Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

COMPET-News

That's right, it's that time of month again! The DOOM-god hall of fame, COMPET-N has updated with ninety-one new movies of DOOM-gods playing DOOM. Among this update's best selections; the first ever Tyson demo(s) for E4M7, a new Tyson demo for E4M1, and hmm... It looks like someone stole one of my few records. I don't feel like talking anymore.
Update: Oops. I suppose I should mention that the site has an awesome new green design. It looks very snazzy, high-profile.

uh, before I look like more of an idiot than I already am -- my comments were made without seeing the site since I can't see it normally.
site looks fantastic. looks easy to update too, which is always a plus.

Hyena: Yes. no other exe is allowed.
See the site for details. -- remember that the Compet-N is very old by Doom standards.

If you're a NS4 user:

- Make sure you have css AND javascript turned on, otherwise you will get default black font. I don't know why javascript is needed to have css, anyone know? (its not needed in NS6/Mozilla/IE)
- NS4 doesn't like that the main textbox is transparently over the rune design, it makes the text garbled when you scroll up/down.
I made a solution to this by positioning the main textbox lower for NS4 users (it looks worse than originally intended, but it works).

Thanks for all the comments!

Yeah, the redesign is snazzy. Some people will disagree. But hey, looks don't really matter. The site is easy to navigate, fast, and chock-full of content. That's 96% of what matters to me.

As long as design doesn't get in the way of content -- then better is more.
Excessively designed (read: busy) pages are annoying and not an improvement... but this doesn't apply with the new Compet-N layout.
We are fortunate that DW has such great design -- nothing to interfere with the content.
lastly, although I will stick with NS4.7 as my primary browser until I HAVE to switch, I don't think any site should feel they have to bend back to that. If I have to use IE, you better make it worth my visit. :)

Guest Pirx

andrew b.: exactly. nothing else matters.
i'm using ie6 with webwasher (kills those damn popups) and don't have any problems with it.
nice work adam, that's the #1 doom demo site ever.
yeah imagine i had the patience to watch the e2m8 and e4m1 tyson demos...

Guest Pirx

btw, does anyone know another game with a comparable active community, after almost 8 years?
i don't think so...

Guest Pirx

doom is 2 years older. plus, i haven't seen demo collections for duke like there are for doom. actually, does anyone know a site with duke demos? just for the curious...

Demo recording in Duke is extremely buggy, which is the main reason no-one ever really made any. That and the level design really doesn't much lend itself to speedrunning. Deathmatch demos work OK, but I dunno where you could download any.

As for old games with an active following - well, there's Nethack, which is rather older than Doom...the Civilisation / Civ2 community probably counts, since Civ2 isn't much of a change from Civ at all...the original Championship Manager came out around 1992 and that's still a huge game in the UK, though it's been heavily updated since then so I guess it can't really count...can't think of any others off the top of my head.