Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #54

There are five new WAD files this week, investigated as always in our newest edition of the new things found in Newstuff.

• Terrere 02 by Wim Vanrie - A very spooky map for Doom 2. Small and compact, yet complex. This is a very dark dungeon-style map, with lots of great challenges, especially on skill 4. It may seem unplayably difficult, but it's manageable if you use the right strategies. Lots of very nice detail, a great atmosphere. Here's a hint; once you release the Pain Elementals, go directly to the room with the yellow key, but don't get too close to one of the torches. There is also a very nice brand new music replacement.
  • Dead Simple: Revisited by Wim Vanrie - One map for Doom 2, running on Map07. As you could guess, it has a similar design to Map07 of Doom 2. Lots of brown and metal. This map is much more cramped, however. The Mancubi smother you almost immediately, and the Arachnotrons will have you surrounded. Surviving would be quite a challenge in this map. Still, it looks rather pleasant. Enhanced DOOM port recommended.
  • Laitos by Espi - A very well done Episode 1 style map for Ultimate DOOM, running on E1M1. This map seems to have a strange resemblance to pretty much every map in E1 of DOOM. A white concrete map, with some green and yellow thrown in. A pleasant variety of areas. Hallways, rooms, containment areas, and some E1M3-style skylights. It's also a great challenge of a map. Not too difficult, but right about on par with Episode 1. Music from E1M5 is used.
  • Skroom by Josef Griffiths - Six deathmatch maps for Doom 2. Not much detail in these maps. Mostly basic shapes with one basic area for each map. A variety of indoor and outdoor areas. Lots of ammunition is provided throughout most of the maps. Some music from Ultimate DOOM is used.
  • 3-Tech by Virgil - One single-player map for Doom 2, running on Map16. This map has a strange variety of textures. Outdoor, tech base, metal, and a lot of darkness is the basic theme. The map is quite a challenge, with a swarm of monsters often keeping you on your toes. Just about the right amount of ammo is provided, so the map can be a fun challenge, if you use the save feature often. Lots of monsters that pop up on you, and a few bosses. Some interesting designs, both in the map design and decor aspect. Enhanced DOOM port required.

Guest The Gemini

what do u mean by 'port recommended'? does it require one or not?

Recommended means you COULD use it in Doom2.exe, but it's probably best to use a port to be sure you don't get that visplane overflow, or maybe even just a HOM effect from too many textures in view.

Now what do you mean by 'not much detail'?
I put as much detail in there as needed...
Me needs to make something extra special now... god damnit screw this I'm going for a complete episode replacement. In the meantime, someone else test skroom and give me second opinion?
<font size=1><samp>store up the ideas and make a big thing...</samp></font>

Guest The Gemini

andrew ok..

what server is #doom on again?

Don't listen to the comments on "detail". People are obsessed with detail. DOOM's character isn't about detail and it takes away from the doom character, trying to make it something it's not. id levels had the perfect amount of detail.

I'm off to download Skroom now... because the other four are so good.
Wim's maps are definitely worth your time.
Laitos is an exact copy of Espi's e1contest map -- which was by far the best map in that contest, IMO. (not overly e1 styled, so perhaps it didn't deserve to win the contest, but clearly the best map)
I wish Virgil released demos for all his maps -- He has an interesting and impressive play style; very loose and in constant motion -- must use a joystick.
and 3-Tech is Boom-compatible only, btw...

This level absolutely kicks ass. The architecture rivaled that of the original episode 1 if not better. How everything was connected and the size of the rooms was just so well done. This level really has character and atmosphere. I especially loved the beginning area. Had the areas that were all one shade of brown been better textured, and had there been no baron, this level would have been the ultimate and perfect DOOM level. The containment area also took away from the brilliantly executed and successful remake of e1 style that was the beginning of the level. But even so, this is one of the most satisfying e1 style levels I've played, if not the most. I hope you plan to make more e1 style levels, ESPI!

If I can make some suggestions on how to make even more E1. Have slime pits with the browngrn and sladwall texture. Try to mimmick id's texturing, especially where you just used brown; that really stifled the great atmosphere you had going in the beginning of the level, although the architecture throughout the level was brilliant and had a consistency of quality rarely seen in other maps. I really hope you do some more E1 style maps. Again, if you mimmicked e1 more and really sutck to things that would only be found in e1, then you would have finally, in my view, fully recaptured the e1 magic. Because no e1 wads have fully managed to do this IMO. This level almost did. Really, it did. Except for the containment area and the "vanilla" roooms that were all one shade of brown, you hit the nail on the head.

Guest Virgil_

In case you're wondering, I DO NOT use joystick dammit. I HATE joysticks. I use optical mouse + keyboard with the mouse sensitivity being maxed out.

Oh yeah: sorry for killing the cybo with a bfg on that last area. I usually kill them with a RL/SSG or lower, but I was too lazy :)

Virgil

I shouldn't say too much or Gemini will attack me again, but Laitos was not at all anything special. All I see in it is bright bright grey rooms with stairs in...

"All I see in it is bright bright grey rooms with stairs in... "

Play it. With monsters in it. Maybe then it's merits will become more clear to you.

I'm using the little restraint I have right now while I make this post.

If your going to say something negative at least say it constructively. See Hellbent's post if you want a good example of uses of constructive critisms. Try and make suggestions, because just slamming a map ("not at all anything special") is not very tactful nor helpful.

Otherwise stfu.

Saying a map isn't "something special" is far cry from saying it's crap though, isn't it?

Uhm..

moo

You guys convinced me. I'm downloading all of them now. Hopefully I'll play them aswell.

Now I've played them.. except laitos.. it was for Doom 1 and .. long story.. i'll play it later.

Terrer2 looked sexy..

This map is damn cool, great looks together with nice gameplay. Monster/ammo/health placement is just perfect, looks like the author has spent lots of time tuning the gameplay (pretty rare that, these days).
Challenging as well as fun to play.

Best map I played in quite a while...

I'm completely agreed with Adam. So that's why 3- Tech.wad was the first wad I downloaded off.

3-Tech is a very good looking map. Really good large scale architecture and 3d bridge stuff. However, I didn't care for the fact that half the enemies were set to silently teleport in, appearing suddenly out of thin air. Not a fun or imaginative trap setup imho :| Good for speed runs and such after you know what's what and all I guess. Not so great for a fun first play experience...