Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #56

Back and better than ever is our weekly chronicle covering the latest happenings uploaded to the new home of Newstuff.

Andrew, you're quite a talented photographer.

p.s. Why do most of these people have foreign names? Maybe terrorists are invading through Doom levels. They purposefully make them really ugly to emotionally abuse us and weaken our faith in level-making. :]

You know something AndrewB... you photographed Enzemica in exactly the same place I was going to photograph it for my screenshot!
Great minds think alike... :D

Personally, I would prefer Zdoom or PrBoom screenshots, but these do serve their purpose.
BillyDoom - hehe
Galley is a cool dm map for botplay. those bots are tough! *especially since they can fire the second they touch a weapon...)
Out of Phase -- the gameplay is quite good, but the design could use some more work. Karthik -- take your time.. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Guest UAC PR Dept.

"Back and better than ever" -- back and more critical than ever? I guess you have to re-adjust to reviewing sub-par levels eh?
Actually, everything I've seen done by Karthik has been pretty good... I have yet to try this new map...
And yeah, ZDoom screenshots = better. 'cept the one that requires Legacy, that could be a bit difficult ;-)

And dammit, it won't let me download Scragadelica or the text for BillyDoom.

Kaiser:
if you read the info files on the ftp...
your wad must be accepted and screened before it is moved to /newstuff from /incoming.
This is the /newstuff chronicles.
hope that helps clarify it.

Screenshots are a great addition, but I would rather see them taken in a non-GL sprite-based port and with correct gamma settings.

Nice to see /newstuff return!

Oh wait, gamma settings. Of course. Yeah, they ought to be set at zero. And then brightened from there. Well, my job is only to present the prettiest picture. Tie a ribbon 'round a little pile of dog poo.

Lava Plant 3D crashes when I make it out to that opening area in the screenshot. I have the latest version of Legacy. ???

It (lava plant) works here, Ive only tried it in opengl though.

I think the screenshots should all be done in whatever makes them look best.

"This level has somewhat of a space-base-in-space theme, with sky textures in the floor and cramped corridors."

A space-base-in-space theme?

Oh, yes, w@velength. That's got to be it. It's one of those conspiracies that all those people with foreign names are in on.

A BADLY converted from Unreal Tournament - Galley otherwise known as DM-KGalleon.unr

BUUUU!! Leave already crappy maps alone!

(I cant get above 20 fps in it! Well I can if I look at the floor...)

no. it means that you'll probably have to wait till next week to see it; also, there's a directory for rejected files at the ftp. check it out, there might be something wrong with the file you uploaded (otherwise it's just waiting in /incoming, to go to /newstuff next week)

Yickle -- I disagree. Although Galley is no Brit11, it is still a good dm map. I recorded a demo against one of the bots. very enjoyable.
If it is based on a UNR, then it is a VERY loose interpretation of the map (I have played the UT galley map -- love dem boots!)

Kaiser -- Doom-Myk already answered your question pretty much. but...
there are directions on the ftp.
upload your zipfile and a similarly named descriptive textfile to the MASTER /incoming directory.
that is all you need to do. :)

several people have been having trouble getting it to send, just re-try it if it fails.

I revise my earlier statement:

I think the screenshots should be taken in whatever port the project is built for, using the lowest common denominator.

As far as the gamma is concerned, I just had people tell me my monitor is too dark, and now you're telling me it's too light. I think you all need to learn how to calibrate your monitors so they are colorimetrically correct. (yeah, that is a real industry term)

"I just had people tell me my monitor is too dark, and now you're telling me it's too light."

Then, turn up the brightness to make it brighter, and glue on a few bricks to make it heavier :P

Scrag. -- sorry man, no way I have time. they do look like fun maps -- but then that is not a hard thing to acheive with Doom...

Guest Rick Clark

Galley isn't based on anything, other than a diagram of a Galley warship. Of course, it isn't an exact representation of a real ship, as I say in the text file, since Doombot doesn't have the capability of making 3D floors. However, I think you get the feel of a ship lost at sea, and that is what I was after.

Opulent, thanks for the comments.

Enzemica is nothing special to look at but is a fun deathmatch wad for 2 to 4 players, good high fragging fun.

I tested Enzemica in StullKag SkullTag with 16 bots... it's a fragfest but it's playable and fun :D
<font size=1><samp>The only thing that wasn't fun was when it crashed</samp></font>