Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #57

Another week goes by, another eleven WAD files and twenty screenshots are given to you all, spawned from the diverse depth and bubbly bog otherwise known as Newstuff.

• Mystic2 by Andy Mckie - (img) - One deathmatch map for Doom 2. This map is very much inspired along the lines of the recently-released Mystic1. Just quite a bit larger. A round arena-style deathmatch map. Lots of metal platforms, lifts, and black pits which you must avoid falling into. Fancy floor-over-floor effects. A starry sky texture adds some atmosphere. Recommended for four or more players. Requires Doom Legacy.
  • Mystic3 by Andy Mckie - (img) - Another single deathmatch map for Doom 2. A very consistent theme in the Mystic series. This map is a bit more colorful. Three floors, red green and blue. Smaller than Mystic2 but a bit larger than Mystic1, this map is basically a revision which has a mix of features from the first two, and a little more. Requires Doom Legacy.
  • Europa 1 by Erik Alm - (img) (img) (img) - This is one of those amazingly, incredibly huge single-player maps for Doom 2. 11,394 linedefs and 2,407 sectors, totaling a blockmap size of just under 64 kilobytes. For those not familiar with such editing jargon, it's roughly 10 times as complex as Map29 of Doom 2. As gigantic as this map is, it can hardly be enjoyed because of an outrageous level of difficulty. Monsters bombard you constantly. Surviving is almost impossible. However, a lot of work is put into this map. Some very nice looking areas, with good lighting effects. It can still be enjoyed, perhaps on a lower difficulty level. Enhanced DOOM port required.
  • The Darkest Hour by Rex Claussen - (img) (img) (img) - The quality just keeps on coming so far this week. This is a seven-level hub for ZDoom, with a Star Wars theme. The work put into it is amazing. Each map is extremely large, with a more or less distinct theme for each map. There is a subtitled storyline brought to you at the beginning of each map, which is quite well done. There is an amazing number of new textures and graphics, not to mention sounds, sprites, and some extremely appropriate music replacements. It makes use of plenty of ZDoom features. Transparent walls, slopes, gravity. This is well worth the download. Requires ZDoom.
  • Project Slipgate by Various Authors - (img) (img) (img) (img) - 10 new single-player maps for Doom 2. Ten high-quality maps. All a very nice size, and with lots of different themes, all within the general boundaries of Quake. Yes, this WAD is very heavily Quake-themed. Lots of Quake textures and ambient sounds. A few neat special ZDoom effects. Underwater, ambient sounds to name a couple. You may find this WAD to be very enjoyable if you're just looking to relax with some classic FPS action. Requires ZDoom.
  • Oneweek by Various Authors - (img) (img) (img) - This is the results of the one-week mapping contest that has ran since July 12th, 2001. Eleven new maps for Doom 2. While some may look and play better than others, they tend to have a bit of an Ultimate Doom / Final Doom feel to them. Good playability overall. There are a few music replacements to keep things feeling fresh. Enhanced DOOM port recommended.
  • Half-Life by Doug Merrill - (img) - Just one single-player map this time. Not too much detail, and a very consistent theme. Very flat. This map consists of mostly hallways and rooms, all looking similar. Lots of small enemies to battle. Not all that terribly difficult, but perhaps fun if you enjoy blowing away a lot of small monsters. There is also an LMP demo included within the ZIP.
  • The Block DM by Pablo Dictter - (img) - One deathmatch map for Ultimate DOOM, running on E4M1. It's a very small map, using Wolfenstein textures. But it's pretty. Just the perfect amount of detail to make a tiny map look nice.
  • Brick DM by Pablo Dictter - (img) - One deathmatch map for Doom 2, running on Map09. This one is considerably larger than The Block DM, with a bit more detail overall. Brick and metal is the theme, mostly brown. Weapons are spread out typically over this four-way-mirror map. Very nice detail, with good lighting. For playability though, it may be just like any other flat deathmatch map.
  • Mystic4 by Andy Mckie - (img) - The series continues. One space-themed deathmatch map for Doom 2. This map has a few more buildings than Mystic2 or 3, and you can even go inside them this time. Pools of water, and three layers of blue platform. Requires Doom Legacy.
  • Leith2 by Andy Mckie - (img) - A very interesting deathmatch / single player map for Doom 2. This is a smallish medium deathmatch map, which takes place in a small area that consists of brown stone city alleys, and someone's house. There are a few ledges to crawl around, and windows to hop into, which could make for a very fun deathmatch game. As for the single-player aspect, it's a bit difficult and not all that rewarding. Still, a good piece of work. Requires Doom Legacy.

Guest pablodictter

should I keep sending old sp/dm maps to fpt?
i mean, they suck!
I sent them 'cause i'm bored out of my mind.

ummm.... the thread pages after 999 seem to be a little screwy. March 2001?
Alm's maps rock. (little too hard maybe)

Since the feedback on most of my maps indicate that they might be a little too hard, I will from now on try to make them just a tad easier (still challenging)... I will begin work on Europa 2 tomorrow, look out for it in a couple of weeks.

That's what feedback is there for anyway, to improve your editing skills, thanks guys.

After a while of playing europa1, it crashes ZDoom. Seems to happen when I'm shooting the SSG.

I know. I state the same thing in the txt file. I dont know about the ssg thing though, tends to happen randomly for me. Boom and prboom are probably the best ports to play it in.

I played with Legacy. worked fine for me..

About one week.. great music.. I only played to map03 so far.. amp01 and 02 was great maps.. 03 looked like something from a "1000 DOOM LEVELS" cd.

Heh, the quality may differ a bit between the maps, map04 is a great map, especially at the end with the cacos (you'll know it when you see it). Map03 and 05 may not be the greatest looking ones, although map03 is a tough challenge (map05 has some bad monster placement which makes it easy). Put all children to bed before you load map09 and map11 =)

Guest Virgil_

NIICE :))

Lots and lots of good levels to play. From what I gather from the screenshots, ima take a day or two off of working on my wads just to play through all the SP wads in /newstuff. Huge thx again goes out to Ty for resurrecting /newstuff. Did I mention that I'm grateful? :)

Virgil

Guest UAC PR Dept.

ZDoom is (or should be) just fine. Are you guys using beta 28 or beta 28A? Go to zdoom.doomworld.com and find the link to the "FTP directory" at the bottom of the page. From there, there should be a file you can download called "123beta28-333.zip," which you should unzip over the current contents of your ZDoom folder. Why hasn't this been put in the news here on DW?

If you are using the beta 28A, then keep record of your error messages and conditions and go to zdoom.notgod.com, click the forum link... etc...

The Darkest Hour looks cool. Very Star Wars-like.... I actually remember seeing the "Phantom Menace"... pity I can't remember any of the plot! :-) I don't like most sci-fi stuff actually, I'm more into the films of A.S.Hansen... whom I can guarantee you've never heard of. :)