Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

Archive Situation At CDROM.COM

Guest billyjoejimbob

The /idgames directory is probably actually costing cdrom.com money to maintain. The bandwidth that's used up by people downloading stuff from there is probably fairly large, and bandwidth isn't free. We should probably be thrilled that cdrom.com maintained the archive for as long as they did.

Guest Virgil_

Well, then, Mr. Bill Dickson. Thank you very much for warning us ahead of time (NOT!).

With all you communication technology, it is sad that you still cannot communicate with others.

Virgil

Guest Archangel99

Idgames is a part of Id's history and has been there ever since I started playing doom. It is a monument to all of the support and backing the fans have of doom and Id. If it goes, I'm gonna be pissed!

-3D? Yup I can do that!-

...to see that we can still try to pull together to protect this common legacy of ours. I was concerned of the permanence of this lockout as soon as I had heard about it closing again. My mad ravings on IRC are part of what motivated arioch to download the entire archive -- which I'd also do myself if I had the bandwidth and disk space.

Applause to Ty and Frans for anticipating this and for trying to find a new place. They could have just thrown down the torch so to speak and let it die, but these guys are dedicated.

How about moving the entire archives to ftp.idsoftware.com? Sure, it's slower, but at least it seems appropriate, does it not? I'm sure id wouldn't mind.

-Dan

Guest Zeurkous

Misschien kun je wat met XS4ALL regelen?

De Zeurkous
-----------

Friggin' Machines!

Guest Zeurkous

Seriously: Why not start with a IDF, an International DooM Fund?

De Zeurkous
-----------

Friggin' Machines!

Guest LucyInTheSkyWith

i gonna kick some ass if /idgames doesn't come back

Guest blackaciddevil01

I hope its up again soon myself!! This craps makes it harder on all of us.

Guest Virgil_

I can still remember sitting at my computer on ftp.cdrom.com, browsing through all those thousands of levels. Looking at text files and downloading... Finding the gems one by one and seeing that my unending thirst for new levels will never be denied. I wish to friggin' HELL they'd reconsider re-instating /idgames once more.. I still had more than half of all the levels to browse through. In all the 5 years I played DOOM, I never did finish browsing through the entire /idgames.. *sighs* Is there really nothing SACRED on Earth?! Is EVERYTHING for sale, as I suspected?

*Virgil has only received 10 hours of sleep in the last 2 days due to some 'mental' issues...*

Virgil

I warned you guys this was coming, and damned if I wasn't right on for the timing too... but no one believed me!

But I am *thrilled* that Ty and crew are working on a replacement. If anyone can make it go, and keep it going, it's Ty and his trusty band.

(Please ghod, let it be real FTP, or at least plain HTTP with a banner ad if necessary, and not some hideous almost-unusable kludge like 3DDownloads!!)

Meanwhile, what about the mirrors? <looking> Erk! The AOL mirror is evidently gone. Has anyone checked the others?

Guest Zeurkous

I believed you,and i thought of that myself, too.

De Zeurkous
-----------

Friggin' Machines!

The AOL mirror is still working, for me at least. However if the last time cdrom.com is down is anything to go by, we will lose mirrors the longer this goes on for. <font size=1><samp>[url="ftp://mirrors.aol.com/pub/pc_games/doom/</samp]</font>">ftp://mirrors.aol.com/pub/pc_games/doom/</samp></font>[/url]

There will always be new Doomers because the game is definitive.I've corrupted several people with it recently and they just can't leave it alone,heh-heh!!