Fraggle a name, so yeah it was an insult. Your streak continues.

Guest deathwarrior

god you suck.

How legal is this?, if your "recreating" the levels how different from the originals do they have to be for id not to 'Fox' it?

While the new textures/flats) are recreations of the originals (they have to be, really), the new levels AREN'T going to be recreations of the originals.

They are supposed to be more along the lines of "inspired by...". Check out the complete map07 to see what I mean.

You are correct you can do whatever you want with the source code.

But where you're wrong is that the .wads are not part of the source code, so you can NOT do whatever you want with the levels, graphics, sprites sounds, music, etc contained in them.

The materials in the Wad files are copyrighted. They are something called IP, Intellectual Property. Modification and release of the IP would result in foxing. Recreating too closely could also result in violation of the IP.

Carmack was consulted before any work began. He set forth some guidelines which have been delineated in the FreeDoom pages. Read them.

Yeah my bad... I mistakened. The .wads can't be re-done because of the copywright laws unless you comfront them and get proof to let you do modifications as such and work with the copywright's which sometimes can cost a small fee.

Regarding Oblivion Doom III... I doubt we will need the source code. Were not changing the game astronomically. Were adding new monsters, weapons, levels and sets of new textures but it will still be built off the same foundation. Just like most other TC's even thoe it's not really a "Total" TC. It will just resemble games like Counterstrike and Gunman for Half-Life. Plus, Carmack said the editor will be part of the game engine and that's what were counting on. Best regards