Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Julian

Fredrik Wants World Domination

Fredrik Johansson has updated the Frad Design pages with a new editing trick he has just discovered.

I finally figured out how to create a perfect double sky. That is, one that does not cause HOM, does not block the player or projectiles, one that does not make any ugly streaks high up there. I am shocked that it took me a year to figure out this incredibly simple solution.

Here is a screenshot of the effect. The news post continues with some thoughts about Vrack 3 and its insane number of linedefs, and finally ends up with a scary and evil laugh and the promise to make "the most extreme DOOM2 map ever".

Btw, it isn't really a "new editing trick". It's just a very old one, with a modification that I think not many people have discovered. At least, I have not seen it i any WAD yet.

Guest gems

uh, isnt that just f_sky1 used as both flat and ceiling texture?

I don't recall seeing that before. Do all source ports and vinilla do this ?

I figured out how to do that a long time ago. I have an old (unreleased) Deathmatch level that's on a space station, with no HOM or anything.

It's actually not as simple as you may think. Especially not when you have a room that is 20000x20000x20000 units huge and want to load it with complex buildings and miscellaneous tricks that require bleeding sky effects etc.

Hmm. The way I did it from the beginning (Vrack 1) was inspired from a trick used in a map in HR2. That method is obviously not as good. Heh.

I couldnt find it on your site (nice site)but looking at the screenshot it looks like you just used f_sky1 for the floor and ceiling. You oviously dont have many wads in your collection if you have never seen this done before, its a feature I have used many times without any problems. (if you fall off the outside edge of some of my mystic series wads you will see it).

"it looks like you just used f_sky1 for the floor and ceiling"

No, I didn't.

And you are using Legacy for your maps.

I think it's on by default from the first time you start ZDoom. I have turned it off several times, but those changes don't save when launching from Deepsea (something about response files).

I don't know why it happens technically. It seems that it renders fine with just the empty sectors. But if there is a visible wall between the floor and the ceiling, it will cause the bug. Something dumb about Doom's rendering...

I could swear I have seen this in old wads (before Legacy/zdoom etc). A wad called spcial2b, which was made to show off all kinds of editing tricks had a whole room that was like floating in space, even the door was invisible once closed. Im sure my friend Joe Peat used this in a little deathmatch wad called EVA, way back in 1996.

Like you I have had problems doing it but usually resort to copying from the wads that have it already by writing down every detail about the relevant sectors/linedefs and trying to duplicate them. I suppose we should both spend some time on Mordeths help pages

LOL, I should have checked that link Mordeth posted first, its that spcial2b wad. Theres some really clever stuff in there.

Thanks Mordeth.

ooh look at me, I've found a wad effect but I refuse to tell you all!!! whats that? its already been discovered over 5 years ago? shock no! Well I STILL wont tell you!!