Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
talkingheadssms

Classic Feeling Lost

Xzyl said:

I can't say I will miss the face. It had its purpose way back when especialy for people like me who did not have sound cards. Once I did have one I never payed attention to it again. What kills me a lot is forgetting to check my ammo and running out in the middle of a fight. Is that the developers fault, of course not its mine for not looking at the gauge that was provided for me. As far as an image based health indicator goes I would go with a body silhouette like the one in Deus Ex. It not only let you know how much damage you have racked up but where your being hit as well. But I don't have a problem with just a number gauge either. Although it would be nice if the maker of an FPS would take a cue from strategy games and color code your health status: 100%-75% green, 74%-26% yellow, 25% and under red. Maybe add invert flashing when your down to 10%.

Well, suddenly running out of ammo with no warning is realistic enough - modern weapons don't provide a certain sensation when you're getting low on ammo. I agree with AndrewB, the face was like a substitute for the pain sensation a wounded soldier feels in real life - it helped immerse me more into Doom and Wolf3d than in Quake 2 or RtCW.
Besides, if there was a face in the display in Doom 3 (which I can't imagine there'll be), I'd be surprised if there wasn't an option to remove the face (and limit the display further) through resizing the window further.

I can't see why id would burden the already hard-working Fred Nilsson with peeking animation for a face which more than half of the people out there don't give a shit about, but I would be overjoyed if they did provide the face somehow. (maybe they'll provide the old Doomguy face with animation as an easter egg - in that case, I'd play with it turned on I think).

Well, running out of ammo unexpectedly usually occurs when you're either not concentrating, or more likely, you're too focused on something else (giant demon wanting to rip your heart out perhaps?). It happens in all games, all you can do is try and not to get too target-orientated.

As for the face, sound effects in Doom 3 (I hope that the grunt when you get hit has more variations or has something else entirely) will probably play a bigger part in taking damage. Your blood spraying outwards will be a big sign too :)

the face was like a substitute for the pain sensation

Heh, the new doom game should inflict PAIN on the user. Two nipple-clamp electodes should be attached to the USB port on your computer and every time you get shot the computer applys a small eletric charge in your direction.

ShapeShifter said:

Actually somebody reported a face being there behind the closed doors presentation.

Then why wasn't it on the leaked video?

dsm said:

Then why wasn't it on the leaked video?

Because he's talking about the 4-minute presentation, i think.

Huh ? What 4 minute presentation ?

Anyway I think 'somebody' was talking about the marine's face as seen in the cutscene as he exits the elevator.