Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Julian

Null But Not Void Screenshots

The screen shot from Null Space (posted a few days ago in my Doom2 section) seems to have sparked a fair ammount of interest and I have received several requests for more (some ppl really need to get out more)!

Fish can't help but feel that was directed towards him, seeing as he sent Russell a one page email based around one screenshot he posted. heh

heh,

actually it wasn't directed at you, but maybe you should get out more anyway ;-)

sorry, i've been meaning to reply to your mail, but just haven't had the time. I'll try and get around to replying in the next day or two

actually it wasn't directed at you, but maybe you should get out more anyway ;-)

You sound like you know where all the hot parties are...clue me in...and I'll be there! =D

sorry, i've been meaning to reply to your mail, but just haven't had the time. I'll try and get around to replying in the next day or two

Oh, good to hear that. Being impatient and all I thought you were not going to reply...Being a wad designer myself I could eat up every bit of feedback someone sent me..

Whats so special about 'getting out'? Its much better here.

I love your work, its inspiring stuff, keep it up and stop spending so much time outside enjoying yourself, thats just selfish.

Lots of wood textures and loads of like you said "null space"

Boooring! What exactly are we supposed to be getting from these screenshots? Maybe I'm missing it.

Hi NightFang, we miss you and your hard Avatar over at newdoom.

I think the wood/null space levels look really smart, Im messing around with null space looking levels too, but with a more spacey look. Shameless plug over.

Yeah I know riddles don't work that well. Anyways, like Ebola said Russell did a sort of prerelease of Nullspace called "deleted" that was sweet. Excellent texture usage and some cool detail areas.

Seems as if your not a big fan of wood textures?

What exactly are we supposed to be getting from these screenshots? Maybe I'm missing it.

No, don't think your missing a thing. I originally put up these shot because some old friends of mine liked the orignal screenie and wanted to see some more. That's the only purpose these shots serve.

In general i guess screen shots are there to provide people with a preview of a level. I think these shots achieve that. There arn't many monsters in the level yet, just a few i threw in to test out interaction with the architecture. As a result there were only a couple of 'action' shots. I mainly posted shots that displayed some of what i thought to be the more interesting examples of texture use (i must admit i've become a bit of a texture alignment junkie recently).

I can see how ppl might consider the repeated wood/stone theme in the level, but thats the route i decided to take.

Heh, there's always room for improvement :-)

damn, i should learn to think and type at the same time. Let me finish that penultimate sentence.....

I can see how ppl might consider the repeated wood/stone theme in the level to be boring, but thats the route i decided to take.

that's better, now i need to work on my spelling.....

Its always about the texture use. Honestly, those shots ya know, look nice and all but does not make me excited about your project and the same applies to I would say a good part of the people here reading this.

We want action! Fun! Thats why we download and play levels. No one downloads a map to see texture alignment...thats really dull.

Add something fun and exciting that will entertain us and then you'll get the hype for your level that you deserve!

Some level designers takes s-shots without monsters to save the suprise (or perhaps because they don't have any monsters yet). Imagine though a swarm of cacos rising out of the darkness and you've got to battle them in the middle of the void. Kill em with your chaingun/RL and watch em fall back into the void. sweet

if you read the comments on the main page of my site you'll see that I have no interest whatsoever in hype.

Try my new level 'mystic2' at my Doom 3D page or at Doom Heaven, its just like you describe. It will be in the newstuff by the end of the week if ftp.cdrom is working again.

Yea! if your submitting somthing to Dws or any other important place like that then make it look good. But you konw what we want? BLOOD! GORE! CARNAGE! Sure, texture alighnments are nice, but I can have an assload of fun playing some five sector, super hard level that a 6 year old made. But if you didn't align textures and all that crap, you'd get alot of critisism...