Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Julian

Will EDGE Die?

Temperature altercations, eh? Do the air molecules start punching each other then? And I really doubt that it is lithium that the chip is made out of -- lithium burns up rather quickly in air and water, so it has to be stored under oil. As for our 'sub-human intelligences', remove the
word 'intelligences' and you have a great description of the Führer George Bush.
Btw, you can make plutonium by taking uranium, placing it in the middle of a nuclear reactor, and then extracting it from the glowing sample. Just like that. :)

As far as EDGE goes, it should be maintained! Not least because I'm currently developing a rather large and juicy EDGE level to be accompanied by a sinister piece of Japanese experimental music. (an extract from Maki Ishii's "Search in Gray II", in case you're interested.)

The only thing I'd hasten to say is, improve the MP3 code! Use a decent MP3 codec instead of one that fuzzes up everything and makes it sound like an aquarium.

Hirogen2: That don't change the fact that FS is still a more powerful script than ACS. I didn't say I liked everything in FS and figured it the king of scripts or anything..

I've already commented on this myself several times.. But noone ever listen.

Guest Matt

Hah, like you'd actually be able to spread a virus to anyone else.

More likely that's what your problem is - one of your own "viruses" (read: "skr1ptz") got you.

And for the record, it's "language.ldf" that's missing - could be that you've got the rest of the DDF files in the same directory as the .EXE, try moving them OUT of that directory.

The human brain contains roughly 100,000,000,000 cells, each with up to 10,000 connections to others.

The amount of computer-style instructions per second as performed by the human brain has been estimated to 100,000,000,000,000.

The reason why computers are faster than the human brain at for example arithmetics is that computers are 100% digitally precise. So it takes only 1 operation to add two numbers. Since the human brain is analogue and unprecise, it has to use a massive amount of brain cells for a small amount of digital information.

The reason why the brain is faster and more powerful than computers when it comes to most other things is the nonlinearity. The brain does some HEAVY multitasking, with 10,000's of cells and all their different connections active at once for a single task. Computers can only do one or a few tasks at a time.

Note: if the brain was able to do _digital_ and _precise_ multitasking of such complexity, any person would be able to calculate a billion decimals of PI in a second with only his brain.

But since the brain is analogue and unprecise, it is only really skilled at analogue tasks, which would be the general process of controlling a human body.

Briefly; computers are digital, linear and do things right. The human brain is analog, nonlinear and does things _almost_ right.

If technology continues to evolve with the speed it does today, it will take at least 20 years before the most powerful supercomputers can even be compared to monkey brains.

Biological and quantum computers could change things though.

These facts are taken from reliable sources.

"Briefly; computers are digital, linear and do things right."

Heh, this computer hasn't done much right since I put Win98 on it :)

Guest kesler

I think this is a really STUPID way of talking about computer power. Any brain, be it human, or monkey, or whatever, cannot accomplish the tasks we ask of a computer, and if it can, it'll take a LONG TIME. So, why say a human brain is faster? Lemme see a person sit down with a pen and paper and try to do the math on compiling a 3d map, and do it faster than say a P60...not gonna happen.

Lets compare a cars speed to a humans walk...that about as relevent as the brain vs computer subject.

Just my opinion

Allright. We'll try something to prove how superior the human brain is.

1. We'll first of all take the test that the computer is bound to win. Say, find the square root of a 30-digit number.

- A computer will find it in less than a second, using exact algorithms at a very low level in the CPU.

- The human will need a long time for this. It would of course differ from one person to another - very intelligent persons would probably manage it in a few days.

Time for test 2; Find all visual patterns in an image with a resolution of several billions of pixels.

- The computer would have to make some insane work with this. It would have to check several billions of combinations for every single pixel. It would take years on the most powerful supercomputers.

- The human eye/brain identifies all patterns in the same moment you see the image.

Draw a conclusion. Like I said, computer and brain are good at different things.

However, raw processing power isn't even the best example. The most remarkable ability of the human brain is the memory. There's just no limit for how much you can store inside your head. Consider that it's analogue - you would need thousands of hard disks for what a brain can store.

Then we have some more abstract things. How much computer power would it require to achieve consciousness?

And how would you program a linear computer so that it gets intuition, creativity etc?

Guest kesler

Ok, a conscious computer...thats a bit out there :)

my point was only to say, for what a computer is used for, the human brain has no chance of being faster, and that works the other way around too...the computer has no chance of doing a brains tasks...why would you want more?...to argue with your computer? :)

Who is the stupid fuck who erased my message? AS I WAS SAYING before the nazi regime deleted my message;

1. LEARN TO READ. I did NOT say that all the information in a human brain could be fit on a chip the size of a grain of rice. I said ALL THE INFORMATION ABOUT A PERSON. So, technically, I am still right.
2. No, I did not get my info from any anime cartoon or -laugh- college professor, I simply did the math. I keep up with technology.
3. No, Lithium would work, just dip it in compacted oil cells. Maybe you should retake Biology.
4. If you want to get into the subject of human brains, which really has nothing whatsoever to do with it; the sad truth is that computer are becoming, if they are not already, technically and morally faster than their gray-matter counterparts. The majority of us(heh, not me) are fat, lazy, bearded fellows who don't know what "rendezvous" means.
5. Has anyone read "The Terminal Man"?

computers are stupid. edge is dead. w@velength is the victim of a secret foreign-language league that is slowly, and painfully inching his computer closer to the edge. computers have feelings too.

----------

that is the nature of competition, only a handful get support; edge is friendly to people who want to make TCs and other game alterations, but it's messy, and not very good for playing (so it's for making museum pieces few will touch, in other words). it might produce a few good pieces, but won't attract the best designers, at least for long or for anything big, as these would rather work with one of the two leading ports, or with doom, or a proper extension of it.. if a project is very good, it will more likely be based on a more solid engine, and, if special features are wanted, it will attract a person willing to specialize on scriping, or even a proper coder.

Get over it. FraggleScript is very VERY simple compared to the code you'd be writing to do the same thing natively. If you want everything hardcoded then try learning C and doing it yourself. You'll have 100x more trouble and end up with a system that is not even a fourth as flexible. Scripting allows for maximum flexibility in a small native code base.

It took me 4 years of studying to become proficient in C, C++, and Java, I contend that a weekend of work could have you using most of the stuff in FraggleScript, if you just apply yourself to learning it.

The FSII scripting engine will include support for ExtraData, which includes the ability to use spawn points by their TID number rather than coordinates.

Eternity already has a crude map spot system, but its limited due to current lack of the TID field on map objects, and for that reason, I've not documented it yet. Its likely I'll be revamping it soon.

As for whether or not this makes it into Legacy is probably up to SoM. If he is interested in putting ExtraData into Legacy, which I think would be a good idea, then it would have it too.

Some people have a hunger for good knowledge or good discussion or both.

If you mean by 'getting a life' you have a job, or go out on the weekend, or nail becky up the ass...well...everyone has/does that. You define yourself beyond all that conventional stuff..

Guest Excalibur_Z

Hey what's the native name of the Swedish pancakes (translated it means "thick pancake") that taste really rich and sweet? I had some of that the other day and for the life of me I can't remember the name. Tastes more like dessert than breakfast =P

english/swedish dictionary.
-----------------
thick/tjock
pan/panna
cake/kaka
thick pancake/tjockpankaka

tj is pronounced like sh in bush.

Guest kesler

Sad? This is a discussion forum you moron. If it's so sad, why are you reading it? You are the reason this forum has about 75% crap posted on it.

In the future, keep your thoughts to yourself, or take them to another forum, if all your here to do is tell us "how sad we are".

BTW, I have a life, and since your flaming stranger(s), how would you know if your life even comes close to comparing to mine, or anyones here? I work 50+ hours a week, skydive, get laid on occasion, go party with friends a few times a month, and generally life a full, happy life.

I don't want everything hardcoded, never said I did. Just the common stuff. By your reasoning we should get rid of all the linedefs and sector types and we'll just code every little thing. It's rediculous.

Pathetic. I only do this to annoy you geeks, and guess what, it works. I don't really give a shit.