Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arioch

Illumined Caves

Chris Lutz has updated the Chaos Crew site with the news that the Caverns of Darkness levels are now 100% complete and awaiting its custom executable, which is being worked on by Joel Murdoch. In addition, Chris also posted 2 comparison screenshots from E1M7 of his Phobos: Anomaly Reborn episode.

Guest Pirx

ok but i'd like to play those levels with a port of my choice instead of their custom exe.
derek: i use ie6, right it's from m$ but it runs fine, have no probs with the page.

Guest jmurdoch

ok but i'd like to play those levels with a port of my choice instead of their custom exe.

Sorry, no can do. The ports available aren't capable of producing the effects we wanted to use.

Joel is right -- we needed a custom executable for a few special effects. Currently, thanks to major advances with ZDoom's scripting capabilities, we could probably replicate the effects by using scripts; however, since we started this thing well before ZDoom had scripts, Joel modified the MBF engine for us (thanks, Joel).

Also: this wasn't mentioned in the news blurb, but I have added screenshots of P:AR level seven to the screenshots section (under P:AR "Levels in Progress"). Tell me what you all think...

Guest jmurdoch

Joel is right -- we needed a custom executable for a few special effects. Currently, thanks to major advances with ZDoom's scripting capabilities, we could probably replicate the effects by using scripts; however, since we started this thing well before ZDoom had scripts

Not to mention the ability to make new things, items, linedef and sector types. I think edge is the only port capable of creating COD without coding. But it didn't even exist when we began, and even now exists only as an unreliable beta, whereas MBF is an established and reliable codebase.

Guest Pirx

eh? wonder that too. when i looked the first time at the comments there was one by a guy named derek, afterglow i thought, talking about problems with the cod page in netscape 4.01 or so. that's why i replied. strangely, the dw page was showing "0 comments" for the cod news although there was this derek stuff already. now it's gone.
custom exe: if it runs fine maybe others will make levels for it too.

Guest Pirx

ok, so there was a derek talking about his probs with netscrap, and dw crashed. forget that. who uses ns. i'm just a micro$oft imp :)

Guest Pirx

with all this crash stuff we forgot to say anomaly looks really good :)