Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

/idgames Glitch Hopefully Fixed

A couple of weeks ago, news got out that the /idgames archive of Doom-related files had found a new home at 3dgamers.com. Yesterday, I sent an e-mail to Ty Halderman, maintainer of the /idgames archive and big sausage at TeamTNT, asking why no new files have uploaded since then. Certainly, there are many Doomers anxious to upload their creations after weeks of having no place to upload them.
It turns out there was a permissions problem. Until I finally e-mailed him out of curiousity last night, he had received no complaints from anyone about this problem. Hopefully the problem is now fixed, and you should all be able to upload your Doom-related files to /incoming. And if you have any problems, for god's sake e-mail Ty about it. Don't just sit back and say "Oh, the problem will take care of itself." Because obviously, that may very well not be the case.

feedback's always nice, even criticisms as long as it's constructive

if there's a problem in anything I run I damn well would like to know about it

some reasons why people did not say anything

they
- are just to lazy to open the mailer
- say someone else will notice the "bug"
- have their own webspace
- dislike /newstuff chronicles
- want to keep AndrewB from working too hard
- do not what to write, how to write
- first need to get to in-span.net. It's something new.

All 5 releases of the Eternity Engine so far have generated only 4 or so bug reports by via IRC, and no bug reports via email, even though every single release has included pleas for bug reports. Over 300 people have downloaded each of the betas, so this is a pitifully small amount of reports.

People, if you want to see quality stuff in this community, you gotta do your parts. When people need bug reports or notice about messed up stuff like this, do it. If someone had reported to me as of beta 3 of EE that the time demo feature was broken, I wouldn't have just fixed it a week ago, I'd have fixed it 2 months ago!

Thanks for the tip, AndrewB. When the news was first announced a couple of weeks back I tried to upload something but I couldn't. This time it went through, despite the file being a hefty 4.3 MB.

Guest Big Al

Cool does that mean we are going to see NewStuff reviews again?

Happy happy happy, joy joy joy.
Now I just gotta hurry up and finish this new wad. This level has four big rooms with two teleporters in each, and two windows in two of them looking to the opposite room... yes I know it sounds simple but... mm moo.
Should I call this level Enzenicus or Enzemica? I can't make up my mind...
<font size=1><samp>Please don't tell me to call it a piece of shit :P</samp></font>

It is fixed, I just uploaded a couple of wads, nice and quick too.

I never complained about the earlier problems because I was just so grateful to Ty Halderman for doing this for us and figured there must be some teething problems.

So you guys really like people to complain about your stuff?

It will be nice to see the Newstuff Chronicles again, the last few weeks have been a bit boring here at doomworld.

the problem with eternity is one of usage and OS; why would anyone regularly use eternity? it's rare for anyone to just sit down and 'beta-test' an engine. most ppl wanting high res for doom or running boom pwads will use prboom; or if they want more features (like playing mp3s or 3d video) they'll use zdoom or legacy

if also heard rumors about prboom that features want to be added, so, in my opinion, it would be wise if eternity were merged with prboom (as long as you can still include the features you need for eternity.wad and prboom still runs all its standard stuff without problems). it would be healthy for both ports, if it's possible. it might take some compromise, but..

I'm not complaining about Eternity's usage; over 300 people have downloaded EACH of the beta releases. What I'm complaining about is the number of those people that then don't report any bugs they see, and with 300, somebody has been seeing some bugs, I can assure you.

As for a merger with prboom, I have been approached about it. I am not totally opposed to such an idea except that it means a probable loss of autonomy that I am really not ready to accept. I like the control I have over the direction of my port, and if every feature I wanted to add was going to be second guessed by 3 other coders, I would very quickly lose my will to work on it.

Eternity can and will be successful, especially after I have it running in windows. I will be using a large amount of prboom code to make that happen, so that would make a merger seem even more sensible. However, there's still a number of features Eternity has that prboom does not, and a number of prboom features that don't thrill me, especially the way in which it handles MIDI (writing to temp file? should be completely unnecessary).

Hey! The zip and text files I uploaded yesterday have disappeared from incoming, they're not in holding or newstuff, and there's no email. I checked the destination directories, and didn't see anything either. I don't remember doing anything to piss Ty off :)

not yesterday (today though). But I saw tons of stuff in incoming yesterday. I looked all over. but couldn't find any of it today.

The weird thing is that one of the wads that was uploaded yesterday (galley.zip & txt) is in holding, but no other files are there.

Hmm, in my browser window, there's nothing in holding... do you mean that it was there earlier? I guess I will have to upload my stuff again later when this works better...

Phuquer, my wads have vanished too. They were there yesterday, along with that galley.zip now its just galley.zip on its own again, maybe it eats other wads.

yeah, that galley.zip must be something spectacular if it can eat ALL other wads