Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arioch

Maonth Interview

Bigdog has posted another 1-on-1 IRC interview at Doom Center. This latest interview is with Maonth, team leader of the RTC-3057 project, who has his hand in various other projects such as Tomi Rajala's Raynor's Tale and Hell Revealed 2. The interview can be found here and also includes a few shots of Maonth's work in Q3A.

Guest gems

i can understand that people dont wanna give away every detail about a doom project for example but that interview was useless and just annoying..

Nah. I'm with Gem. It wasn't exactly any revealing information you got there. it was basicly the same stuff that's in pretty much any game/addon that deals with armageddon as a result..

<Maonth> ...The human race is a big threat to itself...

So what else is new?

ebola: Yes. GAME. But this is an add-on for DOOM. There's a handful of new stuff revealed in that interview.

For you who obviously didn't read (heh), here's a part from it:

<Maonth> We plan to use the scripted goodness of ZDOOM. Also, we're coding a "log" into ZDOOM. It will work so you can receive messages throughout the level. There will also be mission objectives you will have to do.

<bigd> Speaking of ZDoom and 'goodness,' Randy Heit has postponed the release of ZDoom v1.23 to add a new feature - Video playback. It's been said that you suggested this to Randy... will you make use of this feature in RTC-3057? If so, in what ways, and can you give an example?

<Maonth> I can't really tell ATM. It would be a nice feature for sure, but it'd also requier a very skilled animator and those are hard to get to.

<bigd> Are you planning to add anything to the ZDoom engine specifically for RTC-3057?

<Maonth> We have discussed several features such as: friendly AI, new additional nonreplacing weapons ETC.

<bigd> Friendly AI sounds interesting... are NPCs planned in the project?

<Maonth> yes

Fredrik: Er.. well you call that news? Tell us something that we don't already know.. Those features aren't really unique..

The only new thing included there is that there's a SLIM possability for mpegs to be included..

Guest gems

fredrik
yeah..? the line about friendly ai and new weapons, and scripting? was that it?

maonth
im just sayin why cant u reveal anything? 'i cant really say', 'youll see, HEHEHE', 'blabla :PPPPPPP', its just a doom project u know.. no ones gonna sue u..

I think you kinda missed the point also of these 1-on-1 IRC interviews. If I understood bigd right, the purpose is to get a quick, authentic chat with a doomer.

Guest gems

by the way ebola since youre here, CHECK YOUR MAIL, look for a mail from me with a attachment file. u wanna finish it? its either too big for dck to handle or its just buggin so i cant get to edit.. if youre gonna work on it/just check it out let me know and ill mail the texture wad..u also need batman doom by the way..heh

Guest gems

so, admit that u were wrong then fredrik..heh

Btw, Ebola. You shouldn't complain one word, your average Unholy updates say less than the background on the page...

Ebola: It is news. I didn't make a press conference, did I? I just answered bigd's questions.

gems: Yes. It's just a DOOM add-on. But if we have it your way, I could just give away the ending, the story, all the details and you would get something you already knew.

Getting messages throughout the levels isn't new.. and 70% of the questions were answered. "Can't answer that."

Can't get to the Doom Center pages, not for a while now. As usuall this argument is probably better than what I'm missing...

Yeah, well I just dont see why people really think they need to cover stuff up... I mean, id Software can't say stuff because they have _thousands_ of people watching their every move and release... and they're commercial. Now, a small team working on a project that might be played by a few hundred people, I don't see why all the questions can't be answered... but what do I know? :)

Either way, I still think it was a good interview... some new stuff was revealed, but that's not really the point of these (as Fred said). It's just to catch up with what Doomers have been up to I guess.

allright. I'll tell you that i'll do. I'll put up the entire story of the project on the page and reveal everything so you have absolutely no surprice to uncover.

Guest gems

uh he didnt even mention the storyline so u know thats not what i meant................................................................................

Come on you guys! Do you know how hard it is to coordinate a large project like this? So Maonth left a few questions unanswered, so what? Part of the greatest satisfaction out of doing a project like this is the suspense of your followers and their surprise and reaction when they see the finished work. If I were still in that position, I wouldn't have said much more than Maonth. If you don't believe me, here is an interview I did with IcarusWeb in May of 2000: <a href="[url="http://www.doomworld.com/icarusweb/interview5.html">Interview"]http://www.doomworld.com/icarusweb/interview5.html">Interview[/url] of the Month</a>

Guest WadEd

Yeah, that's a real bright thing to do. Instead of going to the movie, read all about it from start to finish in text form. Oh, I know.. read all about Half-Life's engine features before it came out and not even bother playing it. Sound like fun??

Diddn't think so.. I don't see too many people bitching about John Carmack's lack of Doom3 info. Should be happy that you're getting anything at all.

* WadEd goes back to work.

Guest WadEd

Those Q3A shots look nice.

Guest gems

ok ill reason that..

waded
when u read all the features half life had, didnt u wanna play it? if not, why would u have a reason to play it if u hadnt read about its features? itd still be the same..

check my I made a poopie theres a line that goes 'i can understand that people dont wanna give away every detail about about a doom project for example......'

dont u usually read the text back of a movie before renting it? its there for a reason, it doesnt reveal everything but gives u an idea of what u can expect.. u dumb fucks

Guest WadEd

There is a key point you're missing, THE PROJECT ISN'T OUT YET. Therefor, there is no text for you to read on the back of the book. Secondly, who was asking you for your opinion. I wasn't talking to your sorry ass in the first place. Iv'e never even seen you around the doom community, or any well known projects you have made, if any. Or did you email everyone with you half made "work" and ask them to be finished because they're 'too big for DCK to handle'. Um.. riiight.. So if you can pull something off like this, be my guest.. otherwise stop waisting everyone's time with your mindless ramblings on how you think things should be done, obviously noone cares about your worthless opinions, or you for that matter. Your parents should have aborted you, it would make all our lives much less.. annoying.