Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

Collector's Doom Out

We've gotten word that people have started spotting Collector's Doom in software stores around the country. If you don't know, Collector's Doom is a compilation of The Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom all in one package, and retails for about $19.99. Here's a an Amazon page for it if you're too lazy to go down to the store. Sadly, there are no extras on the CD aside from the manuals in PDF format for each game -- a missed opportunity in my book, as Activision could have very easily included any or all of the GPLed source ports on the disk. Still, if you haven't been able to find one or more of the Doom games legit, this is your chance.

I still think they should've contracted someone like TeamTNT to make another Iwad.
cost of project: minimal.
return: minimal (but more than they put in)

I guess we should be happy they re-released it at all. to some people that will be a new game on the shelves. :)

I made a post in the forums that no credit was given to Team TNT on Final DOOM. Oh, and Ling forgot to mention that Acrobat Reader 5.0 comes with it.

Wow. It comes with Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0? Alright, I'm running out and buying that thing right now, why didn't you tell me sooner? In all seriousness, I like the gesture, but it would have been a LOT nicer if they had included at least SOMETHING new. On the plus side, you do get every Doom game ever made for only $20 if you don't have them already, which in my opinion is a wonderful bargain (considering that I got Doom II as a birthday present back when it was $45, lost the disks and replaced them with the CD from Wal-Mart for $10, broke that CD and replaced it for another $10, and finally lost that CD, for a grand total of $65 spent on Doom II alone). I might just get it, if for nothing else than the sheer joy of having the entire Doom collection in one box. Besides, that install screen does look pretty sweet.

There were two commercial projects like that, Strife and Hacx, and neither did any good commercially because no one showed any support. It'd be the exact same story if it was done today.

They could have literally put anything new/old/extra/unreleased,even a single level, to make the thing more collectable and desireable.Ultra-violence?Ultra-lazy!

Baaah, I would gladly buy this new Collection, but once again I have to learn that I live at the wrong end of the world, because its (of course) forbidden in TEACHER´S REPUBLIC OF GERMANY and so I have to look out for that set in the USA (whithout having a credit card :/). Or maybe I should buy this Collector´s Doom in North Korea - a land maybe more free than Germany. Same for the GBA Doom - :::sigh:::

I wonder who the target consumer is? People who've been with DooM since the beginning or even over the past few years probably already own all the games in the set. Newer gamers are hardly likely to shell out bucks for an aging game. Collectors? Who the heck are collectors? That leaves exactly how many people that will buy the box?

Oh man, do I ever feel sorry for you, and I thought the U.S. was strict, especially with Bush in office. (Damn conservative republican)

That only strengthens my point. Strife was more or less an entire new game and still didn't sell.

Frig. How hard would it have been to include a bunch of gpl source ports? (They could prolly even have gotten away with ZDoom too.). How hard would it have been scrounge up a bunch of extras like user made wads, utils and stuff? How friggin hard would it have been to fill up the cd? There would still not be anything new really but at least anyone buying the damned thing would be up to date with the best the game had to offer :P

Guest Madguy

Does anyone know if this package includes Doom 95, the official SVGA Windows port of Doom? They should've at least included that, because I doubt too many people today are going to know how to configure sound cards and stuff in DOS.

It would've been nice to see ports like ZDOOM or JDOOM included, but then there'd probably be legal issues and the authors of the ports might want part of the profits or something.

Guest Madguy

Oh yeah, and does this package include a physical manual? I kind of doubt it, but still, just wondering...

There are lots of people out there who want Doom or a version they are missing. I get emails from them all the time and they sometimes post on the messageboards.

There are also a lot of collectors, Im one, I collect games software, all kinds including emulators.

So, it doesn't even contain the Master Levels?
Kind of an incomplete collection, is it not?

I would have liked to see them wait for zDoom 1.23 to come out of beta, and throw in a few levels made by the masters at id Software, and perhaps a few from Brandon James, using the latest features available in zDoom...

Aw yah... *drool*

-Dan

Guest Bluntman

Re-Releasing these games b4 the upcoming DooM3 is an awesome idea. Its a great way to build up a market, or simply a way for some gaming newcomers to catch up on whats to come. In addition, it puts all the major iwads on the shelf once again. I've only bought one DooM iwad(doom2).. and I own them all. Why? 'cause digging through the bargin bins at eb or babbages isn't exactly my idea of the perfect sunday afternoon.

Releasing source-ports or and additional pwads would have been a 'nightmare' for id to have to provide support for.. just think about all the posts in the dw forums concerning the different ports and for all the different platforms... id would truly be in hell then.

So take it for what it is. All the licensed doom games in one box for 20 bucks. Its not like there going to make a killing of this one, probably lose money in distrubution costs more than likly.

Guest Matt

Final Doom uses Doom95.

Guest NunoC

Doom95 is teh suck. They should've put a port in that.

"Still, if you haven't been able to find one or more of the Doom games legit, this is your chance."

Yeah, I bet people are well gutted about downloading doom for free in the past! Yeah, RIGHT!

And now we have freedoom, which is coming on very fast...