Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ultimate Demon

Will Idsoftware use Polybump?

I mean for those that have Geforce2 cards for an example. It would make the game run more smooth and make those that have crappy graphics card happy in a sort of way. But still those who have Geforce3 or Geforce4 cards will get much better graphics

Just go buy a new card and some more memory, if its worth it. if you have an older system, start saving for a new one. doom doesnt come out for a while, so u have time. ;)

Polybump (if your talking about that new software package) was probably inspired by Doom3's technology. It's the same exact principle that drives Doom3's bump-mapping graphics. Using Polybump or Doom3's "render-bump" results in the same thing-- a bump map that takes 4-6 passes to work with on a GF2, and 2-3 passes to work with on a GF3.

It's interesting that, because of the enormous effort and time needed to produce art for next gen games like Doom3, alot of the technology the game uses will be "copied" and out for public use before the game. For instance, I've been toying with the idea of using Carmacks (?) new technique for my own stuff. I'm sure there are much more capable programmers out there that could whip up a game using this technique, and have it in our hands before Doom3 hits the shelves. It's almost kind of scary that the "Doom3 Effect" could be watered down by other lesser games beating id to the shelves.

I think we should give "Polybump" the benefit of the doubt, however, and say that they have a good, original product. Generating bumpmaps from actual model data is just a logical way to do things, and if Carmack didn't do it, someone else would be bound to. I guess, like BSP trees, Carmack was the first person to actually make it work, and wow us with a game that uses it.

I'm waiting untill Doom hits store shelves before I go about upgrading my computer. That way, I know exactly what I need for it.