Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
fraggle

Freedoom Update

Fraggle here with your weekly Freedoom update.
This week has been a fairly busy week, with quite a few textures submitted.Special thanks go to Nick Baker, Meat Head, mmnpsrsoskl, and the everpresent Espi, who all contributed textures over the past week. Welcomeis in order for Nrkn, who has just joined and submitted his first texturesthis week. Our total for wall textures now stands at 68%.
We had our second completed level submitted this week, Amarandesreplacement for Map21. You can check out his level in freedoom_levels.wad on the Freedoom site. Amarande is now workingon Map29.
We had several new musics added into the wads this week. Of particular note is picklehammer, who submitted 10 original midis for the Freedoomeffort. Several others which had already submitted but held back becausethey needed to be converted to the doom midi format were also added in.We now have over 18 original midis, all of which are free for reuse :).
Be sure to check out the latest wad. See you next week!

Gawsh, Freedoom just keeps getting better every day. Unfortunately, my mad Doom skillz suck, and so I find level 21 to be most difficult. Perhaps I should be getting a little extra practice in? I likes the music though, and I'm willing to bet that Freedoom is going to be at least as good as the original, maybe even a little better. I don't mean to belittle Doom or anything, but really, with all the talent being poured into this, it will be kind of hard not to be completely awesome.

Does anyone else particularly like the title and intermission midis that picklehammer made? Too bad you only hear the first 15 seconds of the title midi. It's actually 2 minutes long.

Cool name, I think I will call my baby mmnpsrsoskl

How cruel. To think that kids make enough trouble if you're called Bartolomaeus Christiaan Beldt McSwithinbotham. :*)

Bartholomew Simpson. aka Bart. :p

BTW those snorling sounds in Freedoom, that comes from the possed, I think. Sounds more like someone snorting some coke. Or mukus.

I dl'd freedoom.wad yesterday. The file I got was called freedoom.wad.gz

WinRAR tried to open it and reported it as a corrupt archive.

I simply tried renaming it to freedoom.wad and it worked fine. (Looking good too.)

Why the .gz extension?

I suppose you use Internet Explorer.
It seems this software uncompress the gzip while downloading it but 'forgets' to remove the .gz extension. It even adds another .gz sometimes!
If I say Microsoft, does that make things clear?

* Julian spanks

That would explain why the file apparently continued to download for a while after IE was reporting 100% complete.

Thanks, another mystery cleared up.

I don't like the way IE handles .gz files. It's much faster to download the .gz file and then uncompress it "by hand" than let IE do it on-the-fly.