Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Julian

Have You Ever Talked To A Switch?

Heh, that reminds me of those telepathy panels or whatever those were in the dungeons of SNES Zelda.

Guest Fanatic

That is a kick ass idea. :) I might borrow that, to some extent.

I have some ideas on using RTS and graphic usage for something similar too (special pickup items, for example, that show on the screen versus in the status bar, for spells or othew new things).

Guest Oniko

Okay, so after SIX YEARS, we're finally able to talk to dwarves in Doom? What the fuck took so long?

Guest j00 equals ded

took us SIX... count the years everybody... 1... 2... 3... 4... 5... 6... yes, six years...

the least you could be able to do is have 3d floors... no i mena true 3d not that half assed stuff in what ever source port (there is not only legacy but another as well, i think its edge)

Guest j00 equals ded

and what a great engine it is, to be able to play at 640x480 in software mode

I think the point of the Eternity Engine escapes you. My philosophy in adding features is one that preserves game play first, compatibility second, and novelty third.

If you want 3d floors and GL graphics, then use zdoom. That's what its for, to give fans of more recent FPS games a taste of some more modern features in a DOOM engine. Eternity is about giving those of us who've been around for the last five years the kind of basic formula enhancements that we always dreamed about when they weren't possible.

Dialogue may have been on the drawing board as early as three years ago (not six, Eternity TC has only been a project for four years :P ), but I certainly did not have the coding skills until as of late. I DID spend an honest half of a year trying to devise a working system. It is NOT a trivial design, and the end result is a very powerful and flexible commercial console-game style dialogue system. I'm very pleased with it.

Guest j00 equals ded

if i want graphics i use jdoom, which is what i use

people tend to like games that dont like like they are 7 years old... thats where jdoom comes in, and still has a lot of great features to boot.

Guest Busted Corpse

um..

"If you want 3d floors and GL graphics use Zdoom"

um...Zdoom doesnt do either. :(

Eternity is fantastic, I especially loved the intro room from smmu... but then I found mysellf missing things... like autorun :(

Personally I think dialogue is more of a major change to Doom than slopes or 3D floors.

After all, the latter don't really affect gameplay, whereas the former is a pretty radical alteration to it.

Some people still like DOOM for what it was, and don't require it to look like a watered down version of Quake II to play it. This is why there are multiple source ports, not one project. No port is ever going to make everyone happy, but rest assured the Eternity Engine does obviously have some fans. Not that its popularity is that much of a concern to me; I do this because I enjoy it ^_^

I suppose you are right, but when a project does not make use of the system, it is totally transparent. In fact its never even initialized if a script never calls the startdialogue function. Since it doesn't disturb the play mechanics of a normal game of DOOM, it fits well into my design criteria.

I find the best way to make something people like is to make something that you yourself like.

Sounds like you have the same philosophy :)

Guest Busted Corpse

ah.... capslock

sorry