Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Julian

Will EDGE Die?

Here is a worrying quote from Fanatic found in a forum thread, here, at Doomworld:

EDGE is pretty much done. I think everyone is tired/bored with it. We were down to one programmer who busted his ass just to get EDGE working well with the full QDOOM release, but neither of use have touched EDGE in a month or more.

Will EDGE die? Will a new coder join the team? Will a new project based on EDGE source be created? Only time will tell.

A computer program can die?

Exactly! No. Which is why we should be careful how much power and control we give our sub-human machine intelligences. Or there will be hell to pay.
I noticed that all the information about a person can be stored on a chip the size of a grain of rice. What does this chip run on? Why, none other than Lithium! And what keeps Lithium going? Temperature altercations. What spots on the body have changing temperature? The forehead, and the back of the wrist.
In biblical terms, the sign of the beast appears on the forehead and the back of the hand. Uh oh. ::twilight-zone music::

so in essence, edge can never die.

Great, the one engine you don't need a rocket science degree to script is going under. Please God no!

Guest Matt

Actually, if you look at that same thread, you'll notice that there have been requests by the Hellstorm team (well, specifically, ME) for people to come and help. What we'll end up with will probably be EDGE 1.27.

EDGE is terribly slow
Legacy lacks of features (hm. is prboom with 3dfloors/water and a minimum bit o' scriptin')

There will be EDGE 1.27. But that's likely going to be the last version of EDGE, at least by the current team.

Legacy lacks features. Hah that was a good one..

Now seriously. FS is superior to ACS so shaddap about that.

EDGE doesn't work anymore anyways. Whenever I try to run it I get some crap "missing language.something" and what not. That team must not be all that smart, they changed the program so it wouldn't work when a I didn't even change anything. A lot of Doom-based programs don't work, and I have had to virus a lot of people for pissing me off.

I think it's the user in your case. No program I know of (or have used) deliberately screwes up my pc or the program itself. I will admit that I have had a time with Doom source ports, but none so serious that it alters the program so that it doesn't run. For example: WHen ZDoomGL was the only port that supported MD2 models, I spent at least a week trying to get those md2 models to work. I finally got it working after asking a gazillion questions. Maybe you just need a new pc.

ACS and FraggleScript both lick.

*prepares for flamage

Frankly, going through the trouble to make something 2% of the DOOM population can use is utterly retarded.

Rellik: Both Fraggle Script and ACS is very easy to use.

Fraggle script however can be rather challenging when you wanna do really complex stuff with it. But the stuff I made in Phobia anyopne with a brain bigger than the size of a peanut can learn.

EDGE was pretty cool. It had some real innovations. But the bots never really gained much momentum, which bummed me out. I was really stoked about making dm mods & being able to play botmatches, but it never materialized. I wish I had been able to code & help out.

Theory about Maonth:

Once he took an IQ test at an early age and someone told him his score and it turned out to be quite high.
So he immediately assumed himself to be smarter than everyone else and from then on never learned a thing because he figured he's perfectly smart the way he is.

No, I think my theory that he doesn't even exist in the first place is more likely. He's some kid's invention to prey on those who like to argue.

Sorry, Maonth!!

I meant w@velength! Jeez, how did I get those two confused??????

That's a really cool idea about how computers can nearly die.
I've got an idea too.

What if we could store all information in our brain onto a brainwave recording device for safe keeping? Every conscious and subconscious thought every minute of every day for our entire lives can be kept on a miniature communication device about the size of your eyelash. Then you can hide it somewhere where no one will find it. Where is the least likely place people will look? In your underwear!
And how do you keep this eyelash-sized mechanism from breaking or getting saturated by small dust particles? Weapons-grade plutonium! It's as simple as that!
You can make plutonium in your own garage using simple household items. Be sure to keep a gun with you at all times in case someone questions your new hobby.
Then when your invention is complete, you can invent things just by downloading your ideas onto a CAD program. And all this for the low-low price of $14.95.

As you can see, w@velength, I stopped taking you seriously.

ebola/FS:

i.e. if I want to spawn a thing at a position, I need the exact map coordinates in FS, and if I then want to move some sectors? In ACS it's only the spawn node - and that moves (in WinDEU32) with the sector.

Guest orkface

out of wonder did you get that brain chip thingy idea from fear factory digimortal? because that sure as hell hasen't happend the human brain holds terrabytes of info if you rip open your computer you'll notice your ram is bigger than your fingers. you wouldn't be able to fit that much info on a chip that big.

no offence or anything.

oh yes Hirogen2 legacy kicks arse!

Guest orkface

hows this idea. we create human intelligence computers which seing that they can evolve quicker than humans. they realise that to dominate is to erase and that mankind is obsolet. human kind become an endangers species. the end.

hey break of the edge crusher man.

Apparently a new chip has been created that is as complex as the brain of a bumble-bee.

A chip capable of emulating the human brain can't be too many decades off...

Edge shouldn't die. It is the best port for TCs out there. Legacy is pants, always has been, but yet development continues on THAT?!
This world is fucked. I blame Capitolism.

Nah, Legacy doesn't lack features. It's just that most of the ones it does have don't work properly :)

I really need to step up my efforts on my Aliens TC, but I lack the time. Maybe if people saw what I've done there more interest will shine on Edge, but I don't want to release it half baked.