Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arioch

Another Doom GBA Interview

GBA Zone has posted an interview they conducted with David A. Palmer Productions, the programming team behind the conversion of Doom to the Game Boy Advance. This interview has 2 pages of text followed by 28 never-before-seen screen captures from the GBA port of Doom.

• Doom GBA is based on Jaguar Doom code.
  • Framerate is expected to be around 15-30fps.
  • There is no single-cart multiplayer mode, due to the large quantities of data that would have to be transferred.
  • Control methods can be chosen from a configuration menu.
  • There will be 28(?) maps and 8 deathmatch-specific maps.
For the entire interview, along with a list of the members of the team and those 28 screenshots, check the interview here. Thanks go to Jason Dyer for pointing this out.

Guest gems

werent there supposed to be people from the doom community making the levels? didnt see any 'familiar' names anyway.. looks just like regular doom..nice grafx...

Ummmmmm, I was expecting this game to be regular DOOM.

Anyway.....SUITABLE?????? WTF IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?????

The doom community was asked to make levels for another fps that's coming out for the GBA - the name eludes me right now.

-Dan

>> However, in hospital (Der Krankenhausen) in Germany, I played Doom AGB - what else?

Hmm. No wonder there's so much green blood around! Sounds like they could be based in Germany the home of 'bastardised' gaming.

Guest Mizzory

I noticed that in ever screen shot there is always the same lighting level...That kinda sucks. But I heard that you can plug a GBA into the Gamecube. And I also heard the Gamecube can reach the internet, maybe there can be a multiplayer over the internet and GBA doom TCs and mods and more levels... Although I'm not sure they thought about it so it might not be possible.

Yes, doesn't sound all that great... No Cyberdemon/Mastermind? How can it be complete? Bastardizing, indeed.

I blame the return of swing music.

It's a straight port of the Jaguar code/game.
These guys weren't present in that version of Doom.

Guest DooMetallicA

I WANT THE JAGUAR VERSION :*(

I'll bet the PC version of DOOM could be scaled down to run on a GBA effectively, without any of the green blood BS, missing monsters, weird-ass levels, or any of that stuff.

Why the heck did they choose to port the Jaguar version? I remember Jaguar as being one of the sadder consoles to hit the young 32-bit console market (and yes, it was 32-bit, not 64-bit).

Not to start a flamewar, but the Jaguar really was a 64-bit console - at least it wasn't like the 32X (two 16-bit chips do not a 32-bit console make). The Jaguar's hardware, for the time, was awesome - go read up on it. It's an interesting story.

Oh, I could have sworn it used two 32-bit coprocessors and only had a 16-bit VMU, but then you're usually more up on the hardware than I am, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt until I know better :->

I dunno much about the Jaguar other than that it had nothing I was personally interested in, didn't look much better than an SNES in terms of the shots I saw, and it wasn't very long-lived so I must not be the only one that was under-impressed. That's not to say there wasn't anything cool on it or about it. All consoles have their gems ::hugs his dreamcast::

When I saw the screenies of the Jaguar DOOM, at the time they were the most fucking awesome shots I have seen. Then again, that was awhile back before I played PC DOOM.

Doom GBA is based on Jaguar Doom code.

Sounds to me like they'll be spider and goat legged sweetness to me seeing as how they just used the code. I didn't read the actual interview though.